Hey hey hey!

My GrassRoots Kirk Hammett signature is bound for a re fret. They are worn and too low for my liking.
I bought Dunlop 6000 to replace them. Also known as Extra Jumbos if I am not mistaken.

Anyway, going into it without ever having done this. Just as with the explorer I am building.

So I am going over the frets with a soldering iron till it starts smoking. Then pull 'em of with with some customized side cutters.

Also never let your guard down. I did for 5 secs, the result:

Oh well, I see it as a natural way of relicing a guitar since I did not do it on purpose.

All frets gone.

Left = old, right = new.

When pulling the frets out I had little to no chip outs. Some light chipping did occur, but whether a fret slot chipped or not I put glue on it and pushed down a little. So It is ever so slightly more reinforced.
I'd like to see how this goes for you. I just noticed some of my frets are pretty worn last time I changed strings and am thinking of doing at least some of my frets. Should I just do the whole neck? It's only maybe 6 frets I would consider replacing the rest seem to be in great shape.
Quote by ChrisBW
I'd like to see how this goes for you. I just noticed some of my frets are pretty worn last time I changed strings and am thinking of doing at least some of my frets. Should I just do the whole neck? It's only maybe 6 frets I would consider replacing the rest seem to be in great shape.

I'd say it depends on the state of your frets. If all of 'em still have plenty of flesh you could file them all down and re crown them.

Option2: If you know what type of frets you have you could buy the same and replace the ones you want and if necessary file them down to the same height as the rest.

There probably are different ways also but these are the ones I heard of.
Just finished sanding the neck.

During sanding:

All finished:

I took quite some wood off I noticed so I think I will need to make sure the new frets will fit depth wise.
Last edited by Droste at Oct 20, 2011,
Quote by ChrisBW

I would do the whole fretboard. Frets don't cost alot and if you're already changing some frets, why not everything.
I pressed the frets in today. I used some epoxy we still had lying around to glue 'em. It was a paste instead of a liquid but it is ridiculously strong.

All done:

It turned out really smooth. Now I need to cut them and sand them flush to the neck. After this the next step is marking the frets and sanding them too see if they are all the same height. Probably won't need to sand them down a lot so hopefully I won't need to re-crown them.
i cheated when i did my neck. my old man is a cabinet maker so i used the bid horizontal belt sander he has. its like 3 feet long. i just took my time and tried to be as careful as possible not to sand too much, it was kinda a bitch but it turned out. looks like you got it under control
I'm in the middle of refretting an RG520. I sanded a fallaway past the 15th fret to see what the fuss is about.

Is epoxy recommended for a refret? My original intent was to add some glue, perhaps super glue.
Quote by W4RP1G
I'm in the middle of refretting an RG520. I sanded a fallaway past the 15th fret to see what the fuss is about.

Is epoxy recommended for a refret? My original intent was to add some glue, perhaps super glue.

I don't know if epoxy is the thing to use, I used it because we had it lying around and I couldn't find any superglue. I went out to the shops today to get superglue and glue the sides of the fret before clipping them flush.
I'm almost finished clipping the frets now. Also I'm scattering through our garage to find if we have some wood left over I can make a fret bevel out of.
So, I didn't make my own fret bevel, did not have the supplies for it.
Haven't done too much work, I don't have much of time right now. The Explorer build is pretty much come to a halt now.

Cut the frets almost flush with the board.

The bevel is an awesome tool!

Bevelled. From time to time I messed up and ended on the frets with the bevel file. So I need to take care of the scratches. But I need to sand the frets flush anyway.
Last edited by Droste at Oct 31, 2011,
Looks good but you forgot to remove the tang from either side of the wire before you pressed them in. Doing this allows you to fill in the slots with fretboard colored CA making the slots invisible from the side.

Also, what radius is that cork covered sanding block?

Edit: I just noticed the pic looking down the fretboard, the visible fret (24) looks like its flatter than the radius of the fretboard, so I'm wondering if you curved the fretwire enough?
Last edited by GandalfWh1te at Oct 31, 2011,
Quote by GandalfWh1te
Looks good but you forgot to remove the tang from either side of the wire before you pressed them in. Doing this allows you to fill in the slots with fretboard colored CA making the slots invisible from the side.

Also, what radius is that cork covered sanding block?

Edit: I just noticed the pic looking down the fretboard, the visible fret (24) looks like its flatter than the radius of the fretboard, so I'm wondering if you curved the fretwire enough?

I actually did that on purpose, I wanted to see the fret tang on this one for a change. Don't know if I will do the same with my explorer.
And the block is indeed a neck caul.

I did have to bend the frets myself. I don't have a proper machine for it so I improvised, I agree I could have done a better job I think. But also the photo makes it look much worse, it aint half that bad in the real.
I bought the frets for this and the explorer in a package all cut to the same length. Won't make this mistake again, some of 'em are dead straight and some even bend to the opposite of the radius. Next time I want to get 1 big wire to bend to the proper radius and then cut them up.
Quote by Explorerbuilder
That is a neck caul, not a radius block.

of course it is!
None of the pictures show it in use, but that makes perfect sense.

Anyways you're refret job is still superior to mine, and mine was on a 0 radius mandolin fretboard. (I neglected to use a soldering iron and got some nasty chipouts)

When I fret a radiused fretboard, I agree, I'll get a roll of wire, should be simple to get it all to the correct radius.
Quote by GandalfWh1te
of course it is!
None of the pictures show it in use, but that makes perfect sense.

Anyways you're refret job is still superior to mine, and mine was on a 0 radius mandolin fretboard. (I neglected to use a soldering iron and got some nasty chipouts)

When I fret a radiused fretboard, I agree, I'll get a roll of wire, should be simple to get it all to the correct radius.

Thanks! It's OK for a first time, definitely wanna do a way better job on the next one. I'm not that pleased with this one.
I just was levelling the frets and took quite some material of of some frets. Or what I think is allot. I'm a bit anxious to take more off so I'm going to test the guitar when I have some time and see how they are.

It's a guitar again!
I put a piece of sandpaper (400) on the 12" radius beam and sanded up and down the neck. I marked all the frets so I could see what I was doing.
During sanding I noticed I was taking off quite some material.
It really plays fantastic, I really like these high frets. Only thing I noticed is that my low E buzzes on all frets. I have already shimmed the nut and the rest of the strings do not buzz. Is there any advice you guys can give me? Only thing I can come up with is sand the frets even more. Also I think I unfortunately do need a re crown file.

Quite some flat spots here and there as you can see.

This is the action now at the first fret, hope you are able to see it.
Since you have a floyd, you might need to shim the saddle as well, especially if it's just the E string that's buzzing. Also, check your relief. Since your frets are higher, you may have to adjust the truss rod a little bit if you haven't already
Wine is fine but whiskey's quicker!