Page 1 of 2
Hey pit,

Passed my driving test today it was my second attempt, altough nerves genuinely got the better of me first time round. Also a good deal of luck on the day helps.

I once met a girl who crashed her car (not her fault, some idiot drove into her) just an hour before the test, rendering her car pretty much unroadworthy. Now thats bad luck :L

How long did it take you to pass? Do any of you have disaster test stories?
Do you have to use your own car in a driving test? What if you don't have a car?
I was told the test would take 25 minutes.

I done all the required maneuvers under 5.
1st try.

EDIT:

Quote by vagelier
Do you have to use your own car in a driving test? What if you don't have a car?

It just has to be car that is fully working and registered. though i myself used my own car.

The tester asked me to floor it out of curiosity.

EDIT2: Assuming US standards.
People in the pit take my post way too seriously.

MyAnimeList
7-String Legion

If you have a question PM me and I will always get back to you.
Last edited by Deadlock Riff at Oct 19, 2011,
Passed mine easily years and years ago...only thing I failed was parallel parking. But I never parallel park, my truck wont parallel park even if it wanted to, horrible turning radius, and I'll just smash up the cars anyways without any noticeable damage to my truck.
Yeah i used my own car, but if you dont have one i guess just use your driving instructors car, kinda need a car to practise driving though, otherwise its hard to pass
Quote by vagelier
but what if you have no car, nor anyone whose car you can borrow?

Then how do you practice?
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Quote by vagelier

You're most likely screwed at that point. Though as OP said maybe you can borrow the licensers car. If they're nice.

MyAnimeList
7-String Legion

Quote by vagelier

simple...you dont get a drivers license.

I started racing kart when I was 12 so by them time I got my license at 16 I could drive better then my parents, muahahahahahahaha.
2011 Gibson Honeyburst LP Trad. w/ SD Whole Lotta Humbuckers
2014 Gibson Ocean Water Standard Plus
Marshall Haze 15W Head/Cab
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 5
Quote by ne14t
simple...you dont get a drivers license.

I started racing kart when I was 12 so by them time I got my license at 16 I could drive better then my parents, muahahahahahahaha.

for racers having better skills than most.

MyAnimeList
7-String Legion

Passed it the first time. Thankfully I didn't have to parallel park. Since there's no where to do it around where I live, I've never done it. It wasn't on the test for the same reason I suppose.
Xbox Live GT: IX Michael IX
Quote by vagelier

Well, you wouldn't have a car to drive even if you had a license.

I passed mine on the first try. It wasn't anything crazy.
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Surely if you don't have a car you can sign up to a driver's school so they give you one...?

Really, the worst thing about my driving test was the wait before it. My nerves were killing me, but thankfully I did the test like 1 hour after, and by that time I was not nervous anymore.
Then everything went smooth, except the instructor scolded me for letting an old lady pedestrian cross the street >_>
I passed the second time. I clipped a dustbin with the wingmirror on my first attempt, other than that my first try was almost perfect
You cannot choose the little time you're given in this world. You enter bare and unclothed, provided only with intelligence enough to choose how you spend your time. You always have a choice. Always. Though be warned, your choice can rarely be undone
I passed the first time, parallel parking and all, but the friend I went with who was also taking the test failed miserably. It made for an awkward ride home.
There's a test in USA? wat lolno. it's just 'HERES YOUR LICENCE SIR, FEEL FREE TO TAKE A LOOK IN THE GUNSHOP NEXT DOOR AND BUY ONE OF THOSE TOO'

in all srs the 'test' in USA is a joke rofl
I passed third time. First time I sped in a 30 zone (at 32), second time I stalled at a green light causing it to turn red. The test is incredibly difficult in the UK.
Quote by Deadlock Riff
for racers having better skills than most.

Hell ya man! Probably the greatest thing my parents ever did was let me kart, learned a lot of respect for automobiles and really learned how to drive, awesome sport for kids!

You can get a car through a drivers school, but those drivers schools are freaking expensive for what they give ya.

Quote by s31770
There's a test in USA? wat lolno. it's just 'HERES YOUR LICENCE SIR, FEEL FREE TO TAKE A LOOK IN THE GUNSHOP NEXT DOOR AND BUY ONE OF THOSE TOO'

Where are you from sir? I myself am Canadian but I have no quams pointing out the foibles of your culture.
Last edited by ne14t at Oct 19, 2011,
Quote by s31770

It's true but in what relevance is that to the gunshop next door? >_>

in most cases you wouldnt be old enough to get anything when you first get your license <_<

EDIT:
I can just imagine every UK test involving a Reliant Robin and scared teens.

MyAnimeList
7-String Legion

Last edited by Deadlock Riff at Oct 19, 2011,
Quote by s31770

It's not like there's one standard test for the whole country.
I don't get it at all. Why do people without a driving license have a car there and why did someone say here to practise? You aren't allowed to fricking drive without the license.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by -sparkrock101-
I once met a girl who crashed her car (not her fault, some idiot drove into her) just an hour before the test, rendering her car pretty much unroadworthy. Now thats bad luck :L
How was that possible? Do you guys have to use your own car to take the driving test in the US?
Quote by Neo Evil11
I don't get it at all. Why do people without a driving license have a car there and why did someone say here to practise? You aren't allowed to fricking drive without the license.

I dunno where you're from, but even out here you get a goddamn learner's permit, and use it to learn, although we're only allowed to drive with our instructor's cars her, but certain constraints are placed in the US, I know that for sure, like not driving at night, and needing a licensed driver with you at all times etc etc
Quote by guitaro69
thanks Mighty Thor!!!!

Your throne awaits!

Put this in your sig if The Rake scared the living **** out of you.
Quote by ethan_hanus
Passed mine easily years and years ago...only thing I failed was parallel parking. But I never parallel park, my truck wont parallel park even if it wanted to, horrible turning radius, and I'll just smash up the cars anyways without any noticeable damage to my truck.

I drive a '94 chevy crwcb/extnd bed diesel...biggest turning radius ever...

No one ever parks next to me...It's nice...I never have to worry...

Edit: if their in my way, I can just push them away..and have needed to upon several occasions..
Quote by Pan-Tallica
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
But theres no reason why i cant be free like a raspberry stuck to the back of a horny elephants ass.

This is maybe the worst comparison in the history of comparisons.
Quote by mitythor666
I dunno where you're from, but even out here you get a goddamn learner's permit, and use it to learn, although we're only allowed to drive with our instructor's cars her, but certain constraints are placed in the US, I know that for sure, like not driving at night, and needing a licensed driver with you at all times etc etc

Wth. We get driving lessons here and you are totally not allowed to drive outside these lessons. That's how we decrease the mortality rate in the Netherlands. We also ban guns so maybe that's it.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
I'm from Ireland, and here you can get a learners permit once youre over 17 and pass a rules of the road test. By law you have to be accompanied by a driver with a full license every time you drive, but most people ignore the rule and drive on their own
Quote by Neo Evil11
Wth. We get driving lessons here and you are totally not allowed to drive outside these lessons. That's how we decrease the mortality rate in the Netherlands. We also ban guns so maybe that's it.

In Maryland there's a graduated license system. You get a driver's permit initially, and then you're supposed to drive x hours under all sorts of conditions (eg. 2 hours at dusk in the rain, 8 hours in moderate traffic on the highway, etc.) with an adult family member with a license in the car with you. Once you complete all those boring requirements you can go in and apply for a provisional drivers license which you have to pass the drivers test to get.

There's some restrictions for those with provisional licenses, but I don't remember them. I think there's a curfew for how late you can drive and perhaps restrictions on who you can have in the car with you. Eventually you get a full license without restrictions.
i passed with flying colors my first try. the only reason for it though is because we had a really good teacher. we even got to drive on an actual obstacle course in a cop car.

as for bad experiences with driving in general, i crashed once. entirely my fault. my mind just crapped out on me as i stared quietly at the stop sign. my car was totalled, the other car was but the other car was still drivable. the cops, emt's, and the insurance people all said that people normally die in crashes like it. to everybody's surprise though, nobody got more than a couple bumps and bruises.
Should be passing my practical test come december ish. My driving is fine, just need to work out a few niggles with roundabouts and things.

Passed my theory test yesterday, second time, which was a bugger. Sould have passed 1st time, really.

For those outside the UK, the theory test is fifty questions about the highway code/rules of the road, etc, and fourteen video clips for a "hazard perception" where you need to click the screen when you see a hazard.
The pass marks are 43 out of 50 for the questions, and 46 out of 75 (I think) for the hazard perception
Quote by Kensai

Awesome guy right here
car license was easy but getting my truck license I had to put in hours, a whole week of driving around with my instructor and filling logbooks, measuring pushrods on airbrakes, etc. not only did my company pay for the training, I got paid while doing it, :p
Quote by RU Experienced?
In Maryland there's a graduated license system. You get a driver's permit initially, and then you're supposed to drive x hours under all sorts of conditions (eg. 2 hours at dusk in the rain, 8 hours in moderate traffic on the highway, etc.) with an adult family member with a license in the car with you. Once you complete all those boring requirements you can go in and apply for a provisional drivers license which you have to pass the drivers test to get.

There's some restrictions for those with provisional licenses, but I don't remember them. I think there's a curfew for how late you can drive and perhaps restrictions on who you can have in the car with you. Eventually you get a full license without restrictions.

That's exactly like Ontario, canada
Quote by behind_you
I don't have a license and I'm 19. Is that embarrassing?

I don't have mine and i'm almost 20
I've only driven 6 hours total in my entire life.
Quote by -sparkrock101-
Hey pit,

Passed my driving test today it was my second attempt, altough nerves genuinely got the better of me first time round. Also a good deal of luck on the day helps.

How long did it take you to pass? Do any of you have disaster test stories?

Nobody cares.
Quote by thePTOD
I love you.
Quote by behind_you
I don't have a license and I'm 19. Is that embarrassing?

I'll make you feel better, my sister failed her learners permit 7 times in a row, no joke at all even our mom laughed at her, its $40 each time to take the learners test here. Also BC has the graduated licensing program as well, really lame program it helps keep the bad teenage drivers on the road but doesnt solve the adult/elderly problem.
Quote by institutions
I don't have mine and i'm almost 20
I feel you, bro

Quote by institutions
I've only driven 6 hours total in my entire life.
I've never driven my entire life
ggg1 ggg3

I'm taking my driving test Friday morning. I'm pretty boss all around, except for parallel parking. I can't parallel park my dad's truck worth a damn, hope it's not worth enough weight to fail the whole test on me.

In Texas we have a driver's ed program where you can get a learner's permit. It lets you drive with a licensed adult. You hold it for six months and complete a classroom portion of driver's ed while also driving every now and then, and are allowed to apply for a license after that time period. The test consists of parallel parking, then driving around a school campus, where they see if you read signs correctly, go the right speed, observe your surroundings, use your mirrors, have good control, etc.

After getting your license you are only allowed one passenger in your vehicle for 6 months, unless they are family, to which the limit is your vehicle's carrying capacity. No one enforces this though >.>

Pretty basic test lol
Passed the UK test first time with no worries. Tests are easy if you can actually drive.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Quote by behind_you
I feel you, bro

I've never driven my entire life

You should get on that then
Take Drivers Ed classes.
They're cheap and boring, but you learn shit and get at least a little driving experience and help.

I took it and learned a lot (and then forgot it all) and that's where the 6 hours of driving came from (it was required to finish) but I forgot basically all of it, because that was in June 2010.
Page 1 of 2