Not without a boost, that's for sure. You looking for home use or gigging?
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
the valveking probably won't be that good for death metal, IMHO.
Guitars:
LTD Alexi-600 White & Black
LTD Alexi-200 Black(Death Adder pickup & Gold OFR)
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 7-string
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Bugera 6262 212 loaded with WGS veteran 30's
If you specificly mentioned death metal, then you should either look for some cabs with Celestion Greenbacks (or any other premium speaker with ceramic magnets), or buy an expensive Ibanez Thermion cabinet, which is said to be designed for metal. You can adjust to your budget by buying used ones.
Tuebscreamer or something similar. I'd still look at alternatives. What exactly is your budget? Do you mind going used? And what cab are you running?
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
Quote by DarthV
Tuebscreamer or something similar. I'd still look at alternatives. What exactly is your budget? Do you mind going used? And what cab are you running?

My budget is probably under a thousand, and i dont even mind getting a combo amp thats loud. And i dont mind going used.

That's what i was wondering, what cab would be best for a peavey valveking, and is it good for death metal (or any alternative amps for death metal)
Well the valveking would not be my choice for that sort of metal, not by far. Do you already own it?

Have you checked kijiji for the GTA? You could scoop up a marshall 1960a(or b) 4x12 for around $500. Or $650-700 for a mesa rectifier 4x12 cab.

I do see a used 6505 212 combo, but damn the guy wants a lot for it. There's also a 5150 212 combo (pretty much the same amp) for $800. And even that seems high for Canada. Those combos are beyond balls loud. Actually pretty much any tube combo over 20-30w or so will drown out even the most skin abusing drummer.

Since you're in TO, you should be able to try out a bunch of different amps at shops. But I'm guessing a used 6506/5150 will be your best bet. Good chance that the bands, for the tones you are looking at, are running them.
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
Quote by DarthV
Well the valveking would not be my choice for that sort of metal, not by far. Do you already own it?

Have you checked kijiji for the GTA? You could scoop up a marshall 1960a(or b) 4x12 for around $500. Or $650-700 for a mesa rectifier 4x12 cab.

I do see a used 6505 212 combo, but damn the guy wants a lot for it. There's also a 5150 212 combo (pretty much the same amp) for $800. And even that seems high for Canada. Those combos are beyond balls loud. Actually pretty much any tube combo over 20-30w or so will drown out even the most skin abusing drummer.

Since you're in TO, you should be able to try out a bunch of different amps at shops. But I'm guessing a used 6506/5150 will be your best bet. Good chance that the bands, for the tones you are looking at, are running them.

Okay, so would the peavey 6505 112 be loud enough for small gigs and band rehearsals?
Yes. The 2x12 combo is better constructed and would probably have more gain (not that matters, it has more than you'd ever need...the 1x12 would be the same). But the 1x12 should have better cleans. The 2x12 weights 85lbs and might not be fun to carry up a bunch of stairs

Both combos can be hooked up to cabs. The 1x12 actually has an impedance switch. The 2x12 needs either a 16 ohm cab if you want to use the on board speakers as well. Or has an auto switch if the on board ones are disconnected (4/8/16ohms IIRC).
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
i would say if your are gigging, the 1x12 60 would do great. If you want the 212, i say get a head+ 212 cab.

I've got a 212 combo in the same style of amp, and i'm DEAD sure it's slipped a few of my discs
Guitars:
LTD Alexi-600 White & Black
LTD Alexi-200 Black(Death Adder pickup & Gold OFR)
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 7-string
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Bugera 6262 212 loaded with WGS veteran 30's
jet City JCA 50h and the JCA 4x12/2x12 can be bought new for less than $1000.

Bugera 6260 which is a knock off 5150/6505 and a diecent cab.

I know Combos will work, but I find it muck easier to move a head + cab.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by DarthV
Yes. The 2x12 combo is better constructed and would probably have more gain (not that matters, it has more than you'd ever need...the 1x12 would be the same). But the 1x12 should have better cleans. The 2x12 weights 85lbs and might not be fun to carry up a bunch of stairs

Both combos can be hooked up to cabs. The 1x12 actually has an impedance switch. The 2x12 needs either a 16 ohm cab if you want to use the on board speakers as well. Or has an auto switch if the on board ones are disconnected (4/8/16ohms IIRC).

+1

Listen to Darth

PS: I'm not real sure Greenbacks would be a good speaker choice for death metal there rv_phoenix

I'd look for a 6505+/5150 head and a maybe a mesa/vadar/avatar/type 2x12 cab with a Vintage 30 and a G12K-100 or CL-80

you can get a new loaded 212 Avatar cab with your choice of tolex, speakers, whatever for around $425. You should be able to find a used Mesa 212 for less than that.
I agree with these guys. The Valveking is not a great choice for your needs. It wouldn't produce enough gain. The 6505 112 is a good option.
I bet Charlie Brown's teacher's name was Mrs.Hammett
Last edited by Washburnd Fretz at Oct 20, 2011,
I used to own the ValveKing, and I play death metal. It can do it, but... it's a lot of work. You need a tubescreamer, an EQ, I used a compressor as well, new preamp tubes really help a lot... but at the end of the day, that amp just isn't designed to do that. You'll save a lot of money and headache just going with something that's suited for it like a 5150.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X