Has anyone ever ran two amps into the same cab?

I'm thinking of using two amps, 1 for my dirty tone, one for clean, but i don't want to lug around two cabs.

has anyone ever simply plugged two heads into one cab? is there any negative reasons not to do this?
Cream fan club member #11.
You need to have a load on whichever head is not in use at the current time. I forget what the product is called but I think Radial makes one.
Ben
You'll either need a switch dedicated for the purpose (a simple A/B/Y-switch won't do), or a cab with indepedantly wired speakers, so if your cab is, say, 1 2x12", you'd have one head connected to the left speaker and the other head connected to the right one. Many cabs (particularly 4x12" ones) can be switched for stereo operation, so you can do exactly that.
If you do it right, there's nothing wrong with it. If you do it wrong, you will blow up both amps and possibly the cab.

The right way to do it is to get a stereo cab and treat it as two cabs in one enclosure - that is, on a 2x12, have two separate jacks, one for each speaker, and plug the heads into them. Use an A/B/Y box before the heads to select them. You'll of course need speakers that can handle the full wattage of each amp, and the correct impedance.
yea you could blow the cab, say you take two 350 watt heads and run them into one cab... thats 700w going into it... thats alot
Quote by NewYngwie
yea you could blow the cab, say you take two 350 watt heads and run them into one cab... thats 700w going into it... thats alot

Wattage isn't even the biggest concern. If you just go ahead and plug two heads into parallel inputs on a cab, you'll effectively have connected the outputs of the two heads. That might result in some fireworks.
That's why you need electrically seperate inputs, like in a stereo cab.