Some guy wants to trade his 2003 Fender MIA Strat for my Egnater Tweaker amp.
He said it has Custom Shop 60's in it.

Smells like fish right? when americans go for 600 used and my amp goes for $340.

He met me at guitarcenter and I tried it out, I couldn't really tell if the pickups were fender quality.

The neck checked out, 21 frets, Fender logo, Serial is Z3019451
But the neck plate is blank =[ What does that mean?

The body was Blonde, like the seethrough blonde.

I don't know... Can someone help me out here?
The illegality of cannabis is outrageous, an impediment to full utilization of a drug which helps produce the serenity and insight, sensitivity and fellowship so desperately needed in this increasingly mad and dangerous world.
- Carl Sagan
Pictures would be really helpful. I don't recall if Fender was using engraved neckplates for MIAs in 2003, but I know that they did not always have them. The serial number checks out, but that's easy to fake.
MIAs have 22 frets....not sure if that was implemented after 2003 but as far as I know MIA=22 MIM=21.

EDIT: ^^Hi Colin^^
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Last edited by JKHC at Oct 19, 2011,
Ah, I meant 22 frets. For some reason I thought my mim was 20.

I only have one picture, i'll post it as soon as I can.

The tuners on the headstock looked like the ones that were on my mim.
Rounded and had the "fender" logo on them, is that a giveaway?
The illegality of cannabis is outrageous, an impediment to full utilization of a drug which helps produce the serenity and insight, sensitivity and fellowship so desperately needed in this increasingly mad and dangerous world.
- Carl Sagan
If I recall correctly, when a serial number starts with a Z it's a MIM from the 2000's.

Did or do any MIM have 22 frets?
Current Gear:
Mexican Fender Telecaster
Robert Smith custom Jazzmaster
Stratocaster
Vox AC4TV
Number checks out as MIA...you could email Fender with the serial and ask for the specs on the guitar

In my experiance they reply very quickly
american's can have 21 frets if it is a reissue of a vintage guitar. as for the pickups the custom shop pups all have a specific year (the 68's are very popular for getting the hendrix sound).
Quote by unicornfist
If I recall correctly, when a serial number starts with a Z it's a MIM from the 2000's.

Did or do any MIM have 22 frets?

Wrong, Z is for MIA. My HW1 is american made and serial number starts with a Z. BTW TS, HW1 guitars fits perfectly with your description and serial number (if it has nitro finish it definitely is a Highway One). What I know about this guitars is that some are great, some are good and some aren't very much. Try the guitar and see if you like how it feels, how it sounds and how the build quality is. Mine was really great thankfully, one of the best guitars for the money I have played, mine is from 2006, "yours" is indeed from 2003.

http://www.guitarnucleus.com/fenderserial.html

If the guitar is in good shape is a fair trade for your amp but it depends on what you want, I know the tweaker is such a great amp...

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Marshall Class 5C
Emperor 4x12 Silver Bells
Yamaha THR10
PRS Swamp Ash Limited Custom 24
LTD Viper 500 with Duncans
Quote by Perverockstar69
Wrong, Z is for MIA. My HW1 is american made and serial number starts with a Z. BTW TS, HW1 guitars fits perfectly with your description and serial number (if it has nitro finish it definitely is a Highway One). What I know about this guitars is that some are great, some are good and some aren't very much. Try the guitar and see if you like how it feels, how it sounds and how the build quality is. Mine was really great thankfully, one of the best guitars for the money I have played, mine is from 2006, "yours" is indeed from 2003.

If the guitar is in good shape is a fair trade for your amp but it depends on what you want, I know the tweaker is such a great amp...

"Z" is for ANY Fender made during the 2000s, so the Serial Number would check out for either a MIM or MIA.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Without pictures i dont think anyone could say its a fake.

There are ways to tell though,
Check the screws in the pickguard, make sure theyre in the right place and theres the right amount.

Make sure the string tree is in the right place, the headstock is the right shape, the "contoured body" label is dead center of the round part of the headstock.

The decal looks right, if youve bashed a few fenders, youll always notice if something looks off about it or its not straight.

Check the horns are right and that it feels like a good guitar.

The strings are straight inline between the nut and machine heads. Not like this -
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQTRXZI-O4emwUoBwgEugiKHDnzY89Ag-0Ipe-qw03yVD18E08WfaIYF_pt

Even if it is fake, if it wasnt obvious to you when you picked it up, you might still decide its worth the trade. May be a good copy.
Quote by kangaxxter
"Z" is for ANY Fender made during the 2000s, so the Serial Number would check out for either a MIM or MIA.

http://www.fender.com/support/articles/mexican-instruments-product-dating

Z is only for American made strats, MZ is for Mexican made.

http://www.fender.com/support/articles/u-s-instruments-product-dating

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Marshall Class 5C
Emperor 4x12 Silver Bells
Yamaha THR10
PRS Swamp Ash Limited Custom 24
LTD Viper 500 with Duncans
The only physical way to see if they're the pickups he claims to be is to remove the pickguard. The pickups should have cloth lead wires if they're CS 60's (as with the rest of the Custom Shop pickups), the standard MIA strats have modern plastic leads.

It does seem fishy, but definitely worth checking out. If his is a MIA strat play one on the wall at Guitar Center and compare it with the one he has, the Standards haven't changed at all between now and 2003. They should sound different and you should be able to tell if the pickups sound better than the stock ones. They should feel and play (within reason) the same as well.
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Quote by SKArface McDank
Smells like fish right?

If the guitar smells like fish, that's a dealbreaker.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Quote by kangaxxter
If the guitar smells like fish, that's a dealbreaker.

Or you could make up a story about why it smells like fish. Like "one time I met this girl so loose that... and then she took the guitar and..." (you get what I mean, it's a bad joke).