next month i'm going to be purchasing a new guitar and would like to spend around $500.

i saw this thing last night and i really like the way it looks. i was originally considering getting either a telecaster or something else with P90s (probably a Jazzmaster). this is 50 dollars cheaper than the MIM Teles and Jazzmasters.

but i guess they're made in China, which leaves me a little skeptical. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/fender-modern-player-telecaster-thinline-deluxe-electric-guitar

anyone have thoughts on this thing?
i feel like it's basically a Squier with a Fender stamp. But i've been wishing i had a thinline (or any other tele) with p90s for a long time. and if i bought one of the MIMs, i would probably throw a p90 in it anyways as well as gold hardware.

i could put the 50 dollars i save towards gold hardware or other mods. Maybe a different neck, idk.
thoughts?
Last edited by TonyRandall at Oct 19, 2011,
Fender doesn't make anything in China, it'd be a first if it were true, and I doubt it.
As for the Jazzmaster, it doesn't have p90s in it, but a different form of oversized single coils.

This guitar itself seems very cool, I've actually looked into it and found it very interesting. I can't recommend it as I never played it, but it does seem very good for the price you'd be paying.
I had the MIM Thinline with the wide-range buckers in it and it played like a dream. I really, really want it back actually. I could say that this would also play nicely but looking at the specs, it's really a whole different guitar. You will love that semi-hollow sound though!
Quote by Dunning~Kruger
Yes I was rude, and I was aggressive and I was offending a large group of people. But I was civlized about it.

Taylor 414CE
yeah, i don't know for sure that they're made in China,
but just about everywhere i've seen people talking about them on forums there are people debating this subject. Aren't some Squiers made in China?

Wouldn't be hard to make the same thing they're already making over there and slap a Fender logo on it instead to increase the price ~100 bucks. Don't know why Fender would do such a thing, but I don't think i'll rule it out until i see something credible saying otherwise.

I haven't seen anything that looks super official (i.e. from Fender's website) but there are numerous sources that point in that direction.

Just one quote i found after a 3-second Google search.
"The new Modern Player Series from Fender is a bit like the Classic Player Series's evil twin: instead of looking back to their heritage Fender are looking forward to their future with some of the boldest design revisions since the early 70s. What's more these Fender Modern Player guitars are incredible value for money because they're made in China where production costs are low and that saving can be passed on to you! Fender don't put their name to anything inferior so you can be sure just as we are that these new Chinese Fenders will feature the same high quality you've come to expect from Fender." ( http://www.andertons.co.uk/News/aid1112/modern-player-series-announced-by-fender.asp )

Again, just a rumor. If they are in fact made in Mexico, i can almost guarantee i'll be picking one of these up. But i won't be ordering one before testing it out in person.
I would assume the price is this low because they're new models. I don't know.

Today someone put a Classic Series '72 thinline on Craigslist for $500. If that hasn't gone by the time I have money to buy a guitar, i'll probably pick that up instead. But I won't hold my breath, i bet it'll be gone in a few days. That seems like a steal to me.

i've never had a semi-hollow. but every hollow body i've played or owned produced a lot of feedback. is that something to worry about with a semi? I play music like this ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgDiCWRTsU4 ), but with a little more distortion. I have a Valve Jr. that i love the hell out of. I play with it turned up all the way and use the volume on the guitar to control the overdrive.
Fender making guitars in china?

Im not sure how to feel about this. I dont doubt theyd have potential... But like you said they just seem to be high end squiers with a fender logo.

But CIJ/MIJ is the way forward. Scour ebay and stuff.

The neck is mahoosive on the '72 RI fyi.
Guys on the Fender forums have picked up a ocuple of early units and confirmed that the new Modern Player line is being made in China. They're the first MIC Fenders.

Don't bother. If you want a cheap Thinline, Squier do a number of Thinlines that will be the same as this but cheaper because you're only paying for a Squier instead of the Fender logo. If you want something not MIC then you're going to have to pay for it, semi-hollow construction always costs more than solid so if you want a MIM or MIA Thinline, well it'll cost you. No two ways about it.
Quote by grohl1987
Guys on the Fender forums have picked up a ocuple of early units and confirmed that the new Modern Player line is being made in China. They're the first MIC Fenders.

Don't bother. If you want a cheap Thinline, Squier do a number of Thinlines that will be the same as this but cheaper because you're only paying for a Squier instead of the Fender logo. If you want something not MIC then you're going to have to pay for it, semi-hollow construction always costs more than solid so if you want a MIM or MIA Thinline, well it'll cost you. No two ways about it.

that's kinda how i feel about them too.

did they say how well they played? i couldn't find any reviews on them.