Meh I just use my normal phone + iPod
30 21%
Naaaa too expensive...
22 16%
What's a smartphone?
8 6%
Voters: 141.
Page 1 of 2
Do you think smartphones are worth the money? Specifically the data plan?
For me, yes.

But that's because I need to access my school mail a lot.
I like St. Anger. Ridicule me, daddy

Quote by ErikLensherr

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
i dont have one i wouldnt know
Music is a universal language and it need not be translated, with it soul speaks to soul.
I don't use my phone much, so it's not worth it in my case (though I still have the plan for convenience. Samsung Galaxy is baller as well). Definitely recommend it for people who like spending a lot of time on phone-like devices though.

I do use it for useful things like looking up products on the fly, and that's really helpful.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Now that I have one, I couldn't really imagine not having one. but they take a huge chunk out of your cash. not just for the phone but for the data packages. If you do get one, get unlimited data
I smoke like Rasta, got hair like pasta
I be sippin' on them shots then bustin' rhymes like Busta

Load up the bong, crank up the song, let the informa call 911
Well it depends how you use it really. I've got my HTC on pay as you go, and for £10 a month I can get 100 minutes, 300 texts and 50mb data, which is all I need really for I use it. For me, yes, it is worth it.
Not at all. I used to have one, but I downgraded to a normal cell phone with text/calling internet, at a fraction of the cost, and I can still do most things with this phone than as a smartpone.
It is if you like that you can organise something from whereever you are or just need information quick, good for luls when you're bored on a tram or something.
yo.

I BELIEVE
Smartphone? Don't you mean my Facebook checking device? I pretty much use everything it has to offer BUT the phone part
UG Radio

Quote by ddrocksv3_4xpk
Thine Behold one rollin?
Quote by _T_H_R_I_C_E_
Lo, and the other lads be hating,
gallyvanting around,
attempting to catch me cycling in an unsavory fashion.

XBL: Panzyz

PSN: Dasan104
I check my e-mail often, browse the pit, cnn, msnbc,various other news sites, play games, on my ipod touch. im upgrading my phone in two weeks to a smart phone. It won't be a waste.
Just a sub-par guitar player..

Quote by darkstar2466
Let's make this the Pit's motto:

"Forever alone, together"

IS THIS FREEDOM, OR CONFINEMENT?! FREE MOSCOE_ESPANOL!!!
They are very easy to waste time with. And tbh, mine isn't really worth the money because I just call, text, Facebook, and play stupid games. Occasionally I will use it for good like checking the weather and internet or the calculator on it, but not all the time.
The world doesn't revolve around you. If it does, beware. You're probably about to pass out drunk.

The 19 year old who knows his stuff. Most of the time.
Uh. How do phones at your place work? I have a smartphone using just a regular plan. My school has WiFi all around, and my house is pretty covered with WiFi, so I haven't found the need to get a data plan.
If you want a phone that can do everything, then yes. If you want to look wanky and show it off, then yes. If you don't see the point in a phone where apps are more important than using the phone as an actual phone, then don't buy one.
hell yes. i havent taken a shit without catching up on the latest headlines and news in about 3 years now.
Remember through sounds
Remember through smells
Remember through colors
Remember through towns
-Modest Mouse, "Novocaine Stain"
For me, yes.

I use mine for maps/directions, paying various bills when I'm not home (which is often), keeping track of my bank and credit accounts, and doing job-related internet stuff if there isn't a computer available.

Very valuable to me.
My God, it's full of stars!
I have a regular little cell phone and what is this
Quote by Ian_the_fox
You're not girly enough of a boy for me, and you're not man enough to take the top. So like, sorry bitch but you ain't mine! Sorry.
Nobody buys a smart phone for the phone properties of it, they buy it for the laziness of it's gaming, internet, and apps properties of it, so they don't have to use a computer. I'd be surprised if any smartphone owner actually knew how to use the phone part of it.
I say yes. I check my mail, get directions, write down info, and other things with it.
Check out my band Disturbed
Quote by ethan_hanus
Nobody buys a smart phone for the phone properties of it, they buy it for the laziness of it's gaming, internet, and apps properties of it, so they don't have to use a computer. I'd be surprised if any smartphone owner actually knew how to use the phone part of it.

Er... it's less laziness, and more convenience. I can check my emails while I'm out and about, I can do my banking, check news headlines, find the cheapest servo stations near my location, sit it on my dashboard and use it as a GPS, check my heart rate (I'm serious). It's more than a phone, and for a good reason. I rarely use my PC for email or baking anymore, because my phone can do it much quicker.
Last edited by 'Leviathan' at Oct 19, 2011,
Quote by 'Leviathan'
Er... it's less laziness, and more convenience. I can check my emails while I'm out and about, I can do my banking, check news headlines, find the cheapest servo stations near my location, sit in on my dashboard and use it as a GPS, check my heart rate (I'm serious). It's more than a phone, and for a good reason. I rarely use my PC for email or baking anymore, because my phone can do it much quicker.

Lazy... learn to read a map, when the afockalypse happens, your smart phone is useless.
Quote by ethan_hanus
Lazy... learn to read a map, when the afockalypse happens, your smart phone is useless.
I want a smartphone but I agree with the map thing. My dad refuses to buy a GPS and whenever we've gone on a trip when I was little I would help navigate with an atlas lol. Much more satisfying than simply typing in directions.
Quote by ethan_hanus

What a jackass...
Quote by ethan_hanus

Ethan, you're retarded. Even if what you just said is technically true.
Quote by ethan_hanus

Why would I carry such a cumbersome item as a map around if I'm on foot or using public transport?

If I need to find a specific place without knowing the address the smartphone pwns bud.
yo.

I BELIEVE
Could live without it, sure, but the convenience of having one is nice. I think I've gotten my moneys worth from owning one. Checking email, mostly for business, is very helpful. Google Maps on the go has increased my satisfaction a number of times when in other cities. Browsing Reddit on the shitter is much more fun than reading a measly book!
i dont even know wtf my plan is, but theres no internet so i wouldnt need one. I think mine actually IS a smartphone (its an lg cookie) but its like a "budget model" type or something... i got it for free in the mail from my auntie, and she got it for free because she bought another phone XD
I have a smartphone, and I could never go back, but im also a security guard, so I use it all day everyday.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.
Depends on the person. I have no use for one, so I'd say no.
Castles made of sand
Fall to the sea
Eventually
I owned one for about a month then sold it. I don't care for smartphones.
I use

+

I only need a phone for calling
Last edited by tyguy92492 at Oct 19, 2011,
Quote by ethan_hanus
I'd be surprised if any smartphone owner actually knew how to use the phone part of it.

I know how to text and call on my phone.

do ai ween teh interwebz nao?
The data plan isn't that expensive but it depends on your contract. Also you pretty much absolutely must get unlimited data. If you don't you'll go over the limit in like a day.

Smartphones are only expensive if you have to have whatever the baller status phone is at the current time. I got a Droid X the week it came out and cost me 200 dollars + 2 year contract. You can get lesser smartphones at no cost beyond your monthly bill.

This thing is really nice though. I use the following regularly:

Photo/video
Email (because I connected it to my work email and use my cell# for work they pay for my monthly bill)
GPS/Navigation
Audio Recording (I record neat riffs I come up with for future reference, it sounds like shit but all I really need to hear are the notes and rhythms)
MP3 player (albeit not ideal for it, but it can do the job adequately, storage isn't an issue with micro sd cards, it's battery life that stops this from being a great mp3 player)
Notepad to write down anything useful so I don't forget.
Internet (I browse the net more on phone than on a desktop, and I don't have to be tied to a ****ing computer just to check my emails and forum PMs)

I'm sure having a droid x over whatever the free htc model was isn't much of a difference. Though the screen size of droid x is pretty damn big that's one reason I like it a lot.
Last edited by BlackVoid at Oct 19, 2011,
Quote by tyguy92492
I don't care for smartphones.
I use

+

I only need a phone for calling

That's what I do now but isn't it annoying carrying around both? I wish my iPod touch could be used as a phone and for texting out of wifi.

Blackvoid: Verizon and AT&T don't have unlimited data anymore
Quote by BlackVoid
The data plan isn't that expensive but it depends on your contract. Also you pretty much absolutely must get unlimited data. If you don't you'll go over the limit in like a day.

Smartphones are only expensive if you have to have whatever the baller status phone is at the current time. I got a Droid X the week it came out and cost me 200 dollars + 2 year contract. You can get lesser smartphones at no cost beyond your monthly bill.

Truth! I have sprint's unlimited plan and it's been good to me so far. As for phones, I get free Motorola smartphones from my cousin since he works for them developing the phones.
UG Radio

Quote by ddrocksv3_4xpk
Thine Behold one rollin?
Quote by _T_H_R_I_C_E_
Lo, and the other lads be hating,
gallyvanting around,
attempting to catch me cycling in an unsavory fashion.

XBL: Panzyz

PSN: Dasan104
Anybody that's saying their useless/only good for being flashy is just being annoying.

It's nice to be able to check emails, call, text, use GPS, take pictures, browse news headlines, etc. from one device wherever you are. And enough places offer free WiFi so data plans shouldn't be too much of a hassle.
Depends on how much you actually use the data part of the phone.

Do you really need that 2 GB of internet for 30 dollars a month?

And it's funny how it used to be unlimited for 30 dollars, but for some reason Verizon, and AT&T stopped doing that.
Quote by progdude93
my fetish is dudes with dicks small enough to pee on their own sacks.
Last edited by Jostry at Oct 20, 2011,
Page 1 of 2