The current neck HB I have in my Carvin is one hot motherf*cker. It's 7.6k and A5, but it's MUCH hotter than it seems. I need a new pup for a Jazz Band, and my little 15w Blues Jr. can't handle too much output, so I need a low output humbucker. However, it has to sound pretty smooth and full enough to fill a maple body guitar! What do you guys say? I'm looking something cheap, so keep it cheap.
Quote by blackflag49
Condoms, for all the copious amounts of pussy with which you will be inevitably bombarded from this moment onward.

Roll off on your tone knob, lower volume to about 75%, maybe less, turn down gain on amp to 1 or 2; 7 or 8 o'clock.

EDIT:

/thread.
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
Last edited by AWACS at Oct 19, 2011,
I was going to suggest the same thing as AWACS. Don't modify the guitar, learn how to make it work for you.
I concur with the first two. If people would learn how to use the pots on their guitars they would open up a whole new world of versatility for their guitars.
Quote by FatalGear41
In the end, the only question is: what bass would Jesus play?

I think he's a Fender Jazz guy.
Last edited by Alucard817 at Oct 19, 2011,
Did you try lowering the pickup?

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Yes, I've tried all of those methods. The main problem with them is that when I lower the pickup, I have to sink it way down into the body, and then it sounds EXTREMELY mellow and doesn't cut through at ALL despite playing with the EQ on my amp. When I turn the volume down, it gets muddy. I turn up the treble to compensate, it gains that terrible "thin but muddy" characteristic. I also can't swap magnets, because the magnet is glued in, and taking it out would most likely involve destroying something.
Quote by blackflag49
Condoms, for all the copious amounts of pussy with which you will be inevitably bombarded from this moment onward.

Turn your tone knob down.
Caution:

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
Quote by AWACS
Turn your tone knob down.

He said it gets too muddy.

Well, if you're into inexpensive pickups I would suggest GuitarFetish.

http://www.guitarfetish.com/Vintage-Split-Humbucker-Classic-Fender-Style-Neck-Position_p_826.html
http://www.guitarfetish.com/GFS-Classic-II-Alnico-2-Vintage-wound-Humbuckers-Black-Neck-Pickup_p_292.html

There's some of their lower output neck pickups, but check out all their humbucker sized pickups. They even have some humbucker sized P90s you can drop in there.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Quote by jthm_guitarist
He said it gets too muddy.

Well, if you're into inexpensive pickups I would suggest GuitarFetish.

http://www.guitarfetish.com/Vintage-Split-Humbucker-Classic-Fender-Style-Neck-Position_p_826.html
http://www.guitarfetish.com/GFS-Classic-II-Alnico-2-Vintage-wound-Humbuckers-Black-Neck-Pickup_p_292.html

There's some of their lower output neck pickups, but check out all their humbucker sized pickups. They even have some humbucker sized P90s you can drop in there.

No he didn't... Unless by treble TS meant tone. Which are two different things to me.
Caution:

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
Quote by AWACS
No he didn't... Unless by treble TS meant tone. Which are two different things to me.

Quote by bingeandletgo
When I turn the volume down, it gets muddy

I fail to see how turning the tone down will make it less muddy and less mellow. Trust me, I've tried pretty much everything that I can do without spending any money. I don't mean to offend you, but can we please just recommend pickups?
Quote by blackflag49

Quote by bingeandletgo
I fail to see how turning the tone down will make it less muddy and less mellow. Trust me, I've tried pretty much everything that I can do without spending any money. I don't mean to offend you, but can we please just recommend pickups?

This is just what I would do. I'm not sure if its correct. And since my whole contribution to this thread may be just one massive fail, here goes:

Okay, what guitar do you have? You have at least one volume knob, correct? And I'm assuming one tone knob on your guitar?

Try EQ'ing your amp where the volume, treble, mid and bass dials are all at "5" or 12 o'clock. Turn reverb all the way to the left. Set master volume to whatever you like.

Now, select your neck pickup. Have volume and tone knob on the guitar to full clockwise position. How is that? Tone too mellow? Switch to the bridge & neck or neck & middle pickups, or even just the middle pickup (I dont know what guitar you have). Or, turn up your mids, then turn up treble to half of what you turned up mids. Turn up/down bass to your liking

Tone too bright? Roll done your tone knob to wherever you like your tone. Still a little too bright? Slightly roll back your volume knob on your guitar, just a little bit, and turn up you master a little bit.

If this doesn't work, I'm sorry. Personally I don't see a need for a new pickup. I'm slightly exasperated, and I'm going to bed.
Caution:

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
Jazz pickups generally are made to be pretty bright, the idea being you keep the tone knob halfway by default. That's what most jazz guitarists do. You pick your gear assuming that the volume and tone controls will be in the middle. Then you can not only go roll them down but also up to change your tone. So just try that.

Carvin did start out by making pickups before guitars. Their pickusp are very responsive. If you're finding your tone gets mudy then I would suggest your EQ is set too thick. Try setting a more even balance between the mids, bass and treble and don't max anything out.