Page 1 of 2
i'll be coming into a bit of money soon so i wanna buy an OD for metal, (you know, gain on the amp boosted/tightened up by OD) so whats good for preferably under 100$? or something i should get used?
i was looking at the MXR's, the dist +, the dist 3, the 78 badass and the classic OD, or possibly a Boss SD-1? thanks!
-Gibson SG Faded
-Ibanez RG5EX1L
-Custom Upside-Down Strat
-Modded Epiphone LP
-Fender Acoustic
*Marshall DSL15H
>Ibanez TS9
>MXR Micro Flanger
>Boss TU-3
>Danelectro Vibe
>Guyatone ST-2 Comrpessor
^
That one.

Usually a TS9 or TS808, though IIRC there's not that much of a difference other than a few pots for tone and whatnot.
Where's Waldo?
ts808 or ts9, they are so similar that i would be very suprised if you could tell the difference tweaking the knobs a little bit to compensate equal to another. there are tons of clones. out of my TS pedals i have owned, believe it or not i like the BBE green screamer best. it seems to leave in a little bit more bass than the others.

also i am sure somebody will mention the bad monkey, i got one for $20 off of CL, and it doesn't add the same flavor as a normal TS, however you may prefer the different tone.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by NakedInTheRain
there's exactly two resistors of a difference between the ts9 and 808.

i thought i heard that before.

not to get off topic, but nakedintherain, do you know legally how different does a circuit need to be to infringe on patenting on another circuit? i know that has nothing to do with the 808 and ts9, but i am just curious.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Quote by NakedInTheRain
there's exactly two resistors of a difference between the ts9 and 808.

Why the hell did I type pots?

I need to go to sleep or something
Where's Waldo?
Quote by trashedlostfdup
i thought i heard that before.

not to get off topic, but nakedintherain, do you know legally how different does a circuit need to be to infringe on patenting on another circuit? i know that has nothing to do with the 808 and ts9, but i am just curious.

that's a big can of worms there. technically you can't patent the circuits themselves. you can patent the 'artwork' of pcbs though.
what's a ts7 like?
-Gibson SG Faded
-Ibanez RG5EX1L
-Modded Epiphone LP
-Fender Acoustic
*Marshall DSL15H
>Ibanez TS9
>MXR Micro Flanger
>Boss TU-3
>Danelectro Vibe
Quote by Dr.Tong
what's a ts7 like?

2 less than a TS9!

/kneeslapper

But really, I don't know. Im sure magicalraindanceman does.
Where's Waldo?
Hardwire CM-2's are going for super cheap brand new at Guitar Center these days (Just checked, it says they're $99 but I was in a store yesterday and they were brand new in the box for $65). Same tubescreamer sound/function, but with high/low control and a vintage/modified switch for more versatility. Plus, it might just be me, but I feel like they have more gain (Although I believe most of the time if you're using it to tighten up your amp, you have the gain rolled off 100%?)

.....Gah I type alot. Sorry.
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
Quote by souperman08
Hardwire CM-2's are going for super cheap brand new at Guitar Center these days (Just checked, it says they're $99 but I was in a store yesterday and they were brand new in the box for $65). Same tubescreamer sound/function, but with high/low control and a vintage/modified switch for more versatility. Plus, it might just be me, but I feel like they have more gain (Although I believe most of the time if you're using it to tighten up your amp, you have the gain rolled off 100%?)

.....Gah I type alot. Sorry.

IMO a tubescreamer changes its function when the pedal gets a bass control. if you have that there and the treble, it just doesn't do the same boosting as a regular TS does.

that is the reason i didn't like the bad monkey, it didnt really do what a TS does as far as tightening the lows.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
oh wow, i might get the ts7 then... i don't completely roll off the gain, maybe like 30-40% up? it works for me and sounds good, but then again i dont know what it'll sound like with a new pedal!
with the money i save from the ts7 (or even a cheap CM-2 as listed above) i could get a noise gate or a phaser
-Gibson SG Faded
-Ibanez RG5EX1L
-Modded Epiphone LP
-Fender Acoustic
*Marshall DSL15H
>Ibanez TS9
>MXR Micro Flanger
>Boss TU-3
>Danelectro Vibe
Phasers are fun. Don't get a noise gate unless you really need one.

N' GET A NS-2 CAUSE ISP SUCKS MONKEY BALLS

(Oh wait, do we not want to take this thread in that direction?)
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
The BOSS SD-1 is actually pretty decent for the price, but I prefer Tubescreamers. Although my Tubescreamer is pretty noisy.
Music Man JPX 6
Ibanez RGT220H
Fender 50th Anniversary Deluxe Strat
93 Jackson Std Professional (Japan)
03 Gibson LP Special
Alvarez AD60SC

Mesa Single Rectifier/Mesa 4x12 cab
Mesa Transatlantic TA-15
Hughes & Kettner Triplex
Quote by 3074326
The BOSS SD-1 is actually pretty decent for the price, but I prefer Tubescreamers. Although my Tubescreamer is pretty noisy.

I was going to say this.

My friend let me borrow his SD-1 while he is away. great little boost.
TS-7 is the best value for the money. I have one. Best $25 I ever spent.

A lot of professionals are starting to use the Green Rhino though. The MXR GT-OD is also very good.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Ignite
I was going to say this.

My friend let me borrow his SD-1 while he is away. great little boost.

Sadly, it's the best overdrive/distortion pedal Boss makes. And it's the cheapest.

God, I hate Boss's ODs/distortions. But not the cheapest one. Weird.
Music Man JPX 6
Ibanez RGT220H
Fender 50th Anniversary Deluxe Strat
93 Jackson Std Professional (Japan)
03 Gibson LP Special
Alvarez AD60SC

Mesa Single Rectifier/Mesa 4x12 cab
Mesa Transatlantic TA-15
Hughes & Kettner Triplex
Honestly the best pedal for metal that I've ever tried (and I've tried well over 40 different ones) is the Greenhouse Effects Nobrainer distortion. It's a bit pricey, $180...but it does ALL flavors of metal in a single pedal. It starts with Judas Priest type marshall tones with the gain basically off and goes all the way up to death metal territory, and everything in between. It's the most organic distortion I've ever heard.
Custom guitars, vintage amps, boutique pedals. Blah, blah, blah.
hmm... someone told me about a GC only MXR classic od? apprently it's a GT-OD but for 40 bucks
-Gibson SG Faded
-Ibanez RG5EX1L
-Modded Epiphone LP
-Fender Acoustic
*Marshall DSL15H
>Ibanez TS9
>MXR Micro Flanger
>Boss TU-3
>Danelectro Vibe
Quote by Dr.Tong
hmm... someone told me about a GC only MXR classic od? apprently it's a GT-OD but for 40 bucks

I played one. Was very un-impressed. They were blowing them out for even cheaper than that, I played with one for awhile in the store, and despite having cash to burn and the need for an OD, I didn't buy one.
the way huge green rhino is excellent as somebody else mentioned a few posts back. by far the most tweaking ability, and they sound great. i dont have to boost my amps though. Splawns dont need boosts. lol.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
As mentioned before, Green Rhino is pretty good.
Quote by Tyler Bro
Gauges or Diamond studs? I am getting one, which one?

Quote by Xiaoxi
Get a dildo. Says the same thing.
well thanks for your help guys, i found a slightly used TS-9 on craigslist for $75! im pretty sure that's a good deal, apprently its never seen a show, used like 5 times then replaced by a boost pedal er somethin :/ none the less, still gotta try it out!
-Gibson SG Faded
-Ibanez RG5EX1L
-Modded Epiphone LP
-Fender Acoustic
*Marshall DSL15H
>Ibanez TS9
>MXR Micro Flanger
>Boss TU-3
>Danelectro Vibe
Quote by 3074326

I too am in the market for an OD to boost/tighten the lead channel on my 6505+ combo. I will run the gain at zero and level maxed. I've been planning on getting a TS-9 for some time now, because I tried one in a shop and was amazed at the difference in overall tone and the pinch harmonics I could get.

But after reading your post about the SD-1, I looked into it, and they're like $40 new! I've owned a lot of Boss pedals over the years and have always been impressed by their construction and 'noislessness.'

If I were to go buy an SD-1 today, would I be let down and still yearn for a TS-9? Or is the difference in tone (as a booster/tightener for METAL) negligable?

(Anyone can answer.) Thanks!
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Quote by KailM

If I were to go buy an SD-1 today, would I be let down and still yearn for a TS-9? Or is the difference in tone (as a booster/tightener for METAL) negligable?

(Anyone can answer.) Thanks!

They are slightly different beasts. As a rule, I think the SD-1 sounds better with British flavored amps, and the Tubescreamer sounds better with American amps (like the 6505). But really, you won't know if you like it or not until you try it.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Dr.Tong
what's a ts7 like?

does the job perfectly well, for those bandwaggoners you can check out a member on here who's name i can't remember, catharsis studio or what ever. he's getting some serious brootz tones out of stuff you couldn't even think could get metal tones. and yes he uses a ts7 some times, basically no difference boosting your amp
I love me some MAXON OD808
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
^

I wuv mines.
Gear
Bugera 6262 Head
Harley Benton G212 Vintage
Ibanez RGA 121 Prestige
ESP LTD DJ600
Fender USA Stratecaster
Maxon O808
TC Electronic Flashback Delay
ISP Decimator
MXR 10 Band EQ
Boss T-U3 Tuner Pedal
I was in Guitar Center a while back and told one of the store associates I had a line six, but was curious about some OD pedals. I have a Line 6 Spider III 75W. He told me that with a Line 6 I coulnd't really use pedals, outside of the MKII pedal. I know that's crap because I ran a Zoom GFX processor through an old Spider II and it was awesome. Had a huge range of sounds that I could pull out of the amp. He said since Line 6 had all the effects built in I wouldn't be able to get any decent sounds out of the pedals/processors I was using. Any thoughts?
KEEP ON ROTTING IN THE FREE WORLD!
kay well that ts-9 for 75 bucks may not be available... but i did find a BOSS OD-3 for 70$, it sounded nice... not sure though haha what do you guys think of the OD-3?
-Gibson SG Faded
-Ibanez RG5EX1L
-Modded Epiphone LP
-Fender Acoustic
*Marshall DSL15H
>Ibanez TS9
>MXR Micro Flanger
>Boss TU-3
>Danelectro Vibe
Quote by souperman08

N' GET A NS-2 CAUSE ISP SUCKS MONKEY BALLS

oh F**K!!!!

HIDE THE WOMEN AND CHILDREN!
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
There's a lot of boss hate on this forum, spare some love. The keeley mods seem to be appreciated some, though. Never used an OD3, so I wouldn't be able to tell you.
Where's Waldo?
Quote by Yosambo
I was in Guitar Center a while back and told one of the store associates I had a line six, but was curious about some OD pedals. I have a Line 6 Spider III 75W. He told me that with a Line 6 I coulnd't really use pedals, outside of the MKII pedal. I know that's crap because I ran a Zoom GFX processor through an old Spider II and it was awesome. Had a huge range of sounds that I could pull out of the amp. He said since Line 6 had all the effects built in I wouldn't be able to get any decent sounds out of the pedals/processors I was using. Any thoughts?

The salesman used the wrong word. Replace "coulnd't" with "couldn't", and then replace it with "shouldn't." Modeler pedal into modeling amp at best sounds ok at low volumes, but usually sounds like garbage.
They are slightly different beasts. As a rule, I think the SD-1 sounds better with British flavored amps, and the Tubescreamer sounds better with American amps (like the 6505). But really, you won't know if you like it or not until you try it.[/QUOTE

would jet city be considered a "british" flavoured amps? Does anybody else agree with this rule?
-Gibson SG Faded
-Ibanez RG5EX1L
-Modded Epiphone LP
-Fender Acoustic
*Marshall DSL15H
>Ibanez TS9
>MXR Micro Flanger
>Boss TU-3
>Danelectro Vibe
Page 1 of 2