Right I want to start this off with a disclaimer that I am well aware that an electric bass guitar is never going to sound exactly like an acoustic upright bass.

Now that that's out of the way, I want to get as close as possible.

I have a now highly-modded Fender P and what I have already worked out is:

Fretless bass, soloed P pickup, onboard eq set flat, foam mutes... I thnk that's it.

I will be recording direct and mixing fairly low in a country/rockabilly type sound, just looking for any more sound/playing tips.
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Get Rotosound Trubass strings, they're heavy but they get that nice upright sound. I'd say play with the EQ to see what you can get out of it.
Install a piezo pickup in the bridge (or get a bridge that has one). You can get a rather convincing acoustic bass tone with one.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
I've got a set of Roto SH-77s on which are brand new and gorgeous.

The piezo is a good idea, but I'm kinda broke and have literally just finished this bass about 2 or 3 days ago

Would compression help or would a complete lack of complression be more fitting? Roll off the treble a bit? Also specific frequencies to boost and/or cut would be handy if anyone has ideas along those lines. Would playing with the pad of my thumb help?
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Play with your index and middle fingers together as one "super finger"
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
Nylon strings.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Pick with the fat, side of your index finger (finger parallel with the strings) around about where the 15th fret would be - really helps with the upright sound.
Current Gear:

Warwick Thumb BO 4
Musicman "StatusRay" Stingray 4 - Carbon Fibre Neck
Musicman Stingray 5 HH
Sadowsky MV4 Jazz

Markbass LittleMark II
AccuGroove Tri12l
Sansamp VT Bass
Line6 BassPodXT Live

CHECK OUT MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
Id also add a small bit of reverb, like a small box worth or reverb.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul