do you just strum the strings with notes or do you strum all the strings? Just wondering because im trying to play some regular songs on acoustic and not sure if when your playing power chords acoustically you should strum all the strings or not.
ESP LTD EC-1000 vintage black
sunburst fender MIM tele
Epiphone LP standard ebony
Mesa/boogie dual rectifier
Mesa/Boogie .50 caliber plus head
Marshall JCM900 Hi-gain MII 2500
Fender Hot rod Deluxe
No, the whole point of it being a power chord is that you only have the root, the 5th and the octave.

If you're trying to play songs on an acoustic, you'd be better off using the full chord instead of the power chord.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Yeah, power chords werent made for an accoustic, although they can sound ok sometimes.

When playing power chords you need to be muting the remaining three strings
Quote by LivinJoke84
Yeah, power chords werent made for an accoustic, although they can sound ok sometimes.

When playing power chords you need to be muting the remaining three strings

yea i tried that and they sound pretty good on acoustic when muted
sunburst fender MIM tele
Fender Hot rod Deluxe
Not sure what you mean... Do you mean play them like:

x
x
x

or do you mean play them like

The first example is how you should pl;ay them, BUT, if you're asking if you should strum all the strings or just the three that you have fretted it doesn't really matter.
Also, Polly by nirvana is all acoustic power chords if you're looking for songs.
?
Current Gear:
Mexican Fender Telecaster
Robert Smith custom Jazzmaster
Stratocaster
Vox AC4TV
Quote by unicornfist
Not sure what you mean... Do you mean play them like:

x
x
x

or do you mean play them like

The first example is how you should pl;ay them, BUT, if you're asking if you should strum all the strings or just the three that you have fretted it doesn't really matter.
Also, Polly by nirvana is all acoustic power chords if you're looking for songs.
?

What is the easist way to mute the other strings, i dont know if i could mute them with the rest of my fingers because i play most power chords index and ring finger or index ring and pinkey or would you just palm mute?
sunburst fender MIM tele
Fender Hot rod Deluxe
TS, you could just not hit those strings that aren't used in the power chord.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Quote by rockingamer2
TS, you could just not hit those strings that aren't used in the power chord.

dude, its pretty tough when you're not muting the other strings, especially in fast chord changes.

x
x
x

that is a great way to play a power chord. its how most people do it (kurt cobain being my favorite of those people :P)