So we've been with Virgin for a while and we've sort of gotten fed up with them abit.
For one, they overcharged us for nothing; we rarely use the phone yet we managed to rack up £120 in our last monthly bill which is ridiculous considering we aren't charged per hour for our broadband service.
They're very slow to act as far as helping goes -- I'll elaborate on this later -- yet when we're slightly behind on our bills they cut us off as quick as possible.

We didn't really know whether or not we had any right to make some kind of complaint about this (although, charging £120 for something that was supposed to be costing us £40 is abit shady) so we didn't.

However, our last straw was when they...*drumroll*...Gave our home number to someone else. Whenever someone phoned 'us' they'd end up talking to some random person they'd never met before.
They said they'd fix it within a week and gave a very vague time for when they'd actually come to fix the problem.
We since moved to Sky, we don't care about the slower broadband (I've heard Virgin is the fastest) because we don't have to pay ridiculous amounts and get underhanded by our providers.

Has anybody else had problems with Virgin before? Is this stuff valid for a court-case or, at the very least, a formal complaint? Is Sky any better?

Tl;dr: Virgin were being assholes, moved to Sky, wondering if I can get some compensation, wondering is Sky is any better.
Breakfast, Breakfast, it's great for us
We eat, we eat, we eat
That frozen meat
Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy, it can't be beat
I'm with Virgin, and everything you've just said I have never had a problem with.
Quote by Flying Couch
I have nothing to say about Virgin, but your avatar amuses me to no end, TS.

Don't hate on King Crimson.
Quote by blake1221
Don't hate on King Crimson.

Seeing that avatar just makes me imagine "21st Century Schizoid Man" or "Moonchild" being played in a major key or something. It's just so happy.
Quote by Flying Couch

It was a 'FFFFFUUUUUU' that genghisgandhi made. I'll need to thank him for making it.
Hope he doesn't get mad about me using it.

OT: So, you think I should do something about this?
We eat, we eat, we eat
That frozen meat
Quote by Crazyedd123

OT: So, you think I should do something about this?

Get an itemised phone bill that says what you've spent. They can't just take £120 and not show you why. And about the number thing, they gave your number to someone else with your area code? Or just your number?
Quote by Kumanji
Sky are unbelievably awful, we've just moved from Sky to Virgin

Basically, they're all as shit as one another.

/Thread right there

its true, I use Rogers here and they dick me around and stuff to its the corporate way!
2011 Gibson Honeyburst LP Trad. w/ SD Whole Lotta Humbuckers
2014 Gibson Ocean Water Standard Plus
Marshall Haze 15W Head/Cab
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 5
Quote by Flying Couch
This.
You are now using UG Black.
You are now using UG Classic.

Listening to: Chick Corea, Yes, Genesis, Jethro Tull

It is I, the mighty shitkicker, as prophesied by JustRooster. Obey me.
The avatar aint mine but, this is only because I suck at paint/photoshop. I've always wanted to do that to the album cover.
We eat, we eat, we eat
That frozen meat
Last edited by Crazyedd123 at Oct 20, 2011,
Quote by andyscoot
Get an itemised phone bill that says what you've spent. They can't just take £120 and not show you why. And about the number thing, they gave your number to someone else with your area code? Or just your number?

I'm not sure if it's the same area code but, basically if someone calls that number, they get put through to the random guy and not us
We eat, we eat, we eat
That frozen meat
Quote by Crazyedd123
So we've been with Virgin for a while and we've sort of gotten fed up with them abit.
For one, they overcharged us for nothing; we rarely use the phone yet we managed to rack up £120 in our last monthly bill which is ridiculous considering we aren't charged per hour for our broadband service.
They're very slow to act as far as helping goes -- I'll elaborate on this later -- yet when we're slightly behind on our bills they cut us off as quick as possible.

We didn't really know whether or not we had any right to make some kind of complaint about this (although, charging £120 for something that was supposed to be costing us £40 is abit shady) so we didn't.

However, our last straw was when they...*drumroll*...Gave our home number to someone else. Whenever someone phoned 'us' they'd end up talking to some random person they'd never met before.
They said they'd fix it within a week and gave a very vague time for when they'd actually come to fix the problem.
We since moved to Sky, we don't care about the slower broadband (I've heard Virgin is the fastest) because we don't have to pay ridiculous amounts and get underhanded by our providers.

Has anybody else had problems with Virgin before? Is this stuff valid for a court-case or, at the very least, a formal complaint? Is Sky any better?

Tl;dr: Virgin were being assholes, moved to Sky, wondering if I can get some compensation, wondering is Sky is any better.

I used to work for Virgin so I'll be as helpful as I can but I am just off out so might not reply for a while after this.

Firstly, explain that £120 to me. They will have sent you through an itemised bill.

It sounds to me like that might be a last month + next month bill, which is the horrendous threat they use when people miss a payment. You can always call them and pay a partial bill to get your services restored if you get cut off, don't get scared by how much they are demanding, it's mostly bullshit.

Are you sure the phone isn't being used? You said that your number has been given away. Check your itemised bill. Call the numbers listed. It may well be that they are charging you for someone else's usage.

Finally, about the number porting thing, that is a genuine mistake but it seems like two simultaneous mistakes, they will treat them as separate issues unfortunately.

As for your final two questions: No. Infact, if you left within your first 12 months with Virgin, they will pursue you for the charges, since you signed into a years' contract with them. And Sky are really really awful. Owned by Murdoch. Internet slow as hell. Require you to take a phone line. Awful awful customer service. If you think Virgin is bad, wait until your Sky goes down.

Let me know if I can help regarding deciphering the charges though.
Nothing that bad, I usually get good service from them, but something kinda shady happend a month or so ago when I went back to my UK house.

We called Virgin up because our cable TV box is ancient and finicky to get a replacement, which we got. Since we get the landline, tv and internet all from Virgin and have had the connections from before Virgin bought out Blueyonder, they were offering us a loyal customer discout upgrade from 20MB to Optic (whatever speed it is).
Thought about it for a while, but couldnt be bothered with arranging someone to come round to change everything and to be honest, the speed is fine as it is right now- so we declined.
They tried to tempt us a few more times before they gave up and hung up, but thought nothing of it.

Next couple days the internet is choppy, goes down for a couple hours throughout the day- completely out of the blue, usually the internet is fine, never been choppy at all and minimal downtime.

Didnt bother calling up, everything went back to normal again and it was probably just a coincidence. Still kinda fishy though.
PSN: Shibuib
Steam: Drag_on88rr@hotmail.com
add me

Elvis Presley aint got no soul, Chuck Berry is rock and roll.

日本語をシグに入れるのは馬鹿やキザ野郎のする事だぜ。
They're crap but you can get them to sort shit out by getting angry at them over the phone apparently.

Explains why my internet right now is so much win >_>
Quote by the_white_bunny
your just a simpleton that cant understand strategy apparently.

Quote by the_white_bunny
all hail king of the penis sucking(i said balls. you said dick for some reason?) Isabiggles
They shouldn't even be called Virgin with the amount of people they've ****ed.
And Sky and TalkTalk aren't much better either lol
The time has come for all to see

The men behind the curtain cast at you disease

Yours Sincerely
Unfortunately, I can't look at the bills atm (I'm in Coventry in Uni and they're in Birmingham).
It is likely that the £120 is a cumulative bill of the last few months. We've been having trouble with money so we want to switch to something that doesn't cost as much.

I really hope Sky isn't that bad
We eat, we eat, we eat
That frozen meat
Quote by isabiggles
They're crap but you can get them to sort shit out by getting angry at them over the phone apparently.

Explains why my internet right now is so much win >_>

I've actually heard that this works fairly good with phone companies.
sim simma

who got the keys to my beema
Quote by Nick92Slayer
They shouldn't even be called Virgin with the amount of people they've ****ed.
And Sky and TalkTalk aren't much better either lol

Atm my rectum looks like the Virgin symbol

We eat, we eat, we eat
That frozen meat
I really like that you like Primus. SKY's fine for me, never tried Virgin tho
last month i told virgin that i was going to switch to sky. to try and get me to stay with them they offered me cheaper calls and money towards a free view box...... o_O
Quote by Demons&Wizards
last month i told virgin that i was going to switch to sky. to try and get me to stay with them they offered me cheaper calls and money towards a free view box...... o_O

You lucky.........AAAAARGH!!!
We eat, we eat, we eat
That frozen meat
Quote by Basti95
I really like that you like Primus. SKY's fine for me, never tried Virgin tho

I'm learning the guitar part for 'Lee Van Cleef' by ear
We eat, we eat, we eat
That frozen meat
Quote by Crazyedd123
I'm not sure if it's the same area code but, basically if someone calls that number, they get put through to the random guy and not us

Well, if you call my number from within my area code you'll get to me, call it from outside the area code and you'll get through to the person who's number it is in that area. I found that out when ringing home from a friends house and an old fellow answered.