Hi, I was looking for the right place to post this, the posts about recording are for demos, so I decided to go to accessories. Sorry if I posted in the wrong place.
I am looking at different software out there. In 2006 I bought a sony acid studio, which does not really satisfy my needs, I don't like the effects. Years ago I tried cakewalk and I was very impressed. So I wonder about their guitar tracks pro software, and I am also looking at a cheaper version of Cubase, pro tools is out of the question. I do not discard Sony, although my experience has been frustrating.
What experience do you have with Sony Acid Studio, Cakewalk, or Cubase? or Audacity?. Do you know if any of these offer 30-day free trial downloads? and could you share some audio samples?
Here are my needs, to record:
I would start by adding a drum loop to the track,
then try to record the bass. Does any of these convert your guitar audio signal into a bass, not midi. I have zero knowledge about MIDI. I was able to do that with an old Digitech RP processor I used to have.

Then I would record the guitar tracks, either already effected from my rig, or clean to add the effect later.

Right now I practice with a Boss Loop station 2 which is great, but it only allows to record 12 loops, and 4 of those are already filled with great factory presets whichI don't want to erase. I also have a Line 6 uX1 interface that I use with Gearbox.

So, basically I want something to record blues, different rhythms, different keys
Also, to record my songs, and finally to practice new genres, for instance, I like recording U2 songs and play with effects, but it would be great to record different loops to mess around with. Thanks for the input.
The recording forum would be the best place for this - there are loads of guys who frequent that forum who have experience in most of the main software packages, quite a few work in recording studios so they know what they're talking about.

Of the packages you mention, Audacity is generally not regarded very highly so you probably won't want that one. I don't know if the others do free trials or not, but there's one called Reaper which gets good reviews and does a free trial, then apparently you're supposed to pay for it, but it carries on working without forcing you into buying it.

I'd normally recommend considering a multitracker as an option, depending on which you purchased it you could get one which would allow for more than 12 tracks and do most of the editing you want, but obviously the more tracks you want the more it will cost and you can't download additional plugins for extra effects so the unlimited tracks & expandability provided by software is probably the better option for you.

Try Reaper, and try posting in the recordings forum.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
reaper is awesome and the free trial lasts quite literally...forever
Schecter BlackJack Atx v-1fr
Ibanez Gax70l Duncan Distortions
Peavey XXX
Peavey MS 412
Marshall MA 412
EVH Wah
Ibanez TS-9
ISP Decimator
MXR Black Label Chorus
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1282549

otherwise, it looks like you have everything else you need.

download Audacity 1.3 - it is a great, easy to use program. you will need the Lame Codec there are instructions on how to get that. then maybe migrate to something better later.

i also use a UX1
I use Cakewalk Sonar. Utterly amazing. I find any discussion about DAWs ridiculous because someone will state "Cubase is best" or "You need protools" when they're all equally good and make no difference to the sound quality. However, if you buy the industry standard you'll be able to use other studios easily but it's never been an issue for me.
Quote by fly135
Just because one has tone suck it doesn't mean one's tone sucks.
Pretty much any proper DAW is capable of all of that. And really they dont sound different, thats more down to your preamps and AD/DA conversion.

You just need to know how to use them. Take a course or some online lessons.

The guitar->bass thing is easily accomplished just by adding an octave effect. It wont have the same sound qualities as a real bass though.

Your missing out on alot by not getting to grips with virtual instruments/midi. There's a huge amount of realistic VSTs that would work better than -8ve down the guitar.

Audacity isnt the real deal, reaper is great for free, sonar i thought was nice for a beginner, layout was simple and it was easy to get to grips with.
Ive never liked using cubase, thats just me, ableton is good but more for electronic music, I've had a quick look at FL studio, very promising, but pretty confusing, the tools are endless.

Logic & pro tools are my personal choices though. Just try a few out look at some videos see whats good for you.
thank you for all the answers. I finally could get some decent recordings with Sony Acid. The problem is that the Line 6 UX1 is very noisy, so I tried to record off my Fender Mustang, but I could not find the audio input from fender in the DAW.
All suggestions sound great, specially taking a class on using midi. I don't know if I am ready for that investment yet, but I will at some point. I am very drawn to guitar tracks pro.