Hey guys, so I'm wanting to buy a dual lock design straplock by Dunlop, it's like 17 dollars over here in Armenia which is a bit surprising (cause usually things cost thrice the original price).

Anyways, awhile ago my stock strap button screws came loose so I substituted them with new screws and plugs, the question is if I remove the stock buttons and put the new straplock ones will the plug/screw work cause I don't want to drill the hole for the new screws and the plugs are really well fitted and tight and nice?
That's the price: about 20 USD. As for the holes, it depends on your guitar. I've put Dunlop straplocks on two types of guitars: two pairs on a Strat- and Tele-style respectively, and one on a Les Paul-type axe. I could (and had to) use the original screws of the Strat- and Tele-style guitars, because Dunlop screws were different than the hole. As for the Les Paul, that's a different story. Original LPs screws weren't usable, because of straplock's design. Dunlop screws were VERY hard to fit in, so make sure you have a good screwdriver (with a narrow pole and a head matching the screw tip-top, preferably a titanium or vidia screwdriver). Otherwise, you might have to consider other straplocking systems.
I think it depends on the guitar. I had to drill deeper holes in the strat, but the SG's were deep enough without drilling.

Also, in both cases the old screws would not fit through the metal strap lock button hole, so I HAD to use the screws that came with the strap locks.

Once again, I think all of these scenarios's depend on the guitar.

I got one set of Dunlop strap locks from guitarcenter online and they were only like $10, but before that I bought them at the guitarcenter store and they were like $17.
Matt-
Black Gibson SG - Gibson Dirty Fingers Coil Split/ Seymour Duncan 59' HB
Brown Satin Gibson SG - Seymour Duncan Invader
Squier 60's Classic Vibe Strat
Epiphone Electric Accoustic
Marshall Valvestate
Fender Mustang II
Boss DS-1
Vox Wah
Mine were about 15 USD, in a music shop in the EU. I saw them elsewhere at around 20.
I know that with my Schecter, for Dunlop locks, I had to drill a bit further. and I couldn't use the old screws cause the head of the screw prevented it to go to the bottom of the button like it's supposed to. If you can, get Schaller locks. very secure, and simple to install, and you don't have to drill new holes. I got Schallers for my new PRS
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
Quote by randomhero93
I know that with my Schecter, for Dunlop locks, I had to drill a bit further. and I couldn't use the old screws cause the head of the screw prevented it to go to the bottom of the button like it's supposed to. If you can, get Schaller locks. very secure, and simple to install, and you don't have to drill new holes. I got Schallers for my new PRS

hmm schaller seems a bit less secure to be honest. from pictures at least ,I doubt I'll be able to get em anyways, but it looks like if you just lift your guitar the strap will just stay hanging...

as for my question, my concern is that I have plugs in the holes for the screws so I wouldn't want to go thru the whole process of removing plugs and then drilling further and whatnot, I just want to use my current plugs with my current screws which fit the Fender's cone strap buttons with the straplocks I guess if the head fits then the rest is all fine cause the plugs are really tight now
Quote by Vendetta V
hmm schaller seems a bit less secure to be honest. from pictures at least ,I doubt I'll be able to get em anyways, but it looks like if you just lift your guitar the strap will just stay hanging...

as for my question, my concern is that I have plugs in the holes for the screws so I wouldn't want to go thru the whole process of removing plugs and then drilling further and whatnot, I just want to use my current plugs with my current screws which fit the Fender's cone strap buttons with the straplocks I guess if the head fits then the rest is all fine cause the plugs are really tight now

you'd actually be quite surprised about how sturdy they actually are. I trust them more than the Dunlop ones.

anyways, the screws that the Dunlop ones come with are a bit longer than most screws, so you MAY have to drill. not definite. if you plan on using the old screws, you gotta make sure that the screw goes all the way through the button, or it won't work.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"