So the Ibanez FRM100 is up for sale now to people, who's getting one or has tried one already? Really looking forward to getting one of these.

Specs:
• Neck Material: 3 piece Mahogany/ Maple
• Neck Type: FRM100
• Body: Mahogany body
• Frets: Medium frets
• Fingerboard: Rosewood
• Inlay: Pearl dot inlay
• Bridge: Tight Tune bridge
• Neck Pickup: DiMarzio Injector Neck
• Middle Pickup: DiMarzio Area '67
• Bridge Pickup: DiMarzio Injector Bridge
• Hardware Color: Chrome
• Finishes: Transparent Red
Made in China
$900 new
Last edited by Ghold125 at Oct 20, 2011,
Where is it made, and how much does it cost?

That thing's gotta weigh like 12 lbs
I believe it's MIC and 12lbs seems about right, the shipping weight is 15lbs from zzsounds.
I would love to try one, but I will probably never see one in person. Personally, I think it's ugly. even moreso in red. And I don't buy Indonesian, Chinese, or Korean anymore.
Would love to get one. I love the look of it and the specs seems to be just right for me. It's btw made in china, which doesn't mean it's bad quality.
Quote by miio
Would love to get one. I love the look of it and the specs seems to be just right for me. It's btw made in china, which doesn't mean it's bad quality.

It means it's seriously over priced.
Quote by W4RP1G

This.

Why this isn't Prestige level is ridiculous.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by W4RP1G

It's not that bad for being a signature model. Considering they built it in China to put better quality parts is nice. I do agree it could be around the $600 mark but $900 isn't terrible.
Quote by Ghold125
It's not that bad for being a signature model. Considering they built it in China to put better quality parts is nice. I do agree it could be around the $600 mark but $900 isn't terrible

Well, if you're willing to pay for it. I personally won't pay for an endorsement or pay that much for a Chinese guitar. But then again, I won't pay that much for a Korean or Indonesian guitar either.
Quote by W4RP1G
And I don't buy Indonesian, Chinese, or Korean anymore.

Any particular reason?

Don't know how good you are but the only reason I can fathom is that you're pretty good and above the level of low-mid priced guitars..........
I don't have anything against MIA(sia) stuff except when the quality is bad.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Quote by JKHC
Any particular reason?

Don't know how good you are but the only reason I can fathom is that you're pretty good and above the level of low-mid priced guitars..........

Typical order is America->Japan->Mexico/Korea->China->Indonesia, though Indo and China are fairly close and it depends on the brand. Some people just don't want to take the gamble with an inconsistent/cheaply made instrument, though that's not to say all non-MiA/Js are low quality.
modes are a social construct
Quote by W4RP1G
Well, if you're willing to pay for it. I personally won't pay for an endorsement or pay that much for a Chinese guitar. But then again, I won't pay that much for a Korean or Indonesian guitar either.

hate to say this but you may be missing out. there are families over in china that have been making musical instruments for hundreds of years. you'd be suprised at how good they can make things if given the chance. same with korea. indonesia i'm not totally sold on yet but maybe in a few years. my Esprit is korean and is a very well made guitar, plays and sounds great. guess that's why even though the model didn't take off it sells used on ebay (when you can find one) for what they went for new. don't be suprised if ten years from now you see threads about why (fill in country here) doesn't make guitars as good as in china. back in the late 70s early 80s there were plenty of guys saying no way would i buy some cheap shit japanese made guitar now look at the prices on ebay.
I love the way the body is shaped but I really don't like that it's made in China. Nevertheless, it looks really cool imo. I would personally change the pickguard and headstock though. The headstock looks way too plain and ugly compared to the cool design of the body.
Quote by Chaz-6(sic)6
Hmm...May 27th to May 20th? Either you meant 30th or you're some kind of time traveler.

Choose your steel. Be the hero or die the fool.
Just face me on this burning bridge and show me
which side you choose.

>>Listen to my metulz!<<
Quote by JKHC
Any particular reason?

Well, with Japan being consistently(that's the keyword) better than China, Korea, or Indonesia, IN MY EXPERIENCE, I'd gladly buy a Japanese guitar online having not played it, even if it costs more(though I buy used, so they usually don't).

I'm not saying the Chinese can't make a good instrument, just that I haven't touched one I'd consider to be on par with Japan. Squier CVs, Epiphones, and whatever other Chinese brand is supposed to be good, hasn't amazed me at all. Granted I haven't tried everything, but who has time for that or the resources, I'll just go with what I know so far.
Quote by W4RP1G

I'm not saying the Chinese can't make a good instrument, just that I haven't touched one I'd consider to be on par with Japan.

Not trying to start an argument here but I haven't seen many MICs that are as expensive as good japanese guitars. Most MIJs aren't you average beginner to mid ($100 - $1000) guitars and MIJs (even older ones) start from around $300-$500.

Of course for the price of a squier affinity/ epi lp standard you're not going to get anything on par with japanese stuff but its alot cheaper than new MIJs.

Anyway the FRM100 looks pretty ugly. Surprised that BC Rich didn't come up with that body shape first
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Quote by JKHC
Not trying to start an argument here but I haven't seen many MICs that are as expensive as good japanese guitars. Most MIJs aren't you average beginner to mid ($100 - $1000) guitars and MIJs (even older ones) start from around $300-$500.

Of course for the price of a squier affinity/ epi lp standard you're not going to get anything on par with japanese stuff but its alot cheaper than new MIJs.

Anyway the FRM100 looks pretty ugly. Surprised that BC Rich didn't come up with that body shape first

That's true. But, you have figure while a Squier is a beginner line, the CVs are well respected because they are better than the average Squier. And while it might not seem fair to compare an expensive Japanese guitar to a Squier, the reason companies manufacture in China is to save lots of money on labor and build a cheaper product, so a $350 Squier CV, should be on par with a Japanese instrument at nearly twice the cost, but that's not the case, the Pawnshop line destroys the CV line.

Whether you think my "guesstimations" are off base or not, there's no doubt that if labor is cheap in China but just as good, then you should be seeing cheaper Chinese instruments competing with higher priced Japanese one. But they don't they don't even compete with the average Korean instrument.

The day someone hands me a Chinese assembly line guitar that beats a Japanese Ibanez, I will resurrect this thread and apologize to China. Don't get me wrong though, I'm not saying the Chinese are inferior craftsmen, I'm just saying that companies go to China to make cheaper guitars, and the product reflects that.
Last edited by W4RP1G at Oct 20, 2011,
Quote by monwobobbo
hate to say this but you may be missing out. there are families over in china that have been making musical instruments for hundreds of years. you'd be suprised at how good they can make things if given the chance. same with korea. indonesia i'm not totally sold on yet but maybe in a few years. my Esprit is korean and is a very well made guitar, plays and sounds great. guess that's why even though the model didn't take off it sells used on ebay (when you can find one) for what they went for new. don't be suprised if ten years from now you see threads about why (fill in country here) doesn't make guitars as good as in china. back in the late 70s early 80s there were plenty of guys saying no way would i buy some cheap shit japanese made guitar now look at the prices on ebay.

I'm sure China has the ability to be great at building guitars, but the market is flooded with cheap ones. You can find a few gems amongst them, I'm sure. Korean guitars have always been better on average, I don't know why, but I have been impressed by a few.

Japan has always been pretty amazing at both innovation and craftsmenship. I wouldn't say just because Japan did something, China can do it. Japan has always been a far superior country, imo, and their strong work ethic and creativity has kept them far above the other Asian countries. We invented the electric guitar, and in about 40 years Japan showed us how a better assembly line guitar is made.
Quote by W4RP1G

But they don't they don't even compete with the average Korean instrument.

Agree with you there. Chinese stuff is good but its not as good as korean or japanese.

Quote by W4RP1G
The day someone hands me a Chinese assembly line guitar that beats a Japanese Ibanez, I will resurrect this thread and apologize to China.

I'm holding you against that but chinese guitars won't beat Japanese because they are in completely different price brackets, which is reflected by the quality.

But my point is that Chinese guitars aren't that bad that you won't ever buy one......in many of the $400+ ones there's absolutely nothing wrong with the craftsmanship (at least in the ones I own) but it's the quality of material that may be lacking.

EDIT: How did a thread about an obnoxiously ugly guitar lead to this?????
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Last edited by JKHC at Oct 20, 2011,
Quote by JKHC
Agree with you there. Chinese stuff is good but its not as good as korean or japanese.

I'm holding you against that but chinese guitars won't beat Japanese because they are in completely different price brackets, which is reflected by the quality.

But my point is that Chinese guitars aren't that bad that you won't ever buy one......in many of the $400+ ones there's absolutely nothing wrong with the craftsmanship (at least in the ones I own) but it's the quality of material that may be lacking.

EDIT: How did a thread about an obnoxiously ugly guitar lead to this?????

Well, that's kind of exactly the point I was trying to make. Chinese guitars fit their price bracket. That price bracket doesn't reflect high quality, at least not on average. I've owned a lot of cheaper instruments, and I've realized the ones at the lower price bracket don't hold up against the more expensive guitars, it's just the nature of it. So I try to buy better made guitars, which usually means a higher price point. That usually dismisses anything but American and Japanese. But, I'm still a tightwad, so I buy either at a considerable discount, or used. So in the end, I get a better guitar at nearly the same price as a cheaper line.

But my whole point in the beginning, is that $900 is quite a chunk of change for a Chinese guitar, and being that labor is cheaper there, it had better be a damn good guitar because there are loads of great Japanese guitars, used and new for that price or cheaper. I wonder if this FRM100 will be another Slash Epi, overpriced junk.
Quote by W4RP1G
Well, that's kind of exactly the point I was trying to make.

Couldn't you have said that in the first place!!!!

Quote by W4RP1G
I wonder if this FRM100 will be another Slash Epi, overpriced junk.

The Slash Epi wasn't all that bad. A bit overpriced for the name but you still get what you pay for.
A good Epi LP = $500
Slash Pups= $200
Epic case= $100
Certificate signed by slash= Priceless
= $800 + $200 worth of priceless. Worth it if you're a slash fanatic and have $1000 lying around

Grover tuners too? Another couple of bucks...

[/China & Indonesia vs. Japan & Korea debate]
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Quote by JKHC
Couldn't you have said that in the first place!!!!

The Slash Epi wasn't all that bad. A bit overpriced for the name but you still get what you pay for.
A good Epi LP = $500
Slash Pups= $200
Epic case= $100
Certificate signed by slash= Priceless
= $800 + $200 worth of priceless. Worth it if you're a slash fanatic and have $1000 lying around

Grover tuners too? Another couple of bucks...

[/China & Indonesia vs. Japan & Korea debate]

I didn't realize it came with a real Slash signature. That's pretty cool. I guess it's kind of the same situation as with higher end Schecters and LTDs, I just can't see paying that kind of money for what you get when for a little more, the choices get much nicer, and even moreso when you go used.
Quote by W4RP1G
I didn't realize it came with a real Slash signature. That's pretty cool. I guess it's kind of the same situation as with higher end Schecters and LTDs, I just can't see paying that kind of money for what you get when for a little more, the choices get much nicer, and even moreso when you go used.

Forgot to mention, the Epis are really holding resale value. Ebay search shows that most are listed for around $800, pretty good considering the fact that you get a used gibby studio for cheaper.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
So finally I get to share with people about the Ibanez! I should start saying I love the guitar, it does sound great... but seriously... as I write I'm waiting for the 4th guitar to arrive to the store, because the last 3 I had to return. the first one came missing ground wiring inside!!!! and a buffed to the wood corner. the second one came with a big chunk of wood missing from the headstock that clearly happened in the factory because was clear coated after. and the third one arrived with complete wiring, nice finish, no wood missing, but the pick guard is not flush to the body it is quite bad !... a friend told me that probably they are letting anything go out since they are so behind in production.. and it really looks like that... even the people at the store is starting to ask why do I want a 4rth guitar?... what do you guys think?
Quote by W4RP1G

word
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I got the Steve Vai EP10 made in China. If I would have known it was made in China first (before) I would not have bought it. To late but I have not had any problems yet (almost 1 year old).
Do you guys know this has been out for quite some time now? Anyway I tried one and it was really good big thick neck but still easy to play the injector pickups are great and it was just a great sounding guitar. I never knew it was MIC I thought it was Korean but it seemed pretty well made.
Quote by cip 123
Do you guys know this has been out for quite some time now?

Look at the date. Poland decided to resurrect it.