would you buy a gibson les paul for 600$ less then the regular price if it has a crack in the neck
Quote by XaosKnight
I quote myself
If it were a cosmetic issue I wouldn't hesitate, but a crack in the neck could be problematic depending on where it is and how bad.
For Frodo!
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
No because a world full of marbles silly man is just as real as a half empty glass of microwaved nesquik.
Depends on the crack, and are we talking a Standard or Studio? If it's a Studio, then no, never.
i rented a les paul standard and didnt notice the crack and i can buy the guitar for 600$ off, ive never dealt with a crack before so im not sure if its cosmetic or not. ill try to get pics
Quote by XaosKnight
I quote myself
It looks like it might of been broken before and then repaired
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
It seems fine. As the post said above, it looks like its been repaired. If the neck feels solid, I say why not?
You rented? Hopefully they don't try and pull a rental car company scam and try to blame you for that. :S

But no, I wouldn't buy it. It could have been repaired fine, but I still like my gear mint.
A common problem with many "thin body" Gibsons is for the guitar to fall over, and the angled-back headstock either gets broken off at the neck, or else a crack develops there. These can be successfully repaired, but it will always be a "repaired neck" guitar.
Looks like it was a broken headstock, I have seen it a few times with Les Pauls, shit happens. I have also seen this repaired perfectly, so its not something I would be overly concerned about. You said you have played the guitar how does it feel to you, and most importantly you should be asking yourself if you want to commit to purchasing a possibly repaired guitar. It is no different the purchasing a used car to be honest its not like a repaired guitar will be a lemon, but there is always the chance it will break there again as that will be a weak spot.
2011 Gibson Honeyburst LP Trad. w/ SD Whole Lotta Humbuckers
2014 Gibson Ocean Water Standard Plus
Marshall Haze 15W Head/Cab
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 5
its actually a really nice guitar. i asked the employee why it was so cheap and he told me it was because they were being "nice" and bought it off someone for cheap. i was in a hurry so i didnt notice the crack. but yea it feels great
Quote by XaosKnight
I quote myself
That's a serious crack. If it's been repaired before, then It's probably fine, but if not, then it's only a matter of time before it gets severely worse.

$600 for a standard isn't bad, if the crack is fixed.
I'd negotiate down. start at $400
1978 Peavey T-40 -> Ampeg Micro-VR - > Ampeg SVT210AV + Ampeg SVT-15E
He said 600 less than the regular price, not 600. If it were 600 it would be worth it even if it hadn't been repaired yet. They're probably still asking 1000 or so for it, retail on used Standards is 1500+.
i have an old gibson with a crack in the neck that was repaired and i have had no issues whatsoever. gibson's crack at the neck and supposedly are not hard to repair. i would have to see that in person to judge the difficulty and locations of the crack. hell if it was one of the more simple and common cracks, i would fix it myself. there are plenty of resources on line that you could read into.

if it has been properly repaired, the neck is actually stronger than then it would be if it were unbroken. wood glue holds stronger than the wood around it.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by Roc8995
He said 600 less than the regular price, not 600. If it were 600 it would be worth it even if it hadn't been repaired yet. They're probably still asking 1000 or so for it, retail on used Standards is 1500+.

Oh, I didn't catch that. I was thinking they were asking $1200, and offered $600 after he pointed out the crack.

No, I wouldn't buy it for more than $800, and that's pushing it. I once knew a guy who was asking $1000 for a used mint Standard(some reissue too) , I probably could have got it for $800, but I was saving my money for something and I really don't like ebony Les Pauls.
Quote by W4RP1G
Oh, I didn't catch that. I was thinking they were asking $1200, and offered $600 after he pointed out the crack.

No, I wouldn't buy it for more than $800, and that's pushing it. I once knew a guy who was asking $1000 for a used mint Standard(some reissue too) , I probably could have got it for $800, but I was saving my money for something and I really don't like ebony Les Pauls.

800 would be my price, too. It would depend on the year, finish, condition, etc., but I'd have a hard time paying more than 900 for a Paul with a headstock break. They can be found frequently for less.
Quote by Roc8995
800 would be my price, too. It would depend on the year, finish, condition, etc., but I'd have a hard time paying more than 900 for a Paul with a headstock break. They can be found frequently for less.

me too. that looks like a nice repair imo.

so plus 2 or whatever.

and it depends on the year etc as some years i'm just not a fan of. it it played nice and felt like a quality LP and sounded great.

hell yea. all day long.
Yup. I like the "negotiate starting at 400" suggestion. If there's a newish Paul with a clean repair for 600, I am putting cash on the counter and asking questions later. Even if it sucks you could sell it on CL for 850 in a day.
and the owner can be a proud poster the Ultimate Mojo Thread.

TS - post more pics of the guitar. just for pr0n's sake.
Damn, that's the Manhattan Blue LE. They only made it for a year or two. What's the price? I'd be all over that.
to be honest its from long and mcquade and their asking price is 1699$ canadian
Quote by XaosKnight
I quote myself
apparently they only made 275 of these, how do i check which one it is
Quote by XaosKnight
I quote myself
Doubt they only made 275, they were in the Musician's Friend catalog for a year. There might be a clue on the headstock, but I don't remember it being a numbered run.

For 1700, I would not buy. That is far too high. You can get a used one without a break for less than that.
with long and mcquade i can finance and pay in installments, the only reason im considering it

october is no interest month
Quote by XaosKnight
I quote myself
No interest on 1700 is still 1700. You're overpaying severely no matter how attractive the financing is.
Quote by Roc8995
No interest on 1700 is still 1700. You're overpaying severely no matter how attractive the financing is.

yea, i'd maybe go $1000 but that's stretching it.

that's a ripoff at $1700.
Quote by XaosKnight
thats too bad i really like this guitar

Do yourself a favor, work overtime, find a second job, do whatever you gotta do to save some dough and get one without a break. You'll have it for a long time.
well thanks for the help. im gonna save up and buy a non cracked new les paul, its gonna take a long time but ill wait
Quote by XaosKnight
I quote myself
Quote by XaosKnight
well thanks for the help. im gonna save up and buy a non cracked new les paul, its gonna take a long time but ill wait

or check the mylespaul.com member classifieds. i've seen nice standards or classics go for $1400 - $1600 US. some of the listings are in canada. never hurts to lurk.

actually it does hurt to lurk, i lied. lol
My Les Paul snapped behind the headstock in the usual Gibson place. It hasn't affected the guitar at all. You can see it, but it's a very tidy fix. The shop broke it. The asking price was originally £1699. Got it for £890. Worth EVERY penny. Plays like a dream. Sounds awesome.