What do you UGs think is a good shred guitar? I'm not sure about it (that's why I'm asking ofc) but I am thinking about an Ibanez, ESP or something?

I have no idea actually so hope you UGs know something about it.

-Metal-pro
In my opinion, Ibanez RG series- those Wizard necks are fabulous.

Don't be afraid to try something out even if you don't like the brand, though! Any guitar can surprise you
Once you get to the Prestige series in Ibanez those necks are crazy, some ESPs are awesome, and yea The Music Man John Petrucci are sweet.
Quote by SilverSpurs616
In my opinion, Ibanez RG series- those Wizard necks are fabulous.

Don't be afraid to try something out even if you don't like the brand, though! Any guitar can surprise you

Yeah, I'll have to agree with you. All of the well known brands of guitars have practically been shredded on. (Malmsteen - Strat & Di Meola - Les Paul)

Though If I were to give my opinion, I would say Charvel produces some of the most versatile guitars aimed towards modern players. However, they can be a bit pricey.
Quote by Yjmshredder
Yeah, I'll have to agree with you. All of the well known brands of guitars have practically been shredded on. (Malmsteen - Strat & Di Meola - Les Paul)

Though If I were to give my opinion, I would say Charvel produces some of the most versatile guitars aimed towards modern players. However, they can be a bit pricey.

Well, I think that you can shred on pretty much any guitar... I think that "the easiest" to shred on is either Ibanez (little better neck for fast shredding) but I think that Jackson/Charvel guitars have better tone than Ibanez (especially the older Jackson/Charvels). I also tend to like a more beefier necks than the ones on Ibanez guitars, but I am not a shred guitarist.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Any: whatever guitar suits your hands, you will find easiest to shred on.
ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
Quote by Sakke
Well, I think that you can shred on pretty much any guitar... I think that "the easiest" to shred on is either Ibanez (little better neck for fast shredding) but I think that Jackson/Charvel guitars have better tone than Ibanez (especially the older Jackson/Charvels). I also tend to like a more beefier necks than the ones on Ibanez guitars, but I am not a shred guitarist.

True. I think it best to be able to develop in different genre's and that's why Charvel took my pick. You can pull out anything from Thrash to funk and classical shredding! lol
For me, I've found I really like ESP Horizons.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by Ghold125
Have you checked out Caparison? There's guitars are second to none.

Going to have to disagree heavily with you on this. I've taken 2 Caparisons apart back when I worked at a guitar store for repair and have had the chance to have a thorough look at them and they really aren't much better than a MIJ Prestige Ibanez, which is usually half the price of a Caparison. The fretwork was especially dissapointing. There's a reason they're pretty much bankrupt.

On topic: ''The best shred guitar'' is just like saying ''which guitar has the best sound ever?'', it's so subjective you can't even debate it. By definition you can shred on pretty much any guitar, depending on your preference for neck profile.

You'll have to be a bit more specific as to what it is you like in guitars; shape, fretboard, radius, fretsize, nut width, pickups, bridge hardware, look etc.

Generally speaking, shred guitars have the following general specs:

Flat ish fretboard radius (16'' or more)
Large frets
Double locking trem (though there's lots of ''shred'' esque guitars with a fixed bridge)
Bridge humbucker
Large nut, 43mm-44mm (=wider string spacing)
D shaped neck
Thin neck, Ibanez uses 19mm at the nut and 22 at the heel off the top of my head, just to name an example.
Bolt-On or Neck-thru

ESP is a slight exception as they use a fairly slim nut and lots and have lots of set neck guitars.
My Gear:

Guitars:
Ibanez RG 7 EXFX (27'' scale, 2x EMG 707)

Amp:
Mesa/Boogie Studio .20 Caliber

Recording:
Line 6 Studio POD GX
Last edited by JaeSwift at Oct 20, 2011,
There's no best when talking about something so subjective.

But I've found that the general populous will gravitate towards what is best suited for them(as well as what's forced down their throats). And I've watched a ton of shredding on youtube. I have to say the winner is Ibanez. The combination of their features and price, as well as marketing, has saturated the market and made Ibanez the standard shredder. They have a wonderful neck joint and tremolo, but usually need a pickup upgrade. The fact that there are so many on the market means they are cheaper second hand, so it's hard to justify buying a much more rare ESP or Charvel at twice the price, even if it is "better" in some way.
What are the qualities that make a guitar "best" for shred?

- Humbuckers? But Malmsteen shreds on single coils (used to be real single coils).
- Scale length? Dimebag shredded on short, Guthrie Govan... on long I guess.
- Thin neck? The Corrina Fireman of Paul Gilbert is 26mm thick on 12th fret!
- Weight? Shape? Color? Wood? Tremolo? ...

I believe the ability to shred is a technique thing, not a hardware thing.

I hope it helps, but sorry if not.
Last edited by pat875a5 at Oct 28, 2011,