Hey,

One of the most common problems people have when alternate picking is switching strings. People can often pick really fast on single string, but when it comes to change strings they struggle and slow down. The least string changes they have to do, the more successful they are.

I am the opposite....

I can skip between strings fine. If I do a lick that is 3 picks per string then it is much better than if I do 6 per string, and if I stay on one string I go from hare to tortoise.

I know the tortoise wins in the end...... But I'd like to be able to be what ever animal I want, and switch at choice.

Any one have any tips?
Last edited by jkielq91 at Oct 21, 2011,
what about single strings do u find difficult? do u miss the string?

i would advise just to practice on one string really slowly and gradually increase in speed.
Last edited by Tune my fork at Oct 20, 2011,
Its either really slow or just a bit inconsistent.

I have been practice it slowly for ages. Its got to the stage where its been so long that practice it slow cant be the sole solution.
Last edited by jkielq91 at Oct 20, 2011,
small but powerful hand movements (wrist only) with your unused fingers resting just under the strings and just practice. otherwise, i dont know how to help.
Its spelled hare
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Hmm well take a look at your picking pattern, sometimes when doing licks you have to have the right picking pattern to easily and sucessfully change notes and strings.... hard to understand but yea...
Quote by NewYngwie
Hmm well take a look at your picking pattern, sometimes when doing licks you have to have the right picking pattern to easily and sucessfully change notes and strings.... hard to understand but yea...

I'm fine with changing strings, and my hands coordination is good. Its just building speed on single strings.

I learnt to sweep pick just a few weeks ago, found it quite easy actualy, and it is already much faster than my alternate picking.

Quote by Hydra150
Its spelled hare

Thanks. I knew I had spelt it wrong, but I just couldn't remember the right way so I went with hair haha.
yes, guitar mastery takes TIME and Disciplined practice.

1. Use a metronome, isolate the thing you are working on and start at a low bpm.

2. Choose the note values.

3. Start practicing with a bpm that allows you to play comfortable.

4. Raise the bpm as you feel the lick becomes effortless to play.

5. Repeat that process daily for at least 15 - 20 minutes a day.

6. Beware of distractions : - no practicing in front of TV

- stay in a quiet place
- don't let your mind go wander
- analyze what you play in terms of body tension, how close you keep you fingers to the fretboard and so on.

- perfection comes when there is nothing to eliminate, not when there is nothing to add

You can check my free 6 chapter ebook for further tips and tricks.

You should read especially chapters 1 and 2 in which i show you how to prepare MENTALLY and TECHNIQUELY for developing speed in any aspect of your playing.

Here is the table of contents of the ebook:

http://www.guitarlearningtips.org/the-guitar-blueprint-to-success/
Quote by apajr
yes, guitar mastery takes TIME and Disciplined practice.

1. Use a metronome, isolate the thing you are working on and start at a low bpm.

2. Choose the note values.

3. Start practicing with a bpm that allows you to play comfortable.

4. Raise the bpm as you feel the lick becomes effortless to play.

5. Repeat that process daily for at least 15 - 20 minutes a day.

6. Beware of distractions : - no practicing in front of TV

- stay in a quiet place
- don't let your mind go wander
- analyze what you play in terms of body tension, how close you keep you fingers to the fretboard and so on.

- perfection comes when there is nothing to eliminate, not when there is nothing to add

You can check my free 6 chapter ebook for further tips and tricks.

You should read especially chapters 1 and 2 in which i show you how to prepare MENTALLY and TECHNIQUELY for developing speed in any aspect of your playing.

Here is the table of contents of the ebook:

http://www.guitarlearningtips.org/the-guitar-blueprint-to-success/

I do every thing you listed.
Provided your picking technique isn't shockingly bad, the answer really is just practice. I actually made a thread a while back about how my progress in alternate picking speed was much, much slower than anything else i was learning at time. In hindsight, all i needed to do was knuckle down and really grind it out, I'm not entirely sure why but alternate picking speed just takes a LONG time to build up, maybe because rather than working on synchronization you're working on raw speed.

Here's a video i also really recommend you check out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sdoz16LRz9Q . Basically in this video, there is some guy playing very basic exercises for a very long period of time whilst calling you crap. Play along with him, it will teach you about practice discipline.
TechIndustrial beat me to it, i was gonna ask if you were playing on open strings because you need to adapt to the tension of each string. Pebber´s routine is incredibly efficient.
Do it everyday and your tremolo picking will outspeed your string skipping sooner than you think. I got immense results after a couple months.
I think we're going to need to see you play, obviously there's something wrong somewhere but no one has any idea what it is so they're giving very general answers. If you could get a video up that would be an immense help.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
I think we're going to need to see you play, obviously there's something wrong somewhere but no one has any idea what it is so they're giving very general answers. If you could get a video up that would be an immense help.

Ok I will try that.

Should I put it on youtube?
Quote by jkielq91
Ok I will try that.

Should I put it on youtube?

Yes, where else is it going to go?
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Have you tried angling the pick downwards 45 degrees. Lots of people do this, and also it changes the tone.
Ok here is my video. I'm afraid its come out a bit dark, but hopefully its usable.

Ignore any twitches from my picking hand, that's just my hand being camera shy, not a technique floor. I don't know if I did actually switch though.

I'v tried to get as many useful angels as I can.
You didnt link to the video as far as I can tell.
You are anchoring your pinky of your picking hand to the body of the guitar (or high e string depending on which string you are picking), and you are picking mostly from the thumb (and arm perhaps) moving against the pivot point created by your pinky anchor. That is bad technique.

I used to do that but managed to stop - it isnt an easy habit to break though. You are much more tense than you should / need to be and are using the anchor as a crutch.

Look for some Paul Gilbert videos and emulate his technique. Curl your fingers in (not nessecary but should help you stop sticking your pinky to the guitar) and take it slowly. Apply much less pressure to the guitar with the picking hand, I only touch the guitar with my forearm on the corner of the guitar and a little bit of my palm/wrist on the bridge / low strings (applying only a SLIGHT pressure). The key is to relax.

Pick from the wrist as much as you can. Exaggerate the motion with the wrist at first to get used to the motion, but youll wanna make the movement as small as possible as you refine the technique. Keep the arm as still as you can and dont use thumb moment to pick. Defiately do not use any anchored part of your hand as a pivot point to pick from. The key is to relax.

It will feel unnatural at first, keep at it and dont relapse. The key is to relax.
Last edited by Hydra150 at Oct 22, 2011,
Quote by Hydra150
You are anchoring your pinky of your picking hand to the body of the guitar (or high e string depending on which string you are picking), and you are picking mostly from the thumb (and arm perhaps) moving against the pivot point created by your pinky anchor. That is bad technique.

I used to do that but managed to stop - it isnt an easy habit to break though. You are much more tense than you should / need to be and are using the anchor as a crutch.

Look for some Paul Gilbert videos and emulate his technique. Curl your fingers in (not nessecary but should help you stop sticking your pinky to the guitar) and take it slowly. Apply much less pressure to the guitar with the picking hand, I only touch the guitar with my forearm on the corner of the guitar and a little bit of my palm/wrist on the bridge / low strings (applying only a SLIGHT pressure). The key is to relax.

Pick from the wrist as much as you can. Exaggerate the motion with the wrist at first to get used to the motion, but youll wanna make the movement as small as possible as you refine the technique. Keep the arm as still as you can and dont use thumb moment to pick. Defiately do not use any anchored part of your hand as a pivot point to pick from. The key is to relax.

It will feel unnatural at first, keep at it and dont relapse. The key is to relax.

OK thanks. I'll spend some times in front of a mirror working on this tomorrow.

I'm going to watch some videos of some pros and compare it to my video.

I can definitely see what you mean about my arm moving to much when I compare it to Jeffrey here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqo5rPumaLE

And that Loomis video was great to compare because he plays and different spends.
Last edited by jkielq91 at Oct 22, 2011,
Aint no picker better than Paul Gilbert.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpJNUGHxC3M
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rn-wj4pRpIE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPGA3vjMLgE
http://www.5min.com/Video/Shred-Alert-with-Paul-Gilbert---Alternate-Picking-241274099

He is also a great teacher with good video lessons, download them or watch segments of them on YouTube. He shows many good alternate picking exercises and licks.

Good luck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HC60XNiS-MQ

Btw I would advise checking out some Yngwie licks as you said your difficulty is single string stuff and single string scale runs is his thing. Although thats probably just a symptom of your picking hand wrongness so focus on that.

Edit RE: Jeff Loomis, Ive heard people mention that he has unusual technique and now that Ive checked it out I can see what they were referring to - he also has the anchoring / elbow picking thing going on (although he has much less tension/pressure on the guitar than you I would imagine) and I would advise against emulating his technique because most people will find that it hinders their playing and will cause injuries due to tension (RSI) later on.

There are some people like John Petrucci, Micheal Angelo Batio and clearly Jeff Loomis who this techique works for but they are the exception and not the rule. Most mere mortals cant pull that off, I couldnt and neither can you, so stop trying and adopt a different approach.
Last edited by Hydra150 at Oct 22, 2011,
Quote by Hydra150
Aint no picker better than Paul Gilbert.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpJNUGHxC3M
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rn-wj4pRpIE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPGA3vjMLgE
http://www.5min.com/Video/Shred-Alert-with-Paul-Gilbert---Alternate-Picking-241274099

He is also a great teacher with good video lessons, download them or watch segments of them on YouTube. He shows many good alternate picking exercises and licks.

Good luck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HC60XNiS-MQ

Btw I would advise checking out some Yngwie licks as you said your difficulty is single string stuff and single string scale runs is his thing. Although thats probably just a symptom of your picking hand wrongness so focus on that.

Edit RE: Jeff Loomis, Ive heard people mention that he has unusual technique and now that Ive checked it out I can see what they were referring to - he also has the anchoring / elbow picking thing going on (although he has much less tension/pressure on the guitar than you I would imagine) and I would advise against emulating his technique because most people will find that it hinders their playing and will cause injuries due to tension (RSI) later on.

There are some people like John Petrucci, Micheal Angelo Batio and clearly Jeff Loomis who this techique works for but they are the exception and not the rule. Most mere mortals cant pull that off, I couldnt and neither can you, so stop trying and adopt a different approach.

Thanks. I'v never heard that about Loomis before. But I'll bare what you say in mind when I work on this.

And I have plenty of single stuff to play. My techniques just to poor for it.

Thanks for all the tips. Its a great help.
No problem.

And trust me on this stuff, I struggled through the very same problem myself a few years ago. Its not easy to fix a bad habit but it is worth it.
Quote by Hydra150
No problem.

And trust me on this stuff, I struggled through the very same problem myself a few years ago. Its not easy to fix a bad habit but it is worth it.

When I first started I did not known able resting the palm near the bridge, so I'd just float, but I saw some guys 'anchoring' or what looked like anchoring, so I would hold the pick up.

That was when I was a beginner. After a while it really started to hurt (even though I could reach speeds with it).