Quote by ethan_hanus
Anything that has to be named Ultra...and have a III after it must suck really bad. Marketing ploy.

ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
Quote by DimebagZappa
It was made for lame-core. They put ultra on it so you know its for scene kids.

waaaaay off the mark...

http://www.schecterguitars.com/International/Products/Guitar/Ultra-III.aspx

EDIT; it's for Rockabilly, Country, Psychobilly, stuff like that really.
PRS SE Torero | Fender MIM Tele | Jackson RR3

Bugera TriRec Infinium | Randall RH50T

Marshall 1960AV

Soundcloud
Band Facebook
Last edited by Unholy.Daemon at Oct 20, 2011,
I assume its called ultra because the guitar is supposed to be a throwback to the 50s and 60s when calling things ultra and deluxe etc was cool
My Gear:
BC Rich Gunslinger Retro Blade
Vintage V100 Paradise + SD Alnico Pro Slash APH-2's
1963 Burns Short Scale Jazz Guitar
Dean Performer Florentine
Bugera 6260
Orange Micro Terror + cab
Digitech Bad Monkey
Zoom G2G
well, as Robert Smith from The Cure has a signature model in the Ultra shape... any changed opinions yet?
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
Quote by randomhero93
well, as Robert Smith from The Cure has a signature model in the Ultra shape... any changed opinions yet?

Yes! That changes everything.

Now I really ****ing hate it. :P
Quote by DimebagZappa
Yes! That changes everything.

Now I really ****ing hate it. :P

You've made this thread worth looking at.
looks a little bit like something Jack White would play. I could see some punk band using it also.

Epi LP Custom EMGs
ESP H-1000
Schecter Elite 7
Jackson Dominion
Peavey Valveking Head
Jet City JCA24s
Blackstar HT20 & HTV212
MXR Pedals
Schecter Stiletto Custom
Schecter Stiletto Studio
Fender Vintage Modified
Ampeg B2RE
Fender 4x10 Cab
I've literally just bought a 2005 Ultra I off ebay and I quite like it. Was about to start a thread about some set up issues I have with it.

Robin Finck's Schecter sig is heavily based on the Ultra III and I saw him use it with NIN.

While I'm here, I might as well post my set up woes:

The guitar is set up for E standard with fairly thick strings. I'm guessing at 12/13s. When playing the high e past the 17th fret, there is a horrible ringing which is caused by the note rattling against a higher fret. Is a minor fret level along just the e string area quite an easy fix or should I be looking at shipping it back to the guy for not putting it in the description?

Was going to give it 24 hours because it's likely been sat in a cold van/depot for two days but I'm assuming a fret job is the only course of action because ringing on 17-22 on the high e, can't be altered with a truss rod tweak - or can it?

Ultimately I will be putting 9s or 10s on for E standard but I'm guessing it's not the added tension of the heavy strings that's causing this.
Got it:
Pacifica 604w, Hohner G3T, PRS SE Soapbar I, Schecter Ultra I
Fender 'evil' Twin, Marshall 2554 combo
Quote by Unholy.Daemon
waaaaay off the mark...

http://www.schecterguitars.com/International/Products/Guitar/Ultra-III.aspx

EDIT; it's for Rockabilly, Country, Psychobilly, stuff like that really.

What the crap am I looking at? More like ultra fugly.
Quote by afoolandaknave
Is a minor fret level along just the e string area quite an easy fix or should I be looking at shipping it back to the guy for not putting it in the description?

It’s pretty simple. And that’s not really the kind of guitar people popular with people who play above the seventeenth fret, so it’s entirely possible that the guy never noticed.
Quote by jpnyc
It’s pretty simple. And that’s not really the kind of guitar people popular with people who play above the seventeenth fret, so it’s entirely possible that the guy never noticed.

Nice one boss.

It isn't too horrendous but certainly quite noticeable and is worth putting right.

Am I to assume when I set it up for 10s or alter the truss rod, that the problem will still remain because the frets are so close to the body?

As a fix, I'm guessing I need to get the neck dead straight and take tiny amounts off with fine grade grit paper then re-set up and go from there.

Edit: I also sort of like that everythinks they're fugly!
Got it:
Last edited by afoolandaknave at Oct 21, 2011,
Quote by afoolandaknave
Am I to assume when I set it up for 10s or alter the truss rod, that the problem will still remain because the frets are so close to the body?

Nothing else you change will make the frets even.

Quote by afoolandaknave
As a fix, I'm guessing I need to get the neck dead straight and take tiny amounts off with fine grade grit paper then re-set up and go from there.

Probably. It doesn’t seem like you have more than a few off frets.

Quote by afoolandaknave
Edit: I also sort of like that everythinks they're fugly!
'

Have you seen what passes for good looking around here? Christ, some of the kids on this board think those A7X guitars with bat inlays are downright classy.
Quote by afoolandaknave
I've literally just bought a 2005 Ultra I off ebay and I quite like it. Was about to start a thread about some set up issues I have with it.

Robin Finck's Schecter sig is heavily based on the Ultra III and I saw him use it with NIN.

While I'm here, I might as well post my set up woes:

The guitar is set up for E standard with fairly thick strings. I'm guessing at 12/13s. When playing the high e past the 17th fret, there is a horrible ringing which is caused by the note rattling against a higher fret. Is a minor fret level along just the e string area quite an easy fix or should I be looking at shipping it back to the guy for not putting it in the description?

Was going to give it 24 hours because it's likely been sat in a cold van/depot for two days but I'm assuming a fret job is the only course of action because ringing on 17-22 on the high e, can't be altered with a truss rod tweak - or can it?

Ultimately I will be putting 9s or 10s on for E standard but I'm guessing it's not the added tension of the heavy strings that's causing this.

I think that you might have the ultra VI guitar. That is baratone version sorta on idea of hellcat VI
I definitely, 100% have the Ultra I. It's not in production anymore but was in the 2005 Schecter catalogue.

It looks exactly like this but with the 2+4 style headstock on the Finck and Smith models:

The Ultra II is the closest model currently in production but even that has a longer scale length and different hardware.

Been playing it for the past hour or two and my fret issue is only obvious when trying to hold a note. It even seems to alter depending on how much pressure is applied to the note too so if it is a high fret, it must be a tiny, tiny fraction of a mm.

Will try raising the action tonight and play with the neck relief later. If that doesn't work, it looks like a crash course in fret dressing.

It plays really well at the min even though the extra thick strings are savaging my fingers. Might even keep thick ones on when I get round to changing em.
Got it: