What would be the youngest age you would start a child on guitar lessons? My daughter will be three in January and she loves to "help me" play my guitar. We are getting a real guitar in her size for Christmas, but is three too young for lessons? She really loves music so we want to encourage her as much as possible.
see if she takes to simple chords and doesnt give up in 3 days. if shes playing bat country by A7X by valentines day definitely go with lessons. for her first few years you should be the only teacher she needs. just make it fun for her where a professional probably wouldnt. i see a lot of childrens songs in your future!
Quote by stepchildusmc
see if she takes to simple chords and doesnt give up in 3 days. if shes playing bat country by A7X by valentines day definitely go with lessons. for her first few years you should be the only teacher she needs. just make it fun for her where a professional probably wouldnt. i see a lot of childrens songs in your future!

If she plays A7X just put her down.
That age could very well be the ideal age to start teaching her guitar as her brain is a super sponge absorbing information at an alarming rate. As to professional instruction, you be the judge of that. If you're capable of teaching her guitar, then you should be the one to do it as she's going to be more comfortable learning from you than a total stranger. Just don't force it on her if she's not getting it. Don't make it into something she HAS to do, but rather something she wants to do because she likes it.
Quote by carlmarl
What would be the youngest age you would start a child on guitar music lesson ? My daughter will be three in January and she loves to "help me" play my guitar. We are getting a real guitar in her size for Christmas, but is three too young for lessons? She really loves music so we want to encourage her as much as possible.

Many children start learning an instrument around the 4th grade. But since she shows interest in playing or learning one, try to teach her the basic stuff. Just don't push her on learning it. Make it fun. Don't make her lose her excitement for the instrument, or music that is.
Last edited by ndrewoods at Nov 6, 2011,
I've never given lessons to anyone under the age of 7, and it's a real chore to keep the child’s attention... At 3, I think (Yep.. Personal Opinion Warning) the guitar will be more of a toy, which is definitely ok, and it will really open up some Father Daughter time which is always good, but, I'd forgo the lessons until she's showing an aptitude for it.

Don't expect Miracles, but developing some sort of interest that early can't be a bad way to go.
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
i bought my step son an acoustic at 3 years old,he leart smoke on the water,enter sandman,a couple of nursery rhyme style song within a few weeks,hes lost interest but i wanted to expose him to it,he can always come back to it,he also keeps a beat on the drums quite well,also my youngest one is just over 3 years now,hes been strumming my guitar since 2 years,he also likes to whack the drums,its great just to expose them to music at such an early age,who knows what could come of it.
I personally wouldn't recommend lessons for that age with a teacher other than yourself. I run a guitar shop, and a common trend is the younger the student is, the more difficult they find focusing on instruction. You know your daughter better than a teacher would, so you know what might keep her entertained and interested in the instrument. Help her pick up some basics, then in a couple of years if she's still interested, let her try a few lessons to see if she likes it.
Begin again in the night, let's sway again tonight.
Your arm on my shoulder, your cheek against mine.
Where can we go, when will we find that, we know.