So i recently got a Mark Tremonti Wah pedal and always have had a Crybaby Wah always in the engaged position. And obviously the sound isn't the same, which way could I change my amp settings and the way my pedals are set up on the pedalboard to sound somewhat normal and not muffled or too deep? I have a Fender 25R( awesome to live in an apartment, with standard treble, middle, bass, reverb, and a gain dial), and my combination of pedals are the Mark Tremonti Wah, DD-3 Delay Pedal, DS-1 Distortion pedal, and a TU-3 Tuner, and my guitar of choice is a PRS Tremonti SE.

So all in all, my two questions are: what amp settings should I use? And, how should I set up my signal chain of pedals?
Last edited by waltb87 at Oct 20, 2011,
Tuner first then distortion, then delay.. The wah I'd try before the distortion, or last in the chain... Kind of a personal preference on what it does to the distortion sound...

My Humble Opinion of course...
set up the amp however u want, the wah is really only going to change the input. i have my setup as follows: guitar > tuner > wah > delay > distortion. this way your wah isn't going to cause muffled sounds and whatnot. but mess around with where it is in your chain. you can get different sounds out of it depending on where it is in ur chain. but to be honest, ur amp isn't gonna help much... so in the future a new amp wouldn't be a bad idea either. that may be where your muffled tones are coming from
Quote by andrerist
set up the amp however u want, the wah is really only going to change the input. i have my setup as follows: guitar > tuner > wah > delay > distortion. this way your wah isn't going to cause muffled sounds and whatnot. but mess around with where it is in your chain. you can get different sounds out of it depending on where it is in ur chain. but to be honest, ur amp isn't gonna help much... so in the future a new amp wouldn't be a bad idea either. that may be where your muffled tones are coming from

i know its a preference thing, but i would go wah, distortion, delay, simply because i love the delay effect. its such a clean, pure effect. no reason to distort that as the delay signal passes through the distortion box. delay and other "time based" effects at the end for this guy.....
ok, i dont know if this is weird, but i added my older crybaby to kind of act as a filter at the end of the chain and it got rid of the muffled sound but it just seems weird to me, but it works... so i have the crybaby wah engaged all the way down, along with my newer wah which has a bypass anyway so it would seem to work. My distortion, especially, sounded way too muffled so this has definitely helped it... but its weird
Last edited by waltb87 at Oct 21, 2011,
Quote by waltb87
ok, i dont know if this is weird, but i added my older crybaby to kind of act as a filter at the end of the chain and it got rid of the muffled sound but it just seems weird to me, but it works... so i have the crybaby wah engaged all the way down, along with my newer wah which has a bypass anyway so it would seem to work. My distortion, especially, sounded way too muffled so this has definitely helped it... but its weird

so your leaving the wah in the toe down position 100% of the time?

maybe the amp sounds muffled to you because your so used to having really boosted trebles with the wah on all the time. try getting an eq pedal and boost the highs and take the lows and mids down just a little bit. or before you get a new pedal try doing that with the amp. boost the treble, and drop the mids and lows down the about noon for the bass and 1 or 2 o'clock for the mids
Yeah I have both wahs on the pedal with the older Dunlop engaged at the end of my signal chain, so I was thinking the same thing. The EQ pedal does sound like a great idea, and I think a bigger amp with a few more things to adjust may help as well. Thanks!