So... PT 10 has officially been announced and is for sale on the Avid site (link).

Anyone else feel this is a little too soon after PT9? Could have just been an update/patch? Or does anyone have any other thoughts on it (thought I'd try and drum up some mass-debating, hurr durr)?

Personally, I'm kind of irritated that PT9 was released after Logic 9 and now PT10 is for sale, and "Logic X" hasn't even been officially announced - if Apple don't hurry the fudge up, I'm likely to jump ship to PT after/around Xmas this year... starting to really lust for a proper time-based editing (a la Elastic Audio) tool, and don't feel I should pay for the upgrade to Logic 9 yet incase 10/X comes out weeks after.... not to mention I'd be paying a fairly large sum of money for just one tool.
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Psh get a real DAW with free upgrades for life :-P

But no seriously didn't PT9 come out like last year? They need to give a trail version so I can see what is so great about PT (I'm not bashing it). I have only got to play around with Pro Tools here and there but a good thirty days for me to do a mix or remix session and an original song production, mixing, and mastering would be a great way to when over people. But damn all you people that pirate.

Disarm, are you saying you like PT over Logic? I have never actually used logic (I don't own a MAC), but have always liked the look of it and such.
Well, it's not so much that I prefer PT to Logic... more a case of Logic being a little behind in the editing department, with it being harder to do a few things I've found increasingly more important (and PT's multi-tool cursor is very quick and easy to use after a while, whereas Logic only allows two alternate cursor types (with a selection of options for each) and then a few things similar to PT multi-tool, like the lower half of the edge of a region allowing you to resize a region, and the upper half letting you loop it... I mean, having two cursor types is better than many DAW's (and I like being able to have normal cursor, and then another set as the crossfade tool for drum edits, on toms for instance, whereas when writing in the piano roll I set the other cursor as an eraser but it only affects the piano roll as that's a separate sub-window, which is awesome).

All in all, I think I like PT more as of late than I used to, but I would probably still mix in Logic as I don't have the RTAS versions of many of my favourite plug-ins (and a fair few don't even have an RTAS release), so it would be expensive to get everything I want in PT and mix there.

The biggest problem for me is that I need to upgrade my Mac if I decide to get PT10 in the future as I'm still running on OS X 10.5.8 (Leopard), and I think PT10 has 10.6.4 or something as the minimum spec. (Snow Leopard)... I should probably just upgrade to Lion, but I don't wanna risk losing lots of stuff I have that probably hasn't been updated for Lion-compatability, so it's a bit of a ball-ache until I get rich and can afford a new Mac
Quote by FireHawk
I saw this on Gear Slutz tonight/morning. Not sure how accurate that upgrade price is but dayum.

That's for an HD system.

Avid's site says the upgrade from PT9 is $300, which is still ****ing ridiculous.

There's some features that look interesting in PT10, but for $300, I'm definitely not going to waste my money on it until something significant is released Crossgrade from MP9 is even more ridiculous. $500? That's twice the price it was to "crossgrade" to PT9 from LE8/M-Powered 8. You could buy the full version of every other DAW for that price, without having to own something to "upgrade" from in the first place. Avid just keeps raising the price on their stuff. They were already the most expensive at $600 for PT9, now it's $700 for PT10. Until the end of the year, you get $100 off, but that's only for the full software, not the upgrades.

In a time where they should be trying to lower their price to compete with other DAWs that are just as capable as it is, they instead raise the price. Dumb.

Seriously considering selling my copy of PT9 and just going back to Cubase.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Last edited by MatrixClaw at Oct 21, 2011,
As a PT User since 7.4, **** THIS! Unless theres something I'm missing, I see no point in upgrading to PT 10 at the moment. I'm gonna stick with 9 till I get some more cash.

Now I feel like my copy of PT9 was a $250 beta than an actual upgrade.
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
Quote by lockwolf
As a PT User since 7.4, **** THIS! Unless theres something I'm missing, I see no point in upgrading to PT 10 at the moment. I'm gonna stick with 9 till I get some more cash.

Now I feel like my copy of PT9 was a $250 beta than an actual upgrade.

+1.

I'd consider selling my PT9 license and just get Cubase 6, but now I'm afraid it's going to be worth next to nothing, considering the fact that they want their users to pay $300 for the upgrade
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
+1.

I'd consider selling my PT9 license and just get Cubase 6, but now I'm afraid it's going to be worth next to nothing, considering the fact that they want their users to pay $300 for the upgrade

Yeah though they did raise the price of it standalone from $600 to $700 so I could see the upgrade going up in price.

One thing it did mention is better support on 3rd party interfaces. I've had my share of problems in PT9 with my Mackie Onyx 1640. I'm just not sure I'm willing to dish out $300 for an upgrade when I have a ton of other shit I need to buy.
The price is one thing that did surprise me, given the lack of apparent changes/improvements over PT9 - I just really can't see why it isn't an update of 9... anyone got any ideas why they'd do this (other than to grab more money off everyone)?

It does bother me now I'm no longer a student though, that I got Logic Pro 8 heavily discounted back in 2008 because I was at uni... Even then I still paid a fair amount though (think it was either £125 or £200ish... really have forgotten now), but to think I'm now gonna have to pay close to £250 for Logic 9 (as an upgrade from 8, or even more for X, if it comes out anytime soon) or nearly £450 for PT10 to upgrade to a DAW I want - and then I'll also have to pay £50 or whatever to update my OS, as well as risk losing some other software I currently have... damn you technology for not getting cheaper as you get more advanced!

I may also need a new machine to run PT10 or Logic X, as my Mac is only 2GB RAM, and I could get more RAM fitted but at this rate it would be cheaper to sell my Mac and get a new one :/

Edit: Turns out Apple UK site says it's £166 for me to upgrade from Logic 8 to 9... I hate making decisions!
Last edited by DisarmGoliath at Oct 21, 2011,
It looks like 10 is only adding what should have been included in 9. I felt 9 was only released for 3rd party hardware support. They didn't add nearly enough to make it a full new version. A combination of 9 and 10 would have made a much more appealing 9 and wouldn't have screwed people with releasing a disappointing 10 so soon.
I was watching their webinar and thought it was funny how all of their "new features" are simple things that many other DAWs have offered for multiple incarnations. I realize it's the industry standard, i just think Avid is farming people now.

For audio give me Reaper any day of the week.
Audio Ecstasy Productions!

Guitar/Backline Tech in the Los Angeles area and on tour!
Custom guitar pedals and cabling for stage and studio!

I set up DAWs and tweak computers to record audio. Hit me up @ audioecstasyproductions[at}gmail.com
Quote by CrossBack7
I used Pro Tools a few times, but it didn't seem very appealing to me, honestly. And the lack of VST support would make me ditch it quick. I just don't see the appeal, especially for that price.

Lemme rephrase that for ya: Theres no Out Of The Box VST support

You can use VSTs, you just need the VST to RTAS program
I bought Pt 9 this summer...300$ the upgrade? holymolly.
Some of the updates looks nice, tho long overdue. It just feels like pt 9.5 to me.

I hate Avid...to bad I love pro tools.
Quote by lockwolf
Lemme rephrase that for ya: Theres no Out Of The Box VST support

You can use VSTs, you just need the VST to RTAS program

Sure, for an extra $100, and not all VSTs translate well.

FWIW, most of the bigger name, "better," plugins support RTAS, but at the same time, I don't feel like Pro Tools comes packaged with any plugins that are particularly great, unlike DAWs like Studio One that are packed full of excellent sounding, and very useful, plugins. So for someone buying it as their first big DAW, you're honestly not getting much value for your money, other than the fact that you get the "industry standard" DAW.

I feel like, if Pro Tools wasn't the "original," and tons of studios hadn't already invested so much in their hardware that changing to something else would cost them a lot of money, that Avid wouldve been out of business a long ago to Cubase, Sonar and Logic.

*Edit* Epic lolz @ the ****storm happening on the Avid FB profile. They're even deleting posts to get rid of the "negativity"
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Last edited by MatrixClaw at Oct 22, 2011,
Got an email today, since I bought the academic version, Im entitled to 4 years of free updates ( win!) so I downloaded my free PT 10 this morning.

Cool updates, the gain per clip thing is pretty useful , and I really like that new plug-in; Chanel striper, it sounds great.

Im still digging for what new tho.
Quote by ShevanelFlip
Got an email today, since I bought the academic version, Im entitled to 4 years of free updates ( win!) so I downloaded my free PT 10 this morning.

Cool updates, the gain per clip thing is pretty useful , and I really like that new plug-in; Chanel striper, it sounds great.

Im still digging for what new tho.

Good to hear. Do you think its $300 good? I'm really curious to see how the enhanced disk handler works. Considering everyone here bitches that you need a 7200rpm HD to record.
Quote by lockwolf
Considering everyone here bitches that you need a 7200rpm HD to record.

which isn't true necessarily lol (although I got one for best performance)

I just don't see how they can charge so much without a trail. I know your paying for a brand name but seriously...it's not 1994 their price is high for what it is. All the major plugins I use are RTAS available so I would consider Pro Tool if the price was comparable with other daws and I got to fool around with it for a month. I realize it's easier to crack software that has a trail but shit ya know.
Quote by lockwolf
Good to hear. Do you think its $300 good? I'm really curious to see how the enhanced disk handler works. Considering everyone here bitches that you need a 7200rpm HD to record.

As I said I got it this morning, and haven't had that much time to check all the new stuff out, but no, I would not buy it. It's a bunch of cool little stuff that you don't really need I guess.
the Update is totally not worth a new version it should just have been a minor update.
Just went by the AVID booth at AES this weekend. Looks like a mostly preparatory update for versions to come with the AAX plugin format. Biggest things are increased headroom (floating points), improved latency, and interleaving of surround files.

http://createdigitalmusic.com/2011/10/pro-tools-10-pro-tools-hdx-what-you-need-to-know/
Gear
  • 2004 Am. Strat
  • 2004 Mex. Tele
  • 2005 Esteve Classical

• Vox Valvetronix AD15VT w/ foot switch

• Vox 847
  • EH Stereo Polychorus
  • Ibanez TS-808
  • EH Big Muff Germanium 4
  • EH Small Clone
  • EH Small Stone (USA Ver 2)
  • EH LPB-1
  • PlusEBow
Quote by ns9977a
Just went by the AVID booth at AES this weekend. Looks like a mostly preparatory update for versions to come with the AAX plugin format. Biggest things are increased headroom (floating points), improved latency, and interleaving of surround files.

http://createdigitalmusic.com/2011/10/pro-tools-10-pro-tools-hdx-what-you-need-to-know/

On the Avid forums, people that appear to be in the know/work for Avid, are claiming the update is to introduce AAX and encourage people off the older formats so they can move to 64-bit operation (of the program, i.e in 64-Bit OS, not 64-bit resolution of the audio ) which apparently the current plug-in formats used by PT will not allow.

Seems a bit stupid not to just release it as an update though, and I find it a bit odd that all the other major DAW-producers have managed to bridge their 32-Bit plugin formats into 64-Bit operation - I mean, Logic's AU plug-ins are all 32-Bit to my knowledge, but they still run in 64-Bit mode
Quote by DisarmGoliath
Seems a bit stupid not to just release it as an update though, and I find it a bit odd that all the other major DAW-producers have managed to bridge their 32-Bit plugin formats into 64-Bit operation - I mean, Logic's AU plug-ins are all 32-Bit to my knowledge, but they still run in 64-Bit mode

I can't get Studio One to play my 32 bit plugins (of course I am just playing with the demo version so maybe that is why...or I just don't know my way around the program lol)

But yeah you would think "THE" DAW, Pro Tools, would have this or just release the update.
i have actually heard that a lot of software developers are going towards more, smaller releases.

however most of them are supposed to be just updates and not new versions. it suprises me that a "full" release comes once again so quickly. i mean, since it is so soon after PT9, i would expect a half priced upgrade or something. i havent used PT enough to comment on the new functions, but this seems a bit strange to me.
Quote by jof1029
i have actually heard that a lot of software developers are going towards more, smaller releases.

True, whatever happened to point releases?
Man... Avid really shouldn't have pissed off their customers with this release, they better do something soon or their company is about to crash, hard:

From 20 points down to nearly 6 in a few months, doesn't look too good for them. Just think - They were at 67 points in February, 2005.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Last edited by MatrixClaw at Oct 26, 2011,
Quote by MatrixClaw
Man... Avid really shouldn't have pissed off their customers with this release, they better do something soon or their company is about to crash, hard:

From 20 points down to nearly 6 in a few months, doesn't look too good for them. Just think - They were at 67 points in February, 2005.

Now that is not what your stock should look like for any people wanting to start a business.
Quote by FireHawk
Now that is not what your stock should look like for any people wanting to start a business.

Yep...

Here's their stocks over the past few years, pretty sad:

Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Hmm, I may dump $100 into Avid Stock on the hopes it rebounds :p

Then again, in 2005 was when we saw the launch of the Mbox 2 when PT started opening up more to the home studio and made it affordable for most people to get into (at the time)
Quote by lockwolf
Hmm, I may dump $100 into Avid Stock on the hopes it rebounds :p

Then again, in 2005 was when we saw the launch of the Mbox 2 when PT started opening up more to the home studio and made it affordable for most people to get into (at the time)

Avid owns M-Audio so that kind of surprises me its that low. Think of how many people buy Fast Tracks.