So, ive had this problem with my guitar for a while.. When i bend the higher notes (im talking frets 18-24) It goes silent. When I play the note without bending, it sounds fine. But as soon as I start bending, the note make a high screech for a split second and then goes silent.. So, what is the problem? Ive changed my EMG battery and strings..

EDIT: Its fine on E, A and D strings.. G string isnt bad, but there.. B, I can get a lucky sustain, and the high e doesnt sustain at all..
ESP LTD m400
Peavey Vypyr 30 w/ Sanpera I
Dunlop Crybaby Wah pedal
ISP Decimator

"Dream big, and dare to fail. I dare you to do that." - James Hetfield, HoF Speech, 09
Last edited by MidniteHaze at Oct 21, 2011,
Your action is too low on the high strings. When you bend, the note frets out and chokes. Try raising it a little
You may need new/better pickups (are they running on batteries?)

New strings usually solve that as well if the strings are old.
It's spelled wiener.
It sounds like your notes are "fretting out." Something hits the string when you bend it and stops the vibration. This can be caused by a few things. The most common cause is a high fret or two. Have a good tech check your guitar with a fret level. If there are any offending high frets, that will find them. Then you just have the high fret evened out or get a complete fret dress (this can make a huge difference in overall playability).

The second major cause is a very round fretboard radius. My '52 Reissue Telecaster used to fret out like a son of a bitch. I finally got so sick of the vintage three-barrel bridge that I replaced it with a modern six-saddle Telecaster bridge. Boom! No more fretting out! And the thing plays better than ever. So depending on your guitar, it could be that you need a bridge setup.

The last thing that causes it is a twisted neck. A simple 1/8 to 1/4 turn of your truss rod will usually remedy this condition.

Now if you are saying that your pickups are actually cutting out on certain frequencies, then you need new pickups. I can't say that I've ever heard of that happening, though. Have the frets checked out and see if you've got a high fret or two.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Quote by W4RP1G
Your action is too low on the high strings. When you bend, the note frets out and chokes. Try raising it a little

Now, this means raising the bridge on the high strings side correct? How do I know when its high enough?
ESP LTD m400
Dunlop Crybaby Wah pedal
ISP Decimator

"Dream big, and dare to fail. I dare you to do that." - James Hetfield, HoF Speech, 09
Quote by MidniteHaze
Now, this means raising the bridge on the high strings side correct? How do I know when its high enough?

There are standard settings for string height from the 12th fret to the bottom of the string. These can be used as a baseline. What kind of guitar is it, by the way?
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Quote by MidniteHaze

I usually go about as low as I can before fretting out. It's kind of a trial and error thing. But if you have a Floyd, it's hard to do that. Although, a Floyd has a 12" radius(I think) and the common radius for many guitars with a floyd is 16", so you should be able to get fairly low, probably around 1mm, maybe lower, just depends on your fret work.
Ok, so if it isnt sustaining when bending the 24th fret, can we rule out a fret being high?

Also, its an M series LTD, licensed FR..
ESP LTD m400
Dunlop Crybaby Wah pedal
ISP Decimator

Quote by W4RP1G

this, sounds exactly like the same problem i had with my charvel. i couldn't bend fret 20 and up but i could with 19 and bend that even higher than i'd bend the 20th.

raise the bridge at high string side.
The last thing that causes it is a twisted neck. A simple 1/8 to 1/4 turn of your truss rod will usually remedy this condition.

Don't start twistin away at that truss rod.. It doesn't adjust twist, it adjust bend.. (Isn't there a thread here on Truss Rod Adjustment?) If you don't know what your doing you could really damage your guitar...

Take it to a good, family owned music store and get it set up.. sounds like you got a high fret or two.. Have them crown and level the frets... I got a guy in Georgia that does this for $30.00 all day long and that includes a new set of strings..
Last edited by Papabear505 at Oct 21, 2011,
Quote by Papabear505
Don't start twistin away at that truss rod.. It doesn't adjust twist, it adjust bend.. (Isn't there a thread here on Truss Rod Adjustment?) If you don't know what your doing you could really damage your guitar...

Take it to a good, family owned music store and get it set up.. sounds like you got a high fret or two.. Have them crown and level the frets... I got a guy in Georgia that does this for $30.00 all day long and that includes a new set of strings.

That's a helluva deal, assuming he knows what he's doing.

I don't know why it wouldn't sustain on the 24th fret. the saddles can affect sustain too, if the string doesn't sit right, but if it does it on a bend, then I don't know. I suggest taking Papabear505's advice and taking to a guitar tech(I recommend a smaller store with someone who's been doing it for many years). I don't know if you'll find a level/crowning for $30 though, they tend to be more around $100, but that can vary greatly.