as title says, i have been practicing my rhythm a lot lately, learning trivium songs like ember to inferno, suffocating sight etc... and i would sit there and practice galloping, downpicking and both together. i have been doing this for ages but in the past month or two i am just not getting any better and some days its worse. what am i doing wrong?!?!?
Its a little hard to know what you do wrong without more information on you technique etc.

Personally I would try to take a break from that and practice something different for a couple of weeks before going back.
You didn't mention the metronome. Do you practice rythm guitar using a metronome, or is just your hearing directing everything? I'm asking this because, if you don't use a metronome, it could be a solution. You're getting born with or without the sense of rythm, but, up to a certain level, this sense can be emulated and educated: that's what a metronome is supposed to do.
You are not going any good probably because :

1. You practice at your full speed

2. You are tensed and you are probably not even aware of the tension

3. Youre hands hurt when you practice.

Check chapter 2 in my ebook : http://www.guitarlearningtips.org/the-guitar-blueprint-to-success/ and apply the 4,3,2,1 X 4 method

I used to have the same problem when trying to become faster.
I honestly think you would probably benefit from learning some more acousticy type stuff. They generally require good timing/rhythm, especially ones with slightly more complicated strumming patterns. Even though this isn't your ideal type of music, the extra knowledge will only help.
Break out a copy of the Who's "Tommy", and strum along with that. Pete Townshend invented rhythm guitar.

(Well, of course I know he didn't really, it just seems like it at times).

The tabs should be here at UG for the whole album.

Fast, complex rhythms, require the wrist to be looser than perhaps you're used to.

Try using a thin pick for a while. It's a crutch, but it smooths out your stroke.

Strangely, the 12 string also smooths your stroke, since the pick sweep is moderated by 2X the strings.

Much early rock, and and a lot of country songs have rhythms which identify the song, more so than the melody.

It would probably be quite painful to you, but try listening to the country songs: "The Way that I Am", (Martina Mcbride), and, "She's in Love with the Boy", (Trisha Yearwood).

And was told to you above, concentrate on the acoustic parts. "The Way that I Am", barely even has a "lead".
Quote by XSamX
as title says, i have been practicing my rhythm a lot lately, learning trivium songs like ember to inferno, suffocating sight etc... and i would sit there and practice galloping, downpicking and both together. i have been doing this for ages but in the past month or two i am just not getting any better and some days its worse. what am i doing wrong?!?!?

What exactly is about your playing that you actually want to improve? You need to be much more specific than just saying it needs to be "better"; "better" doesn't mean a damn thing.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Take a break... put it down for a week, go fly a kite.. learn a new recipe... take the wife out on a date...

then go back to it... I'd be willing to bet that when you get back, it all falls right into place...
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
What exactly is about your playing that you actually want to improve? You need to be much more specific than just saying it needs to be "better"; "better" doesn't mean a damn thing.
Oddly enough, in this case, I think "better" does mean something.

If what you're playing doesn't sound like what you're trying to emulate, or what you think it should sound like, or what you'd like it to sound like, and that condition persists then, "you're not getting any better".

Rhythm guitar is in large amount simple chords played with different timings and dynamics. So, I expect that when a person says they're not becoming better, it has to do with timing and dynamics. Unless you simply can't form a bunch of open chords, and I also expect that's not the case here.

There have been valid suggestions offered toward the end of, "becoming better".

But please, let's go forward with a semantic discussion instead.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Oct 21, 2011,
Quote by Captaincranky
Oddly enough, in this case, I think "better" does mean something.

If what you're playing doesn't sound like what you're trying to emulate, or what you think it should sound like, or what you'd like it to sound like, and that condition persists then, "you're not getting any better".

Rhythm guitar is in large amount simple chords played with different timings and dynamics. So, I expect that when a person says they're not becoming better, it has to do with timing and dynamics. Unless you simply can't form a bunch of open chords, and I also expect that's not the case here.

There have been valid suggestions offered toward the end of, "becoming better".

But please, let's go forward with a semantic discussion instead.

But then what about that is the aim? Does TS want to become faster? Is his playing not tight enough? Does he find himself lacking in stamina? What about "better" is it that TS wants?

I say again: "better" does not convey enough information for a decent response.

For the purposes of giving anyone advice there needs to be a specific question or an example of what is wrong, since neither is provided the language used is insufficient.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Last edited by Zaphod_Beeblebr at Oct 21, 2011,
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
But then what about that is the aim? Does TS want to become faster? Is his playing not tight enough? Does he find himself lacking in stamina? What about "better" is it that TS wants?

I say again: "better" does not convey enough information for a decent response.

For the purposes of giving anyone advice there needs to be a specific question or an example of what is wrong, since neither is provided the language used is insufficient.
(IMO) "Faster, tighter, with stamina", are all parts of a whole, and hence, interdependent. That said, I propose we solve all the issues at one time.

Mechanical issues: 1. Strings too thin. You need at least .10 to .46 strings to tighten up the sound. Anything less, you really need to be too "dainty"with your approach, to be as "expressive" as you might hope. Pete Townshend said he uses something like a .52 bottom, because he's a "heavy player". (IMO of course), He's one of the best rhythm guitarists around.

I posted some ideas above regarding musical suggestions, equipment, and technique.

Actual verbatim rhythm is one of the hardest things in music to either tab, or write in standard notation. Consequently, a player has to rely on mimicry and concentration in duplicating any given pattern. It's one of those things similar to what's said of the blues, in paraphrase; "you don't play rhythm guitar, you live it".

That out of the way, I think the best way to become better, is to experience, interpret, and try to mimic, as many rhythm driven(*) pieces of music as possible. The punk era wiped out some of the more clever type, "lead rhythm" type songs. Maybe a good sit down with The Rolling Stones", "Beggars Banquet" might help get someone in tune, so to speak.

(*) I understand all music is "rhythm driven", to one extent or another. The definition I'm working with is "music that is defined more by the rhythm pattern, than by the melody or the lead guitar. IE, The Rolling Stones, "Get off My Cloud", there's no lead to speak off, and what melody, (?), since you can barely understand the words. I guess pieces that as soon as you hear the rhythm, you know what the song is, are what I'm referring to. Um like, "Pinball Wizard".
Last edited by Captaincranky at Oct 21, 2011,