Ive been breaking down bending lately, and i found some kind of a quarter tone. Lets say im playing 2 string 3 fret. I bend the string just a little bit so the tone is pitched higher than the 3 fret sound, yet its lower than the 4 fret sound - a half semitone.

Will i be using this quartar tone in guitar music? Are there any genres which seldom utilize this tone? And how does this quartar tone interacts with our normal western scales? does it interact at all?
Quarter tones are a pretty standard thing in blues guitar, lead style anyway.
If your guitar isn't out of tune, bending and whammybar use is the only way to do it. I think.
yup only by bending, because the guitar is obviously tuned in semitones, not quarters, unless your guitar has some seriously bad intonation!

try bending a quater tone up from the dominant, it sounds quite cool, it's definitely the one i like the most!
Quote by Standarduser
I guess that you can only produce quartar notes through bending yeah?

You could tune your 6th string to E and 5th string to E + quarter tone (+50 cents). You could also push your string down very hard to "bend" it.
E:-6
B:-0
G:-5
D:-6
A:-0
E:-3
You can do it Jerry Donahue style and bend behind the nut. Works best with open notes. Also you can imitate a 1/4 bend with a slide (bottleneck).
Last edited by mdc at Oct 21, 2011,
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
Quarter tones don't interact with any western scales because they're not part of our harmony.

But its music theory... lets theorize how it would work.
Understand nothing, in order to learn everything.

Quote by liampje
I can write a coherent tune ... But 3/4? I play rock, not polka.
Quote by vampirelazarus
But its music theory... lets theorize how it would work.

Western theory cant really analyze it because its not the tones we've defined. Its the tones between those tones.

And yes, slight bends are used in blues guitar alot
Also used in indian music scitars stuff
Danelectro 1959 reissue

Quote by G.Krizzel
Music is just wiggly air. Accept it or leave it.

Also please visit this thread and help me tab out an album!!!
thread.
Yeah, they're called "microtones". Not generally used in Western music, apparently it's pretty common in India, Indonesia, etc. Sitars are tuned in half and whole steps, but the smaller frets allow for quarter step notes. Pretty interesting sound, really. I remember a song by Maynard Ferguson that we played in my high school's jazz band that was written with a sitar part in it. It was a pretty awesome sound, I'm still bummed we never got to perform it.

I also remember a story my choir director told me. There was apparently this choir director who split his choir in half, had each side sing a note a semitone apart, and gradually flatten or sharp until they met in the middle, a quarter tone between the notes they'd been given.
There's definitely a lot that can be done with quarter steps, I'm just not sure how you would notate it.
you could play micro tones with a fretless guitar or an expression pedal.
MARTY FRIEDMAN--"It’s a lot easier to be technical than it is stylized; it really is... But I think it’s a lot more rare to have someone who’s really got their own sound because that’s something you can’t practice."
I'd say the best function is as a leading tone. Unless you're playing on a fretless or something, you won't really have easy enough access to run 'foreign sounding' licks.
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Quote by mdc
You can do it Jerry Donahue style and bend behind the nut. Works best with open notes. Also you can imitate a 1/4 bend with a slide (bottleneck).

Tremolo bar too, and I'm sure some pedals.

Oh and listen to Clapton's stuff in Cream, really uses it well.
Blog Of Awesome UGers.
Quote by OddOneOut
I seem to attract girls.
Which is annoying, cos I'm a girl and I like cock.

Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
Being an idiot should be illegal too.
Apparently Led Zeppelin did a song made entirely of notes not in our Western scale. I'd love to hear that. But you can still use the theory of Western scales so I'm guessing the difference is probably hard to tell.