Hey! I have a peavey vypyr 15 and a yamaha pacifica 012. The quality is pretty good, Not outstanding though. I saw a lot of videos on youtube and the distortion in those are pretty awesome(Even in those videos with Squire Affinity Strats which is equal to the pacifica 012 in quality if not less). But no matter how hard I try, its impossible to get that quality on the vypyr 15 I have. I dont know why but.... Anyway, Is there anyway to fix this problem? There isnt much quality in the distortion. And when the volume exceeds 6 on the vypyr, I start hearing strange "tk""tk" noises and the amp starts to break up!
And If I were to spend anymore money on gear, What should I buy? I have a Distortion Pedal I bought a long time ago too. So would it be an amp or a pedal or a guitar or what? And is there a possibility that my vypyr 15 sucks because of my guitar? Please do reply! Thanks!
Yamaha Pacifica 012
Peavey Vypyr 15

Quote by jukejointjohnny
Pro Tip - Neck pickup, tone dial rolled all the way off, makes tuners respond WAY more accurately. I only learned this trick fairly recently, and it actually works.
Learn how to eq properly. Itll take a while to learn how to tweak the vypry to get a good sound out of it. Just be patient and you'll get that sound.
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
Quote by kutless999
Learn how to eq properly. Itll take a while to learn how to tweak the vypry to get a good sound out of it. Just be patient and you'll get that sound.

I copied the same metal setting the guy in youtube had and it was awesome on youtube but it sucked on my peavey.
Yamaha Pacifica 012
Peavey Vypyr 15

Quote by jukejointjohnny
Pro Tip - Neck pickup, tone dial rolled all the way off, makes tuners respond WAY more accurately. I only learned this trick fairly recently, and it actually works.
I've played the Vypyr 15 many times at GC with whatever random guitar was near by and never experienced that. I also own a Vypyr 60. My guess is yours is borked somehow. That is extremely possible with a $99 amp. I'd download the latest software version. Also, play your guitar through another amp to make sure there is no issue there. fly135 has one of these too, maybe he'll see this and think of something else.
Definitely something going wrong in the amp. All Vypyr 15's I've played were as decent as my 75 for the most part.

Could you possibly record a video for us?
I find the Vypyr 15 has great clean and high gain tones with mid gain tones being a bit grainy. Maybe you are trying to get too much volume or maybe your speaker has a damaged voice coil. I would try to find a way to see if the speaker is bad. It's a cheap 8" speaker. I built a new baffle board for a 10" speaker and the sound improved. So consider that.

It's a great entry level amp, but if you are looking to upgrade you should upgrade your amp instead of adding pedals.

Last edited by fly135 at Oct 21, 2011,
pedals won't do anything for it because it is an all digital amp. i had a vypyr 75 a while back and it absolutely sucks. hated the tone, and it always would shit the bed on me. volume anywhere past 2 or 3 and the tone was absolutely horrendous. in my personal opinion, thats what you get for most modeling amps. the only modeler i feel has good tone are the fender mustangs or g-dec 3's.

but like stated above, learning how to eq your amp is very important
Quote by fly135
I find the Vypyr 15 has great clean and high gain tones with mid gain tones being a bit grainy. Maybe you are trying to get too much volume or maybe your speaker has a damaged voice coil. I would try to find a way to see if the speaker is bad. It's a cheap 8" speaker. I built a new baffle board for a 10" speaker and the sound improved. So consider that.

It's a great entry level amp, but if you are looking to upgrade you should upgrade your amp instead of adding pedals.

That is awesome
Quote by fly135

OK thanks for the reply guys!
I played the vypyr today and it was extremely muddy and the distortion sucked like hell, and when i increase the volume, the sustain sucks. It's like playing an untuned guitar with distortion and hearing that wobbly sound even when the guitar is in perfect tune. I try to play in low volumes and it isnt good, So i increase the volume and this happens. Maybe there is something wrong with my Vypyr. There is no quality in the distortion what so ever! It could be my speaker or my amp itself. I bought the vypyr just a month ago and sometimes it sounds ok (Just okay nothing more) And sometimes it sucks like hell. The vypyr has been there in the shop for a long time so i guess somethings wrong with it. It also has a glue like thing which is yellowish in color on the under the processor(Dont know what you call that), It was there from the very beginning.
This is my setting.
Amp:Rectifier,Effects:Bypass,PreGain: Full, PostGain:Half, Low:Full, Mid:Zero,High:Second last dot.
Could it be because of some voltage variations? Earthing problems? Maybe Ill get my vypyr exchanged and get a new one. My friend is getting a vypyr 15 so ill test that and see. The Vypyr 15 Sucks as of now.
Yamaha Pacifica 012
Peavey Vypyr 15

Quote by jukejointjohnny
Quote by fly135

MINE!
"You're not hardcore unless you live hardcore"
Quote by amithkallupalam
OK thanks for the reply guys!
This is my setting.
Amp:Rectifier,Effects:Bypass,PreGain: Full, PostGain:Half, Low:Full, Mid:Zero,High:Second last dot.

I think this is the problem. The rectifier already sounds a little harsh and scooped on the Vypyr 15, and this just makes it even more (in my opinion). One little trick is to use the pitch shifter, and set both parameters to 12 o clock in edit mode. This warms the tone up a little.

The best sounding amps on the Vypyr will be the peavey ones, try the 6505, JSX or XXX.
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Godin Velocity
Peavey Vypyr 15 Watt
AMT WH1 Japanese Girl Wah
Marshall BB-2 Boost/OD
Joyo JF-07 Classic Flanger
Joyo JF-37 Analog Chorus
Yeah, don't scoop your mids.
When I increase the mids, I really dont like the sound. It doesnt sound good at all. Ive tried a 6505 setting, with full bass and full full treble, But it doesnt sound that great. The rectifier sounds better. I couldn't find any good setting with the JSX or the XXX. Maybe Ill check them out tomorrow once again.
Yamaha Pacifica 012
Peavey Vypyr 15

Quote by jukejointjohnny
zero mids full bass full treble
wut.....
Gear:
Peavey 6505 120W Head
Ibanez Rga32 (FOR SALE)
Laney Lv412a Cab(FOR SALE)
Soon To Get::
Boss DD20
Morley Bad Horsie II
Quote by deepsal
zero mids full bass full treble
wut.....

This

Guitar is a midrange instument. Bass is for the bass player and mids is for the guitar player.

Start with everything at 12 o clock and work your way from there. It's ok to add some bass as long as you have a decent amount of mids as well.
Quote by amithkallupalam
I copied the same metal setting the guy in youtube had and it was awesome on youtube but it sucked on my peavey.

you cant just copy settings
the settings on the amp change from guitar to sitar
Gear:
Peavey 6505 120W Head
Ibanez Rga32 (FOR SALE)
Boss DD20
Morley Bad Horsie II
Bass full, gain full, mids zero, treble full, are you for real?

Start with everything at noon, then tweak, its not against the law or anything to scoop mids but don't scoop alot, if you do expect it get a little muddy.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
First of which, your Treble settings are WAY too high for the Rectifier setting. You CAN scoop your mids, but I'd recommend them at least at 9 o clock, with your bass about 3 o' clock and treble about 1-2 o clock. Another thing I experiment with is placing the amp up against a wall with just enough room to let it breathe a bit. Give you a warmer low end. But yeah, playing on 6 with your mids scooped isn't going to make you sound like Dimebag or James Hetfield, especially on this amp.
Quote by AsOneIStand
First of which, your Treble settings are WAY too high for the Rectifier setting. You CAN scoop your mids, but I'd recommend them at least at 9 o clock, with your bass about 3 o' clock and treble about 1-2 o clock. Another thing I experiment with is placing the amp up against a wall with just enough room to let it breathe a bit. Give you a warmer low end. But yeah, playing on 6 with your mids scooped isn't going to make you sound like Dimebag or James Hetfield, especially on this amp.

Thanks for all the replies! Anyway Since you guys told me not to scoop the mids, I came up with a new setting. Pre gain:Full, Post Gain:Full, Bass:12 o clock,Mids:1-2 o clock, Treble;3 o clock. Guess what. It sucks even worse than my previous setting with mids scooped. When i increase the mids, My tone gets muddy and it ist clear. It also makes a lotta unwanted noises too. Dont know why. I tried AsOneIStand's Setting too and that doesnt sound good. I think there is something wrong with my amp. Because sometimes its good and sometimes its not. When I increase the mids, my tone sucks. Im gonna have to wait for my friend to get his vypyr. He's getting it tomorrow. Ill play the his vypyr with my guitar and see.
Yamaha Pacifica 012
Peavey Vypyr 15

Quote by jukejointjohnny
You don't need that much gain. Turn it down.
Quote by amithkallupalam
I came up with a new setting. Pre gain:Full, Post Gain:Full, Bass:12 o clock,Mids:1-2 o clock, Treble;3 o clock. Guess what. It sucks even worse than my previous setting with mids scooped.

well there's your problem. Gain cranked to the stop will generally produce a muddy, fizzy tone generally described as being "shit", no matter how the EQ is set. If you're playing metal, roll the gain knob JUST high enough to get nice chuggy palm mutes and stop. You really shouldn't need any more than that. You want to actually hear the notes, not a wall of BZZZZZZVVVVSHSHSHHHHHHHHBZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ when you strum the guitar. And excessive amp noise is also a symptom of too much gain.

Don't get me wrong, I loves me some gain. You just have to figure out what is too much. Hope it helps.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
use the jsx model kid keep the pre and post gain low not max and all the rest of the knobs at noon
Gear:
Peavey 6505 120W Head
Ibanez Rga32 (FOR SALE)
Boss DD20
Morley Bad Horsie II
Thanks guys. I tried a lot of amp models. Edited the EQ, Edited gain but no use. My amp is still too muddy. I connected my amp to my home theatre and guess what! It was awesome! It wasnt muddy at all! It was clear, crisp and had awesome quality when I played. Even on the shittiest settings! So I think its my vypyrs speakers problem! Otherwise, How could it sound good on a stereo amp and suck on the vypyrs inbuilt speaker? Ill have to test my friends vypyr and see. And BTW, is it possible to connect my vypyr to a 2x12 combo? Through the headphones out using a few converters? Because, if it sounds cool while connecting to an external amp, Its gotta work with a cab right? I mean a cab is a speaker and a Headphone is also typically a speaker!
Yamaha Pacifica 012
Peavey Vypyr 15

Quote by jukejointjohnny
Last edited by amithkallupalam at Oct 23, 2011,
You can do that but be careful. When you start connecting amps you may go back to the mud. It would be better to disconnect the speaker from both amp and make a jumper to connect he speaker out of the Vypyr to the speakers on the 2x12.
Ok so if im gonna have to pull it off, I should disconnect the amp from its inbuilt speaker and then connect it to the cab? Wouldnt it be easier to just use the headphones out? And If i disconnect it, I wouldnt be able to use it as a practice amp right?

EDIT:And is it possible to change the vypyrs speaker like you did, Fly135? I think ill be able to fit in a 10" Speaker if I change the board.
Yamaha Pacifica 012
Peavey Vypyr 15

Quote by jukejointjohnny
Last edited by amithkallupalam at Oct 23, 2011,
The headphones out will have some speaker emulation. Then you run that into the preamp of another amp that will process the signal to give an amp tone. You are combining two amp tones, a speaker emulation, and then finally a cab. That's a recipe for mud.
troll troll lol lol ^dont unless you know soldering
Gear:
Peavey 6505 120W Head
Ibanez Rga32 (FOR SALE)
Boss DD20
Morley Bad Horsie II
I may be wrong on this, but the headphone out may have speaker emulation. Could be why it sounds different.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
Quote by fly135
The headphones out will have some speaker emulation. Then you run that into the preamp of another amp that will process the signal to give an amp tone. You are combining two amp tones, a speaker emulation, and then finally a cab. That's a recipe for mud.

No thats not what im talking about. I Want to connect my vypyr directly to a speaker cabinet. Just one amp and one speaker.
Yamaha Pacifica 012
Peavey Vypyr 15

Quote by jukejointjohnny
Quote by amithkallupalam
No thats not what im talking about. I Want to connect my vypyr directly to a speaker cabinet. Just one amp and one speaker.
The headphone out is not good enough to drive a cab. That's why you need to use the speaker output. Plus the issue of speaker emulation in the headphone out.

Yes you can replace the speaker with a 10" just like I did. I made a new baffle board because the one in there is a bit thin for a bigger heavier speaker. Plus I wanted to be able to switch it back to stock if needed as I borrowed the speaker from another amp.
Quote by fly135
The headphone out is not good enough to drive a cab. That's why you need to use the speaker output. Plus the issue of speaker emulation in the headphone out.

Yes you can replace the speaker with a 10" just like I did. I made a new baffle board because the one in there is a bit thin for a bigger heavier speaker. Plus I wanted to be able to switch it back to stock if needed as I borrowed the speaker from another amp.

Cool. Thanks.
Yamaha Pacifica 012
Peavey Vypyr 15

Quote by jukejointjohnny
For all this money you're talking about spending your Vypyr 15, don't. I love the Vypyr series to death, but I do not recommend the 15 to anyone, unless they are really just flat out broke. Simply put, they're not very good. Sell the 15 for like $60, and use that towards getting a Vypyr Tube 60. They go for around $300 used, sometimes cheaper if you're lucky. If you think the 15 sounds good, the 60 will make you shit your pants.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
As everyone has pointed out, it's your EQ settings. I use the red Rectifier with this

Pre-gain: 1 o' clock
Bass: Same, maybe a little more to make up for the smaller speaker
Mids: 11 o' clock (4/10)
Treble: 1 or 2 o' clock (6 or 7/10)
Post gain: Doesn't really matter

this should get you a nice enough tone. Your settings would make any amp sound like crap honestly.