Page 1 of 2
I'm currently in my senior year of highschool, I have a basic idea of what I want to do afterwards(music education either for elementary or middle school) Through out college how much did your goals change? I don't want to attend some college geared towards music and decide its not what I feel like doing.

Thoughts on the matter?
Agile ps 900
Washburn Wi
Rogue bass

all running through podfarm platinum XD
Give yourself at least a year off school and try to find a way to do what you think you want to spend the rest of your life doing, even if its just volunteering. It would be better to find out that you actually hate dealing with kids before you start paying for school to get a career working with them.
Quote by Butt Rayge
Pretty sure Jesus was decaffeinated.

I'm just a hedonist without happiness
i'd start going to school at least part time after you graduate high school to get your gen eds out of the way. you don't have to declare your major until you start your junior year in college so i'd use that time to decide what you want to do instead of delaying your college graduation by a year
[Cool Post-N00b of the Pedalboard Thread]
Guitars:Fender Am. Standard Telecaster, Gibson SG
Amp:Fender Blues Jr.
Pedals:EQD Dream Crusher->Polytune->PH-1r->Fulldrive 2->Barber LTD->Catalinbread DLS->CE-3->Strymon El Capistan->EQD Ghost Echo
I've stayed in my major since the first day of freshman year, though I changed minors and what I want to end up doing with my major which is pretty open-ended, so it's almost like a change. And the majority of my friends have changed their majors at least once.

One of my roommates is doing music ed, and he's been in it since about the beginning, and he likes it, just don't really expect to be rich.

And the beauty of freshman year is that you can take a bunch of entry level classes in a lot of different subjects and maybe see if there's something else you'd like to be doing instead of what you originally thought.
R.I.P. M.C.A.
Tweet at me bro
lushacrous loves you
Quote by blake1221
Don't be ludicrous, lushacrous.
Quote by Gunpowder
that joke regarding your username was NOT originally posted by blake1221. That was a Gunpowder original.

I INVOKE SOPA TO SMITE YE FOR THIS FALSEHOOD.
Don't take a year off, that's the worst decision. Get in, and get that shit over with. Your first 2 years will just be pre-reqs anyways. I'm currently studying Criminal Justice & Psychology at Univ. of Michigan, and I'm thinking of minoring in Philosophy. Anyways, you'll figure it out soon enough man, I switched my major 3 times my freshman year before deciding on having two majors, lol.
I had a similar dilema when leaving school, I'm in the UK myself (am assuming you're in US) but when I left school I eventually decided to go straight to work - any work - so that by the time I figured out what I really wanted to study, I'd at least have a CV (resumé that will always be there because in today's job market you're extremely lucky to find any kind of job if you've never worked before, however once you have, you'll always have that experience and something to "fall back on" as it were to show future employers.

At the moment personally I'm studying music technology and business in my second year after having 5 years between starting college and finishing high school. I quit a good paying job to go to college and struggled to find something part time, eventually did find something but they said if it hadn't been for previous work experience I wouldn't have even got an interview.

My advice would be to spend a year working to earn some cash and figuring out/researching EXACTLY what you want to do, then do it.
Gear:
Epiphone SG Standard - Natural Wood Finish + SD Alnico Pro 2 Bridge Pickup
Epiphone Les Paul Standard - Limited Edition Green
Ibanez S470
Blackstar HT-100 Head
Harley Benton 2x12 Vintage 30's
Vox AC4TV
Vox VT15
Yeah, most people don't go to college after taking a year off. Just figure out what you like and what you want to do. The important part isn't your major as much as just having a degree is. You'll end up changing careers anyway. But definitely go.
Epiphone Les Paul Studio w/ P90s
Epiphone Wilshire Pro Reissue w/ Pearly Gates Pickups
JCA2212c
Vox Night Train
Raven 1x12
Digitech Whammy
TC Electronic Polyphonic Tuner
Earthquaker Devices The Hoof Fuzz
Carbon Copy
BYOC BBO
TC Arena Reverb
College gives you plenty of time and opportunity to figure it out. Just go jump into it. I'm a 3rd year at the University of California Berkeley, and I'm still Slavic Studies like when I got here. Though I'm now taking a bunch of languages I never planned on.
language
jazyk
kieli
язык
العربية

My Tumblr: Lots of artist recommendations, album reviews, and ideas about music (as well as some film and bike stuff).

Go Sharks! Go Wings! Go Flyers! Go Kings!
i just started college last year. i'm working towards a degree in EET at ecpi. So far, i think this is the most enjoyable course i've taken.
I really appreciate all the input, very insightful. I know I will be enrolling immediately after I graduate due to the fact that since my family is paying for my education, they would want me to start as soon as possible. I know my job won't be very secure nor will it provide me with the money I need to purchase the gear of my wildest dreams but as for long as I can remember I've wanted to be a music teacher. Have any of you had any trouble trying to find a job after you've graduated?
Agile ps 900
Washburn Wi
Rogue bass

all running through podfarm platinum XD
You may as well go straight in, the first two years of your college experience will consist of general pre-requisite courses anyway. Also, reconsider that music degree. Music programs are being cut from public schools left and right.
Just a sub-par guitar player..

Quote by darkstar2466
Let's make this the Pit's motto:

"Forever alone, together"

IS THIS FREEDOM, OR CONFINEMENT?! FREE MOSCOE_ESPANOL!!!
searchbar. god damit. this thread is done once a f*cking week. jesus christ. can't handle these ****ing kids anymores.

/rage
your whisper may sway the weak, but when i speak it roars the seas
Quote by SanchoII
searchbar. god damit. this thread is done once a f*cking week. jesus christ. can't handle these ****ing kids anymores.

/rage

Someone didn't get into college.
R.I.P. M.C.A.
Tweet at me bro
lushacrous loves you
Quote by blake1221
Don't be ludicrous, lushacrous.
Quote by Gunpowder
that joke regarding your username was NOT originally posted by blake1221. That was a Gunpowder original.

I INVOKE SOPA TO SMITE YE FOR THIS FALSEHOOD.
Quote by lushacrous

haha probably
Bishop of Zeppelinism PM The Heartbreaker to join.

Quote by Duff_McGee
Everyone knows that the day the Metallica ends, the world ends.
Quote by lushacrous

Quote by darkstar2466

Most people around here take a year or two off before going to uni and I think it's a great idea. I just started uni after 2 years of work, travel and enjoying life, and I feel much more ready for 5 years of uni than I did after high school
Quote by fatslash
I really appreciate all the input, very insightful. I know I will be enrolling immediately after I graduate due to the fact that since my family is paying for my education, they would want me to start as soon as possible. I know my job won't be very secure nor will it provide me with the money I need to purchase the gear of my wildest dreams but as for long as I can remember I've wanted to be a music teacher. Have any of you had any trouble trying to find a job after you've graduated?

I will warn you about being a music major. I've known four or five people who started out as one and only one kept it. Try it, but always have a back up plan.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
I'm actually doing the same thing you want to, except I'm double majoring in jazz studies and music education. To start off, I actually got a 2 year transfer degree from a community college, which helped a lot in transitioning into the college experience as far as the workload is concerned. If you're in the US, you might consider that. The classes are smaller, the teachers are nicer and more willing to talk to you as equals (since they get a lot of middle aged students who don't just take everything they say for granted like younger kids do), and the environment is just more relaxed. However, it depends on how your university structures their music program. My school forces all students to go through 4 years to obtain any music degree, simply based on the way they structure their music classes. Thus, even though I have all my gen eds done, I still have to spend 4 years taking music classes and the odd gen ed class to make sure I have enough credits for financial aid. My experience so far has been great, and I don't really think I've had any doubts about my major since I started. There's a basic 2 year grouping of core music classes that every major requires, and then you move on to the specific stuff later. The core classes consist of a basic schedule of sight-singing and dictation, music theory, ensemble performance (jazz ensemble is MUCH more fun than guitar ensemble, FYI, but depending on your major you might have to just do classical guitar), piano classes, and private guitar instruction. You will have to study and practice a lot of different things at once, such as piano pieces and scales, guitar exercises and pieces from your private teacher, ensemble pieces that you'll want to have down really well unless you feel like being the screwup in your group, and sight-singing pieces. Still, most of these things are somewhat fun to practice. You'll feel like you're becoming a better musician as you work on them. I don't know about you, but that's the best kind of homework I could ask for.
As far as the actual class experience, you'll probably like that as well. Whereas with my gen ed classes I tend to say "aww, great, now I have to go to Russian class for an hour," my music classes tend to make me say "sweet, I get to go to sight-singing class for an hour" or "great, I get to go play piano for an hour" etc etc.

I don't know what you can expect to run into once you've got your degree and you need to find a teaching job, as that's all up in the air. However, I can assure you that if you like music - not just jamming on some blues, but really learning the inner workings of all types of music - then you'll probably really enjoy getting a music degree.
It's great that you are into your major, but unless you're going to get a Phd in music education, I don't think it's worth much from an employment standpoint because, as someone stated earlier, music programs are getting the axe one after the other. Mind you, I think it's better that you have some kind of college education than not, but still, as expensive as getting one is these days you have to think about what you will end up getting for your dollar. You should really think about double majoring in a science and then music education.
Quote by lushacrous

beg to differ

scored top 1% on SAT (score = 2050 out of 2400 or 1400 out of 1600 depending on how your college looks at it) i could get into any college in the nation, i chose ASU because the barrett honors college is one of the best, and its cheap so i get to keep a bunch of money left over from my scholarships.

currently the government is paying me 40 grand a year to attend college on a presidential scholarship because i am one of those "bright minds of the future." even shook michelle obama's hand at the reception.

i was simply sick of all the high school seniors asking what college is like from a bunch of musicians when it has 1) already been done before many times and 2) there are many people who have been to college he could ask in person and 3) there is an even better search bar for this topic located at www.google.com
your whisper may sway the weak, but when i speak it roars the seas
at least your not a pickle.

EDIT:
Quote by SanchoII
beg to differ

scored top 1% on SAT (score = 2050 out of 2400 or 1400 out of 1600 depending on how your college looks at it) i could get into any college in the nation, i chose ASU because the barrett honors college is one of the best, and its cheap so i get to keep a bunch of money left over from my scholarships.

currently the government is paying me 40 grand a year to attend college on a presidential scholarship because i am one of those "bright minds of the future." even shook michelle obama's hand at the reception.

i was simply sick of all the high school seniors asking what college is like from a bunch of musicians when it has 1) already been done before many times and 2) there are many people who have been to college he could ask in person and 3) there is an even better search bar for this topic located at www.google.com

Where is your sense of community young man?
Last edited by Jawlytomtom at Oct 21, 2011,
It's just like the movies.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by SanchoII
beg to differ

Cool story, now stop bitching over a thread.

Quote by darkstar2466

Apply to USC, we have the money, unlike state schools.

No, but seriously, the Thornton School of Music at USC is pretty awesome. Plus we are right next to Hollywood, plenty of internships for you to develop your music skills
Come to Canada.
You won't have to worry about SATs or whatever you kids do down there.
Seriously, some of the schools are pretty good.
Find a job doing something that you can actually make money at. Alot of these stupid kids go out and get 4 year degrees in useless crap, then blame the government and big business when they can't find a job with their 4 year useless crap degree.
Quote by ethan_hanus
Find a job doing something that you can actually make money at. Alot of these stupid kids go out and get 4 year degrees in useless crap, then blame the government and big business when they can't find a job with their 4 year useless crap degree.
Exactly. Useless degrees like Engineering. And Business.

Wasting their time majoring in something like that. Makes me sick.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by ethan_hanus

True dat. That's why I'm planning on majoring in software engineering, since I assume everything in the future will be run by robots. And who's gonna be programming the robots? Me, that's who. I'll have an army of Terminators to protect me and a harem of sexbots to keep me entertained.
Quote by Highway60Bob
i've always been looking for a good excuse to **** my mom.
Quote by element4433
Exactly. Useless degrees like Engineering. And Business.

Wasting their time majoring in something like that. Makes me sick.

Any job that can be shipped overseas is something you should avoid, cause the way our government is going, it prolly will end up shipped overseas...just sayen.
Quote by ethan_hanus
Any job that can be shipped overseas is something you should avoid, cause the way our government is going, it prolly will end up shipped overseas...just sayen.
What I'm saying is that it's not just art history majors that aren't getting work; it's everybody. I know people who majored in engineering and are working at Best Buy. I know business majors who have graduated and are bagging groceries. And I know people who majored in something practical and are unemployed because their degree scares off minimum wage job opportunities.

It's not just the "pointless degree" recent grads that are struggling to find work; it's everybody.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Quote by element4433
What I'm saying is that it's not just art history majors that aren't getting work; it's everybody. I know people who majored in engineering and are working at Best Buy. I know business majors who have graduated and are bagging groceries. And I know people who majored in something practical and are unemployed because their degree scares off minimum wage job opportunities.

It's not just the "pointless degree" recent grads that are struggling to find work; it's everybody.

Exactly, because businesses don't want people with useless degrees, they want people with SKILLS. Everybody I know of that's been to trade school has gotten a job right out of trade school.

A commercial electrician can make well over $250,000 a year easily. And it doesn't require a college education, just some know how.
Quote by ethan_hanus
Exactly, because businesses don't want people with useless degrees, they want people with SKILLS. Everybody I know of that's been to trade school has gotten a job right out of trade school.

A commercial electrician can make well over $250,000 a year easily. And it doesn't require a college education, just some know how.
An engineering degree is useless now?
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Quote by element4433

It's been like that since the beginning of time. My parents ended up doing part time jobs after graduating from one of the top Canadian universities back in the mid 80's.
That's why most people say it's all about networking and knowing people.
Quote by element4433
An engineering degree is useless now?

Do you know how many engineers there are out there that are wayy more qualified than the guy coming right out of school? It's overdone, because people still think it'll make them alot of money. There's no demand for engineers anymore, we have enough already. This is what people don't seem to understand.

The demand is for people with physical skills to do skillful work, specific skillful work.
Quote by Extra Ordinary
It's been like that since the beginning of time. My parents ended up doing part time jobs after graduating from one of the top Canadian universities back in the mid 80's.
That's why most people say it's all about networking and knowing people.
My dad got a job right out of college using his useless engineering degree.

EVIDENCE CANCELS I'M RIGHT!
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Quote by ethan_hanus

The demand is for people with physical skills to do skillful work, specific skillful work.

Mexicans?
Quote by ethan_hanus

thats bullshit, i worked as an apprentice for years and no one made that much money. i wasn't even sure if id have a job the next day. sometimes i wouldn't work for weeks because of the lack of work in the field. i want to meet the guy running a shop making that much money, i will work for him.

i went back to school because an education is important, the economy will come back. it always dips every ten years or so.
Page 1 of 2