I'd like to know what does UG have to do to have some artists tabs become available for some country? For example, how does UG get a licence to show Metallica tabs in the USA? How does it get a licence to show tabs in the EU? Do they have to pay for it?

I was not able to see Led Zeppelin and David Bowie tabs in my country (Lithuania - it's in the European Union). I contacted the so-called "rights owner" in my country (LATGA) - an institution that claims it represents all musicians from the whole world in my country. I asked them: why can't I see Led Zeppelin tabs? They answered me: "that website allows to see the content only in those countries where it has acquired a licence [to show that content] and pays a levy".

Okay, I got it. But why can I see tabs by Metallica, Rolling Stones, Beatles and pretty much everything else? Has Ultimate Guitar paid all these artists so that people in Lithuania could see their tabs? I doubt so. I seems to me that the organization I contacted is doing something unfair.

So what is the process of having a band's tabs becoming available for all countries?
I don't think UG pays royalties, basically if a copyright holder asks for the tabs to be taken down they are. There's quite a few tabs that I haven't being able to access
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Quote by turtlewax
I don't think UG pays royalties, basically if a copyright holder asks for the tabs to be taken down they are. There's quite a few tabs that I haven't being able to access

that's what i used to think, but it's kinda weird that the tabs aren't taken down globally, but only in some countries/regions. It doesn't sound too likely that copyright holders would come and ask to take the evil tabs down in EU and/or US, but let the rest of the world access w/o any restrictions. Well unless they can only take the tabs down in countries in which they have someone to represent them (either their branch or some local copyright authority).
Quote by KorYi
that's what i used to think, but it's kinda weird that the tabs aren't taken down globally, but only in some countries/regions. It doesn't sound too likely that copyright holders would come and ask to take the evil tabs down in EU and/or US, but let the rest of the world access w/o any restrictions. Well unless they can only take the tabs down in countries in which they have someone to represent them (either their branch or some local copyright authority).

I presume everyone can see Led Zeppelin tabs in the USA, UK, Germany, France. I don't know, but somehow I think so. And I cannot see them in my small worthless shitty country called Lithuania. So that basically means that representatives in MY country asked the tabs be removed while they were not removed for the other countries. That is VERY weird. There is only one company in this country that represents artists (both local and from the other countries) - it's a monopoly, - and I know it does its job poorly - there are artists who do not get royalties from it, although it represents them. So to me it is more than weird that representatives of Led Zeppelin contacted this company in my country and ask them to block thos tabs in this country. Moreover, I am completely sure that no one in that company has ever heard of Led Zeppelin, because those are old dudes working here, and it's a post-soviet country...
Quote by guitar ben94
Little tip. Put 'cache:' in front of the url and the tab should show.

Mozilla says "cache is not a registered protocol" and IE just does not load...
Quote by andriusd
Mozilla says "cache is not a registered protocol" and IE just does not load...

yea the cache trick has been around for a while and seems to work well, but it might be a chrome thing, since it redirects you to cached version of the website by google. I don't have FF or any other browser installed to try it out.

edit: yea it's chrome-only thing

Anyway, back to original topic: what i wrote is only what i think. I have no idea if it actually works that way or not. Could be also different with different copanies n'stuff. In here i can access led zeppelin tabs, but there are others (like clapton) that are blocked.
Last edited by KorYi at Oct 21, 2011,
you can look on Youtube for guitar lessons that show you how to play songs, but i'm sure it won't be long before those will be blocked too... you can spin a record in your room and try to learn it yourself by ear, but i'm sure that will be blocked too soon enough ... sweat rises to the top !
Quote by KorYi
yea the cache trick has been around for a while and seems to work well, but it might be a chrome thing, since it redirects you to cached version of the website by google. I don't have FF or any other browser installed to try it out.

edit: yea it's chrome-only thing

No it isn't - Chrome just works differently to Firefox & IE.

A few months ago I was discussing this in one of the many 'Blocked Tabs' threads. Tested it in all three of the main browsers, and in Chrome it worked in the main address bar, in Firefox & IE you had to copy & paste the URL into a google search & put cache in front of it there.

It was something like that anyway - it was quite a while ago, and I've not needed it since so can't remember the full details. The trick definitely worked in all three browsers though.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
where exactly do you put the word cache in the url ? ive tried in def places does not work