now then,

i absolutely LOVE SG's, and thus, intend for my next purchase to be such an instrument.

so i was wondering, what are the REAL differences between the SG standard and the faded?

please dont just put 'the faded is shit' or anything like that, i want to know what justifies this £300-£400 difference in the guitars?

i played a worn brown Faded SG at a music store in manchester and loved the thing, was so comfortable. havnt had the chance to play a standard yet, so cant really compare.

if i were to buy either, i intend to get it proffessionally re-finished in white (L-O-V-E white SG's), and change the pups to either SDs or BKPs and upgrade all the electronics. and i personally prefer dot inlays to blocks.

so yeah... what are the differences???
Quote by Spaztikko
Imagine the part of the ballsack where occasionally old poo sticks to the pubes and hardens, and you then have to pull out, but as an amp. That's an MG.

Greatest quote of all time?

I think so...
Standards are made to a higher QC, and I belive have a diffrent neck profile. Diffrent pickups and inlays. They are still good guitars (Fadded) but are slightly diffrent. If you like it get it. I actualy bought a Epi G-400 because I liked the neck much better than any of the Gibson SG's I have played, but thats just me.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
so, as i intend on re-finishing and re-wiring and changing pups, the faded might just be the best bet then ay guys?
Quote by Spaztikko
Imagine the part of the ballsack where occasionally old poo sticks to the pubes and hardens, and you then have to pull out, but as an amp. That's an MG.

I think so...
Yes I'd say it would be the best value if your gonna mod it to that extent.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
good times then!!!
Quote by Spaztikko

I think so...
I have owned both! So let me chime in. The differences between the two are almost entirely cosmetic. Gloss finish vs non-gloss finish...binding vs no binding...pickup covers versus no pick up covers. That's pretty much it. However, there is something to be said about the way the guitars feel in your hand. The gloss finish to me feels better and though it may just be me going insane the gloss finished neck feels just a tiny bit thicker to me. Which I like. Also the faded version I had had slightly more noisy electronics. Which I would attribute to haphazard wiring since the pups and pots were the same. IMO Go standard if you have the cash. If not the faded is a good bargain.

BTW: Its not worth refinishing a brand new guitar just to have a preferred color imo. Its costly and it drags down the value of the guitar. Gibsons hold value if all original but once you start making changes they tend to no longer do so. You can buy a white finished SG on sweetwater.com I was just browsing the site and saw one if I am not mistaken.
Last edited by Tyler.Allain at Oct 21, 2011,
Quote by Tyler.Allain
I have owned both! So let me chime in. The differences between the two are almost entirely cosmetic. Gloss finish vs non-gloss finish...binding vs no binding...pickup covers versus no pick up covers. That's pretty much it. However, there is something to be said about the way the guitars feel in your hand. The gloss finish to me feels better and though it may just be me going insane the gloss finished neck feels just a tiny bit thicker to me. Which I like. Also the faded version I had had slightly more noisy electronics. Which I would attribute to haphazard wiring since the pups and pots were the same. IMO Go standard if you have the cash. If not the faded is a good bargain.

BTW: Its not worth refinishing a brand new guitar just to have a preferred color imo. Its costly and it drags down the value of the guitar. Gibsons hold value if all original but once you start making changes they tend to no longer do so. You can buy a white finished SG on sweetwater.com I was just browsing the site and saw one if I am not mistaken.

The pickups are diffrent 490t/490r in the fadded, 57 classics in the standard. IIRC
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
The pickups are diffrent 490t/490r in the fadded, 57 classics in the standard. IIRC

My standard had 498T/490R's stock. Gibson changes the stock pickups in their instruments from time to time. I don't know what the 2011 standards have in them but I was under the impression they still are using the 498T/490R set up. As in the Fadeds.

EDIT: Just checked musiciansfriend. They are using the 498T/490R set up in the Standards.

EDIT: To TS http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SGSPOAWCH/ there is an SG special. Not a special faded in alpine white. So you get the nice gloss finish but no binding or trapezoid inlays in the color you want for 1k. even.
yes they do change them up, but the bridge in the faded is a 490T not the 498T, not a horrible pickup, but not as good as the 498T.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
yes they do change them up, but the bridge in the faded is a 490T not the 498T, not a horrible pickup, but not as good as the 498T.

Yeah I didn't mention the 490T/498T difference because one is just a bit hotter and darker and I actually prefer the slightly more mellow and bright 490T. Definitely a notable difference though for the thread starter. I changed the bridge pup in my standard to a BB pro anyway. Definitely worth it.
Quote by Tyler.Allain
Yeah I didn't mention the 490T/498T difference because one is just a bit hotter and darker and I actually prefer the slightly more mellow and bright 490T. Definitely a notable difference though for the thread starter. I changed the bridge pup in my standard to a BB pro anyway. Definitely worth it.

Right on I wasn't trying to start a war, just facts
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
i think the SG standards generally have one-piece bodies which to most people is preferable to the 3-piece bodies the specials usually have.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.