Hey guys.

I am a guitarist who has been playing for nearly 3 years, I want to play a song by Paul Gilbert or any of that sort like shred, but I can't learn any songs I like cause I'm not fast enough. If Anyone could answer how this process may be easier in practice hours or how to develop a better way of this technique that would be awesome, I want to become more precise and faster so I can play a song I really like, I have heard many theories of practicing notes 'fast' and practicing them 'slow' it is all a confusing statement but I do both of the theories I have heard in the past, practice wise. I was wondering maybe what could help to make things go quicker so I can just play a few songs I really enjoy.
starting slow is really the only thing you can do. if you can learn how to play something without having to think about it at a slower speed it's easier at a faster speed. and the more you play of any style, the easier it is to play. so learn slow, speed it up.
The only way to get faster is to start slow and be relaxed.

You start at the highest speed you can play "insert riff/lick here" perfectly and relaxed. Then you practice there for awhile. Then when you practice the next day it should be easier to do what you did the day before, even if it's just a little.

But as said, some things take longer time to get used to. But that is the basic idea, relaxed and perfect practice is the only way to improve greatly.
thank you guys, it means a lot to help a guitar guy who wants to learn a few songs in the process, Isn't there a time where you have to put a little extra pressure on the notes on your muscles, cause If I was relaxed every time I practiced and felt nothing on my muscles I never would of thought of it that way before to advance my techique..
Quote by Winter Skyes
thank you guys, it means a lot to help a guitar guy who wants to learn a few songs in the process, Isn't there a time where you have to put a little extra pressure on the notes on your muscles, cause If I was relaxed every time I practiced and felt nothing on my muscles I never would of thought of it that way before to advance my techique..

No, not really. There's a thread in the stickies something about a challenge over a certain amount of days that talks about why practicing slow is good. I have heard in a Shawn Lane video something about the balance of relaxation and concentration/execution or something along those lines that sort of contradicts relaxing in a way, but that's for a very high level of guitar playing which you won't need to worry about for a very long time.
Quote by TechIndustrial
No, not really. There's a thread in the stickies something about a challenge over a certain amount of days that talks about why practicing slow is good. I have heard in a Shawn Lane video something about the balance of relaxation and concentration/execution or something along those lines that sort of contradicts relaxing in a way, but that's for a very high level of guitar playing which you won't need to worry about for a very long time.

+1

you should only be able to tense up if you want it, not becasue it happens or your body needs to in order to keep up.
Quote by Winter Skyes

Nope. This isn't weightlifting, you're not looking to work against resistance. This isn't an issue of strength or musculature, it's purely skill-related. You need to get better at playing the guitar, that means being more accurate, keeping better time and having more control over the pick and your fretting hand, making your movements as economical as possible.

Wasted energy and inefficient motion is what slows a guitarist down.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by Sickz
The only way to get faster is to start slow and be relaxed.

You start at the highest speed you can play "insert riff/lick here" perfectly and relaxed. Then you practice there for awhile. Then when you practice the next day it should be easier to do what you did the day before, even if it's just a little.

But as said, some things take longer time to get used to. But that is the basic idea, relaxed and perfect practice is the only way to improve greatly.

+1 a post full of wisdom.

This process is deigned to train your muscle memory.

Take my free ebook and read the first 2 chapters :http://www.guitarlearningtips.org/the-guitar-blueprint-to-success/

You will understand better what it takes to develop speed.

The main problem with most guitarist is that they don't know the mental process of becoming better.

I studied some pshychology a one of my other hobbies and i found a lot about the process of guitar playing.

My phylosophy about teaches focuses on the mental process of learning as both for the process of technically learning how to play guitar
Oh wow, well sounds to me its a process that more likely 'just happens' as you play from what it sounds, I guess I have been looking at things the wrong way, I still hope this works out cause I really would like to play any Paul gilbert song, besides down from mexico I can play it but the solo not as fast once he goes crazy..
If you are into Paul Gilbert then acquire his instructional DVDs and practice the licks. Practice them a lot. Some fine tabbers on UG have made guitar pro files of many of the exercises he teaches so download them to so you can practice it in time.

GuitarPro (or TuxGuitar if you dont want to pirate) will let you repeat a part of the song/exercise and you can adjust the tempo so that it is comfortable. You can also set it to gradually increase speed, pretty cool. Why not start learning Technical Difficulties (from GuitarPro) right now? Put it to half speed to start with and build it up slowly. Over weeks, months or even years if need be, but keep at it and it will become much easier with practice.
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do