Some of you know that my old Blackheart Little Giant blew out on me in February (completely my fault) and I've been on the amp hunt ever since. I finally figured out what I wanted, and it is currently en route to Texas with my family. I'll give you guys a few clues to chew on while we all wait for it to arrive:

1. British sound
2. Pretty much everyone ever has used one

I think that narrows it down pretty well, don't you?

Pics and review and other such things to come!

EDIT WITH PR0NZ

Lots of guesses of a JCM800, which is a good guess given the clues I gave. Very surprised that no one guessed Orange anything though. Both would have been wrong

I'm now the proud owner of a Vox AC30!

With Cassie, my '72 Tele Deluxe re-issue (purple/magenta panel on the C2 model is sexy, no?)

And again, with Cassie. This one really brings out the lack of space in my room

I've been looking for a new amp since February, and have been pestering you GG&A regulars with amp questions constantly since then, so thanks for putting up with me! Anyways, on to the review

Overview
This AC30 is part of the most recent run of AC30 amps, the Custom (C) line, which recently replaced the Custom Classic (CC) line of AC amps. There are quite a few differences between the two. The CCs were full tube amps, with a GZ34 tube rectifier section. They came in a birch ply cabinet, but had serious design flaws as far as general maintenance, most prominently tube replacement, was concerned. They also came with the absolutely atrocious Wharfdale speakers. The Classic line replaced the tube rectifier section with solid state (which isn't necessarily a bad thing. GZ34 tubes are in short supply, and the supply that is available isn't of the highest quality), and the cabinet is now MDF. Fortunately, the layout of the amp is much more user-friendly when it comes time to service it, and those horrible Wharfdales have been replaced with Celestion Greenbacks, which are coincidentally some of my favorite speakers. As far as I'm concerned, the Custom line sounds leaps and bounds better than the CC line.

Features
Fairly standard AC30 setup. Two channel amp with separate, non-footswitchable inputs. Normal channel is nothing more than a volume knob, with tone tweaking done in the master section with the tone cut knob. Top boost channel features treble and bass controls, both of which effect the amount of mids in the channel's mix, and has a bit more bite than the normal channel. Has on-board reverb and tremolo, which can be controlled by a separately purchased footswitch. Both sound good to my ears, but I'm not a trem or reverb aficionado. Master section has a master volume and tone cut. Also has an effects loop, something I'm not sure I'll ever use. Very basic, bare bones amp for the most part.

Sound
I think this is what a choir of angels would sound like. Has just enough gain on tap to get a good, crunchy rock tone out of (think Zeppelin, Queen, and 90s alternative), and can easily be pushed to get a little bit more with an OD or distortion. Chords sound thick and full, and riffs/lead lines ring out just right. Clean, it has the Vox chime that U2 has built an empire off of. Very touch-sensitive amp, can go from a gentle sounding clean sound to a snarly overdrive just by controlling your picking. In other words, it sounds like an AC30.

Other
This amp feels EXTREMELY solid, and looks almost as good as it sounds. I'm extremely happy with this baby, and plan to keep it around for a long, long time. I'll give it an 8/10, just for a few of the cost-cutting options and because I know there are better things around. Absolutely fantastic.

Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Last edited by Natrone at Oct 21, 2011,
JCM800. But you can't make a pre-NGD thread. This has a good chance of getting closed.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
AC30?

It can stay open, I assume pics/reviews/etc. are forthcoming. It's no worse than the 'picture of the shipping box, wonder what it is' convention.
Guess you're right. After all, you are one of the resident mods (read: ninjas).
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Thanks Roc!

I wasn't sure if this was going to fly with you guys or not. At some point today, pics and such will come. It's going to be a pretty busy day though, so don't be surprised if they don't show up until later tonight. I'm just WAY too excited about it and felt the sudden urge to share my excitement with you guys
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Marshall mini stack?
What?! There's a clean channel on my amp?!

Quote by GoodOl'trashbag
omfg i totally forgot about that, you sir are jesus christ.
Quote by Roc8995
No, too modern. Definitely the MG100CD.

Haha you just made my day

Its deff a JCM 800. possibly even a combo.
Ac30
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
plexi

I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Oct 21, 2011,
Quote by gregs1020
plexi

lulzstack [is that still a thing?] and sigged for you Gregs!
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray

It has arrived.
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
I don't know, is it?
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Rest assured, there is no Valvetronix crap happening here.

Instead, I've got myself a Vox AC30C2!
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Quote by Natrone
Rest assured, there is no Valvetronix crap happening here.

Instead, I've got myself a Vox AC30C2!

Nice catch
And I havent played through one any real AC in fact. Dry market in India.
Last edited by GS LEAD 5 at Oct 21, 2011,
Lovely. Now do a review or post some clips or risk having the thread closed.

Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Great amp, mate! Definitely one of my favourites. My only gripe with it is the lack of foot switchability, but that can easily be rectified by a Morley ABY. I'm hoping to work up money for my own AC30 over the course of 2012, too.
West Ham United