I bought it because my Line 6 30w Spider (first amp ever bought) is pretty crappy and I wanted those magical tones only a tube amp can deliver.

After doing my research and a lot of playing at GC I picked up a 40w Fender Blues delux. Over all Ive been thrilled. Im not good enough to gig yet, but Im getting there, and this thing could EASILY play any bar sized venue. Im willing to bet it would be more than adequate for a school sized auditorium. The thing can really crank. I love everything about the amp except one thing... its just too loud. When I jam w/ friends and a drummer I have it on 2-2.5. Go up to 3 and Im drowning everyone out. At 4 windows and dishes in my house shake. At 4.5 you can feel the sounding shaking your internal organs if you stand in front. 5 is the loudest I have ever played and that was purely an experiment and it was insanely loud. Like jet engine loud.

Turning it down isnt a problem except one obvious problem. The more juice the more the tubes drive the tone. The louder the amp the better the tone. Once you drop down below the tone gets very weak and thin.

Is there a way to drive the tubes but keep the speaker volume at a reasonable practice level?

Anyone else have this problem?

Fixable or not Im still in love with this amp. I drag it to my buddies all the time. Ive played it a ton since I got it last xmas. Its been durable and just sounds amazing. I play a Gibson studio LP and 1990 Fender stat American standard. Both sound amazing. I use an overdrive pedal for the LP, but nothing for the Strat. Its got a dirty channel and footswitch and its pretty much all you need unless your a big effects guy.

This is the one:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-Blues-Deluxe-Reissue-40W-1x12--Combo-Amp-103231874-i1145956.gc#
he of tranquil mind
There are 2 volume controls on that amp.. One "Volume" and one "Master"... Turn the "Master" all the way down to 0 and the "Volume" all the way up... Then turn the "Master" up slowly until you get the volume level that you want... It should be pretty dirty then even at low volumes. Play with the settings.. turn the "Volume" down to clean up the sound, and the "Master" up to increase the loudness. the trick is to overdrive the amplifier tubes with the preamp. Not overdrive the speaker

Hope this helps
Tell them to buy tube amps and the drummer to hit the skins harder.

Ooooorrrrr...volume knob. Tube amps are loud. Plain and simple.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Well. . A Hot plate would do what you need I believe
Jackson RR3 - BKP Painkiller/Warpig
Bugera 333XL 212
Pod Studio UX1
MXR Smart Gate
Hardwire CM-2
your drummer needs balls then if he cant get heard over a 40watt on low
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
Quote by Most_Triumphant
your drummer needs balls then if he cant get heard over a 40watt on low

Yeah, no kidding...but I can easily overpower my drummer with my volume on 3 with my 50 watt Valveking. I can overpower the 1000 watt PA system on 4
just turn it down. You don't need to have it up real loud unless you're playing out and need the volume or you're recording. Just deal with it. Last year i had my 80w traynor custom valve in a college dorm room, this year my 50w valveking. i can't get them loud at all, but i still get good tones
I'm a dude, he's a dude, she's a dude, we're all dudes HEY!
Turn it down?

Get a drummer with arms?
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by tubetime86
Turn it down?

Get a drummer with arms?

Just imagined a man with no arms bashing his face into a drum set. And he has the biggest smile on his face. Also, he didn't have a shirt.

That last part concerns me...
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by LaidBack
Just imagined a man with no arms bashing his face into a drum set. And he has the biggest smile on his face. Also, he didn't have a shirt.

That last part concerns me...

A buddy of mine in a local band hurt his finger pretty bad at work and had to play a whole set with just his right arm. People were screaming 'def leppard' through the whole set.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
ethan_hanus, pretty much. But a real-life portrayal.

Dan, that's pretty funny. Last week at band practice my drummer hurt himself mid-song and he did the same thing. I told him we should cover "Pour Some Sugar on Me".
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
just turn it down dude

If you have the master and volume, just turn the master up to like half, and then just turn the regular volume up slowly until it's at a decent volume.
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
Well an attenuator would help to some degree but a lot of what people mistake for "tube tone" is actually the speaker pushing air, which is something that only happens with volume.

There are lots of solutions. You can turn it to face a wall or put something like plexiglass in front of the speakers. You can stick it in a closet with a mic and block it with blankets and then just run it through your monitors.
Stop using a spider monkey as a drummer. Problem solved.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
yeah turn it down

hey anybody use those new speakers with built in attenuators?

and yeah a 30 watt solid state and a 40 watt tube are worlds apart. tube watts is way different than solid state watts. im not going to get into that arguement, but real life perceptions, there is a huge difference.
Quote by ikey_
yeah turn it down

hey anybody use those new speakers with built in attenuators?

and yeah a 30 watt solid state and a 40 watt tube are worlds apart. tube watts is way different than solid state watts. im not going to get into that arguement, but real life perceptions, there is a huge difference.

It's not just perceptions. The power rating is what is calculated before clipping. You can run a tube amp way past clipping and it still sounds good. The power rating written on the amp doesn't reflect how may watts it actually pushes in the real world.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
lakalaka hi lakalaka low

use volume knobs before they go
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
well yes, but this solid state vs tube debate has started endless threads, so i am brief with it.
put a wanted to trade ad on craigslist and trade it for a blues jr.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.