Hi, I'm looking to buy an amp for my girlfriend obviously. My budget is around $300-$400 or so. Buying new is a must (I don't want hear your arguments, I already know the pros to buying used but this a gift). She is into a lot of indie pop/rock/folk music like Neutral Milk Hotel, Bright Eyes, The Music Tapes, Death Cab for Cutie, etc. so a good clean tone is a must and a decent lightly overdriven sound would be nice as well. Volume isn't an issue, it doesn't have to be loud. Effects aren't an issue either though at least some reverb would be nice. Thanks!
Bugera V22 is a nice sounding amp and only $350.
It will do all of those sounds well.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Bugera V22 is a nice sounding amp and only $350.
It will do all of those sounds well.

or the V55, either one...

the Fender Frontman 2-12 is pretty good for a practice amp.. It's not tubes, but it still sounds pretty good...
Will she be using this for gigging? Jamming? Still learning? Etc...
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
get her an amp that makes sandwhiches
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
The amp that's in the kitchen if she knows what's best for her.

Uhh, I'm gonna second the Bugera V22. I got the pleasure to try one out and it had one of the nicest clean sounds I've heard in a long time.
Q: Favourite Pink Floyd song?
A: The one where they get wicked high and play Emin and A for an hour.
Just buy her an oven. It'll be cheaper and work out better in the long run! haha

In all seriousness though, how longs she been playing?
Gear:-
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall DSL50 (In the process of modding!)
Fender 2x12 Deville
Marshall 1960 (V30's)
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson SG Special
Fender 'Marcus Miller' Jazz Bass

My Band
Juturna

Quote by Jaredmkl
I liked the 5150 and the Mesa. THe Krank could've been Eq'd better, and I really disliked both VHT's.

Wut?
My Gear:
BC Rich Gunslinger Retro Blade
Vintage V100 Paradise + SD Alnico Pro Slash APH-2's
1963 Burns Short Scale Jazz Guitar
Dean Performer Florentine
Bugera 6260
Orange Micro Terror + cab
Digitech Bad Monkey
Zoom G2G
lulz at responses... she's still learning to play....she doesn't need an amp that makes sandwiches, she makes sandwiches...Obviously is a common name in her country... and I've had bad experiences with bugera amps
Get her a Vox VT+ or a Peavey Vyper. Great starter amps. Lots of tones to be had as well.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by Born Headless
Obviously is a common name in her country...

Sorry man, I couldn't help it

What bad experiences have you had with Bugera?
Will she gig, where are you buying, and does she want tubes? If she's gigging and she wants tubes, I'd say http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/fender-hot-rod-series-blues-junior-iii-15w-1x12-tube-guitar-combo-amp/h12886000001000 . Good quality tube amps for relatively cheap. Also, you're a sensible man for avoiding bugera like the plague.
Quote by Cracked.com
Then they torched an Apple Store and made a PowerPoint about their experiences.
I'd recommend some kind of Vox, maybe the AC15, but you might have trouble finding it for $400, I got mine for around $500.
Vox VT 30/50 are pretty good amps for indie music. the Bugera V22 is also good
Gear:

Gibson 2005 Les Paul Standard
Fender Road Worn Strat w/ Noiseless pickups
Marshall JCM 2000 401C
Marshall Vintage Modern 2266
Marshall 1960A cab (Dave Hill from Slade's old cab)
Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Little Big Muff
Freshman Acoustic
a lunchbox size amp, because you know, women make lunch
Quote by Robchappers
Ha ha love you to dude ;-)

Quote by fearofthemark
10/10 Slater is amazing

Fender Deluxe Roadhouse Strat
Ibanez RG4EXFM1
Washburn D46S
Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah
Fulltone OCD Overdrive
Boss SD-1 Overdrive
MXR M-148 Micro Chorus
Jet City JCA2112RC 20W
How about something in the Roland Cube Series? Loads of amp models and effects to meddle with. I've got the 40X and I'm pretty pleased with it.
Quote by mielieHobo
How about something in the Roland Cube Series? Loads of amp models and effects to meddle with. I've got the 40X and I'm pretty pleased with it.

I second this, a bit. What about the Microcube? Awesome wee amp, I learned for a year on one and I still use it when I go to lessons. Pretty versatile, and it's like <$100, so there's money left over for a nice sandwich maker. (couldn't resist :p
My stuff

Gibson Les Paul Studio
Ibanez ADC120
Tanglewood TGRF VS
Blackstar HT20
Roland Micro Cube
Jet City JCA2112 combo maybe a diecent alternative, but Im not sure about its cleans.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
vht ultra 6 tube combo

vox vt80 hybrid combo
Mr. Zachary Vex on the fuzz probe: "Congratulations. You must be insane. Even I don't get how to use this pedal".
How long's she been your girlfriend?
Various Strats
Polytone Mini Brute
Koch Studiotone XL
Swart STR Tweed
Quilter 101 Reverb and Mini
1958 National lap steel
Eastman El Rey 1
im gonna go with the class 5 and also a +1 to the bugera
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
RIP Gooze

cats
tweaker or 'lil night train are both awesome amps. the vox would not be as good since it's only 2W you won't have much headroom. No headroom means no cleans when you turn it up. I haven't played a tweaker personally, but I saw a band that used one... The thing has an incredible sounding crunch when you turn it up. Both amps are single channel with no effects, just straight up tone. To get cleans you have to use the volume knob.

If that's not her thing, then I'd say go with a modeller like the vypyr or cube. Still sounds good for practice, has a lot of effects to play with and they won't break the bank.

The AC15 is also a good suggestion for that kind of music. Just played one at GC the other day and it sounded pretty good. I'm not trading in the Mesa for one, but it's a great sounding amp.

Yeah, pretty much everything GS_Lead linked would work... well done sir.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes