Hi everyone,

I've been playing guitar for 4 years and my dad has said I can get a new one ( and an amp ) but I have no idea what to get! Please can someone advise me as I seem to be the only guitarist in my year who has an electric and no one else knows.

All help would be apprechiated!

Thanks ( Sorry if this is in the wrong place, first post on UG)
Welcome

We're going to need to know your budget, location as well as what kind of music/sound you're looking to play
I live in Scotland, I play rock (all of it really, Linkin Park,MCR, Green Day, Muse ect..) The budgets around £500 for the guitar and £250 for the amp
Squier Classic Vibe or maybe a Epi Les Paul (idk how much they are over there.)
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
You should really spend at least half of your budget on the amp, as it really is the core of your tone.
Quote by ethan_hanus
Buy a Squier Classic Vibe Strat, and a Valveking, problem solved.

This
Though I would say more along the lines of these 2
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/squier-vintage-modified-stratocaster-hss-electric-guitar
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/epiphone-les-paul-standard-plain-top-electric-guitar
Thanks for all your replies, but I probably should have mentioned I have a Strat already, but thats cool.
Quote by AssassinBoyyo

Linkin Park
MCR
Green Day
Muse

Love those bands too! I'd say go for an Epi LP or a a used gibby studio or sg. Try them out first and before anyone mentions that the studios are overpriced, they are better than the epiphones. Well, except maybe the ultras. Get a good tube amp. Maybe a blackstar ht-1 or 5 or a used jet city?

Brad and Mike (from linkin park) use PRS guitars and sometimes strats, MCR uses sgs or lps, armstrong uses lp, muse uses teles? I think. Your best bet is to go for something with humbuckers especially since you have a strat. And a good OD pedal to boost for some of the green day and linkin park dirtier stuff.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Last edited by JKHC at Oct 21, 2011,
Thanks everyone! I found a Epiphone Les Paul Classic for £360. Does anyone know if its good? (If it is then my amp budget just went to £400)
Quote by AssassinBoyyo
Thanks everyone! I found a Epiphone Les Paul Classic for £360. Does anyone know if its good? (If it is then my amp budget just went to £400)

If you look carefully on the video for I'm Not Okay by MCR, you'll see Ray Toro is playing an Epiphone Les Paul. Look at the headstock during the solo, I think. That guitar will do fine.
Back from the dead.

New Problem. My dads said my guitar can't be more than £250 MAX!!
Now I really need help

Rig: Epiphone Les Paul E-Club Standard
Vox VT40+
look at Vintage guitars, as good as Epiphone, but cheaper where your at.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Will he let you go used?

And do you have a brand/shape/neck profile preference?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Yeah he's fine with second hand =) And I prefer les pauls

Rig: Epiphone Les Paul E-Club Standard
Vox VT40+
You might want to consider this, made in China like, but I'd generally take a Tokai over an Epiphone at any given price point.