Okay, so I understand and have learnt chromatic and diatonic scales and their systems and I know how to play in every key using Major and Minor pentatonics (and I am slowly becoming better at playing more competently).

So far, pentatonics have been my favourite scale to use when making music... But it really only gives a bluesy lead sound, which, don't get me wrong, I love. But we also make acoustic and folk music too. I was wondering what I should learn if I want to be able to play a more acoustic folk sound on lead guitar. Any special sort of scales/fretboard shapes that fit with this style of play?

Thank you.

DrOctv
major scale would be definitely a good idea and then at least one of the minor scales. Natural minor could be a good place to start. You can also try out the melodic and harmonic minor and see which one of them fits the best to the feel you're trying to express.
Quote by KorYi
major scale would be definitely a good idea and then at least one of the minor scales. Natural minor could be a good place to start. You can also try out the melodic and harmonic minor and see which one of them fits the best to the feel you're trying to express.

Isn't the major scale just the diatonic scale system with the use of one key?
Plus, the major scale alone doesn't sound very good in general with chord progressions. Maybe it's just my taste.

What is the melodic and harmonic minor? I've heard of harmonic major and minor scales before; what is the difference between the harmonic scale and the ordinary scale?

Thank you.

DrOctv
yes it is (i think)

given that you know major scale then, this should help you construct the minor scales ^^
Natural minor:
1 2 ♭3 4 5 ♭6 ♭7

melodic minor:
1 2 ♭3 4 5 ♭6 7

harmonic minor:
1 2 ♭3 4 5 6 7
I apologise for my previous pessimism, haha, I just messed around with the C major scale over a C acoustic chord progression and it sounded pretty good. I suppose I just need to work on it a bit more with different techniques and squeeze more creativity out of it. After I've fully mastered the pentatonics, I'll work on Major and Natural Minor scales and then move on to Melodic and Harmonic scales.

Thank you very much for the help.

DrOctv
Oh, and by the way, if anyone has any other suggestions. Please share. I need all the know-how possible.

DrOctv
Last edited by Doctor Octave at Oct 21, 2011,