I've recently started playing Black and White again.
I wanted to play through it with abit of completionism so I looked through a guide (Specifically this, and this).

I realised, after reading abit of the guide, that the AI for this game is very well constructed.

So, does anybody here know any games that have very impressive AI? This applies for any genre of game.
The AI doesn't even have to be impressive, you could just post a funny story of 'Artificial Unintelligence'.

EDIT: I'm on about Black & White, the Lionhead Studios' game.
Breakfast, Breakfast, it's great for us
We eat, we eat, we eat
That frozen meat
Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy, it can't be beat
Last edited by Crazyedd123 at Oct 21, 2011,
F1 2011.

I actually have to try sometimes

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Wow, I didn't even consider AI for driving games, but now that I think about it, there are some games where the drivers react to things realistically.

I can't remember which game it was but, if you tailgated a car really closely at high speeds, the driver would get nervous and spin out
We eat, we eat, we eat
That frozen meat
really old game alert:

i find the AI in twisted metal 2 to be impressive simply because even though it's the most ridiculously stupid AI you've ever seen, it makes the game hilarious

i guess that fits into the "artificial unintelligence".

the game is like a deathmatch type thing with a load of cars with missile launchers and stuff. the AI cars are particularly stupid, sometimes they just park in the middle of a random spot on the map and don't move until you wake them up with a homing missile or something, or sometimes they just sit there and let you destroy them.

i think the funniest glitch in the AI is in the co-op mode on the new york rooftop level, where one building you can drive inside on single player is closed off due to CPU restrictions, but the AI vehicles still try to drive in there, and at best, get stuck driving against the wall for ages, and at worst, try to crash through the window from another rooftop and just bounce off it and fall off the edge and die. once i was playing on co-op mode and every single AI vehicle on that level did that within about 30 seconds
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Last edited by Blompcube at Oct 21, 2011,
FIFA on the harder difficulties, some of those plays are impressively brilliant.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Are you talking about Pokemon?

Also, Tekken 4 or 5 on hard mode.
Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise
Star Wars: Republic Commando deserves a mention.

Not only is this one of the few FPS' where your squad AI's don't run in front of your line of fire(They actually make a conscious effort to avoid friendly fire), but it's actually good AI - when you're down and need one of the others to revive you, you don't feel like "oh shit, I'm down, we're screwed" unless one or two of the others already were, you can actually rely on the AI to get things done in an intelligent fashion. They're not just bullet shields. It's especially impressive given this came out in 2005, and it's still some of the best squad AI I've seen(Bioware, please, take lessons from this for ME3. I'm tired of Garrus shoving his face in front of my scope)
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
Last edited by necrosis1193 at Oct 21, 2011,
Creepers in Minecraft make an effort to stay out of sight as long as possible, and to only attack from behind or to your sides. They also circle strafe you.

Oh, and zombie pigmen make an effort to get inside caves so that ghasts don't kill them.
Black Ops Combat Training on whatever the highest difficulty was. The enemies are know where you are at all times, so it's not really good AI, but it's funny as hell to play with a rage gamer.
you're a stone fox
Forza 4. It's both brilliant because it reacts so well, has cloe racing and what not, but some of the AI drivers are hilariously agressive. "Brake for a corner? Pah! I'll use TEK34's car as a barrier and use him to turn!".
first half-life had very advanced AI for it's time ^^ although most of it was pre-scripted
The worst AI i've ever come across are the infamous cops in the Driver games
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Quote by 100%guitarmad

I used to have this game! When I was like 7 years old!
language
jazyk
kieli
язык
العربية

My Tumblr: Lots of artist recommendations, album reviews, and ideas about music (as well as some film and bike stuff).

Go Sharks! Go Wings! Go Flyers! Go Kings!
i forget which racing game it was but me and my freind put like 8 ai on motorcycles and we bot got the longest cars and parked them to block the street

the ai just stopped parked there in front of us not moving for like 5 minutes
then they started moving back and forth i guess to look for a way to pass or something
and after like 8 minutes they started ramming out cars one at a time

then they went to one side of my car and pushed it in order to move it
and theygot through

i was impressed
Quote by TEK34
Forza 4. It's both brilliant because it reacts so well, has cloe racing and what not, but some of the AI drivers are hilariously agressive. "Brake for a corner? Pah! I'll use TEK34's car as a barrier and use him to turn!".

Meh, I found FM4's AI to not be that much of a challenge. That's why I strictly play the game online.
NOT EASILY LED, EASILY BANNED.
Just thought I'd mention the Fire Emblem games, as well.

They're already not a cakewalk(The whole "Dead units are dead forever" thing definitely cranks the difficulty up), but when you put the AI on its higher levels, it's a cunning, manipulative, sacrificial bastard, because Nintendo knows 90% of players are going to restart the minute a single unit dies. It can take casualties, but you can't take just one. And it knows it. It'll bait you in, then sacrifice its entire army to kill the one guy who's invincible when he's not fighting the entire enemy at once you sent in because hey, nothing can kill him.

Last edited by necrosis1193 at Oct 21, 2011,
Quote by necrosis1193

Not only is this one of the few FPS' where your squad AI's don't run in front of your line of fire(They actually make a conscious effort to avoid friendly fire), but it's actually good AI - when you're down and need one of the others to revive you, you don't feel like "oh shit, I'm down, we're screwed" unless one or two of the others already were, you can actually rely on the AI to get things done in an intelligent fashion. They're not just bullet shields. It's especially impressive given this came out in 2005, and it's still some of the best squad AI I've seen(Bioware, please, take lessons from this for ME3. I'm tired of Garrus shoving his face in front of my scope)

This. I find it funny how they nailed it in this game 6 years ago, yet squad AI in most games is still hilariously buggy.

Oddly enough, Alan Wake had some very impressive enemy AI. If you're not careful, they'll always sneak up behind you while you're focused on killing another enemy. More so on the hardest difficulty.

Also kind of off topic, but in games with multiple difficulty levels, don't you just hate it when game developers just give every enemy butt-loads of health and triple damage or something rather than make them smarter? It always feels so much better to out smart a really good AI rather than just pump four times as many bullets into them.
Quote by MakinLattes
I'd kill you and wear your skin.
Quote by Siv During Livh
To attempt to have intercourse with a hornet's nest is a very bad idea,

Voted UG's worst cross dresser.
Also voted #95 on UG's Top 100 2013. Like it means anything....
Quote by TEK34

Coincedently ive just got off forza and yeh i agree the AI scare me sometimes, they'll leave it late and dive up the inside, feint one side of you then dive up to other and sometimes just ram you out of the way, i ve even been rammed of on the starting grid by people deliberately veering into me lol. They also make mistakes themselves and crash, skid off etc, its bloody hard sometimes and im playing it on normal lol
My Gear:
BC Rich Gunslinger Retro Blade
Vintage V100 Paradise + SD Alnico Pro Slash APH-2's
1963 Burns Short Scale Jazz Guitar
Dean Performer Florentine
Bugera 6260
Orange Micro Terror + cab
Digitech Bad Monkey
Zoom G2G
Quote by Trowzaa
FIFA on the harder difficulties, some of those plays are impressively brilliant.

You're kidding. I came in here to post FIFA sarcastically. You don't know how many sweaty goals I've just scored in the past hour on legendary. FIFA AI sucks.
AI always ends up pissing me off. The worst I've come across so far is the fire team you get landed with on Flashpoint: Dragon Rising. Infamous for being terrible AI.
Killzone 2 and 3. The enemies can get into cover, peak around corners and act just like you.
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!
Quote by muffinduck01
Also kind of off topic, but in games with multiple difficulty levels, don't you just hate it when game developers just give every enemy butt-loads of health and triple damage or something rather than make them smarter? It always feels so much better to out smart a really good AI rather than just pump four times as many bullets into them.

I feel ya, man.
We eat, we eat, we eat
That frozen meat
Resistance. If they have you pinned down the enemy AI won't just let you pick them off until you're in the clear; you will have find new cover safely if you want to live. I also like how units offering supporting fire will run up and replace their fallen primary squad members to prevent you from taking a strategic point or choke point instead of just hanging back and waiting for you to come to them. Just great squad tactics in general... for the enemy, YOU'RE squadmates are still basically useless and you're mostly fighting the entire war by yourself.
Quote by muffinduck01

Quote by KeepOnRotting
I was pretty impressed with the AI in Halo Reach and Mass Effect 2.

wat

I'm not going to say it was bad, because it was definitely better than ME1, and not as bad as other recent games. But I still had plenty of occasions where my allies decided they'd help me aim by lining up between me and my target if I didn't command them. Now that said, it's a definite step up, but it still needs some work.

I always found the AI in the original pacman to be quite impressive. Ghosts know how to coordinate
ggg1 ggg3

Quote by KeepOnRotting
I was pretty impressed with the AI in Halo Reach and Mass Effect 2.

All of the Halo games had at least above-average AI for their time.

Dirge mentioned minecraft, and this is absolutely coincidental, but I have a boat-garage in my current house on the server. The other day I noticed my boat had mysteriously floated out into the swamp river. Sometimes that happens and sometimes my fellow Reimerians feel a bit trolly, so I went down to put it back in the garage, and when I did I found a zombie, which I dispatched. I continued taking damage and had no idea why. Fled for my life and escaped with half a heart left. Upon returning I found, tada! Skeleton was hiding in the front corner, where I would have had to stop fighting the zombler and turn all the way around to see him. So here was their plan:

1. push boat out to get attention
2. zombie is decoy
3. skelly hides and starts shooting me while I fight the zombie

That's some kind of advanced planning

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

The FEAR series. The enemies respond to how you're shooting them and they actually take cover and try flanking you and shit, it's almost like you're playing online.
pinga
Quote by Godsmack_IV
Resistance. If they have you pinned down the enemy AI won't just let you pick them off until you're in the clear; you will have find new cover safely if you want to live. I also like how units offering supporting fire will run up and replace their fallen primary squad members to prevent you from taking a strategic point or choke point instead of just hanging back and waiting for you to come to them. Just great squad tactics in general... for the enemy, YOU'RE squadmates are still basically useless and you're mostly fighting the entire war by yourself.

Ye, I remember that, they were sly little mofos
We eat, we eat, we eat
That frozen meat
Quote by necrosis1193

This. It's still one of my favorite games.

Aside from Republic Commando, I'd say S.T.A.L.K.E.R. has pretty cool AI. I just found it pretty interesting that they would actively seek out enemy squads, and in Clear Sky in the Cordon section the military AI will try to lure you into a trap. They make good use of cover and will flank you too, the game is horrendously hard on high difficulties
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow of Chernobyl. And I suppose the two games following that would have had just as good if not better AI. The human enemies like to sneak around buildings and come up behind you and scare the shit out of you. Another thing I like is the enemies don't automatically follow you, they look for you in the last place that they saw you.

EDIT: ^That guy knows what I'm talking about.

Fender Telecaster w/ GFS Lil' Killer
Jet City Pico Valve

Quote by Chaos-Serenade

The fretboard is dry because it is more than likely made in China.

I wonder how he came to this conclusion.
Lyrics
Inside the back
Walk with me
Reign, Rain

Call me Drew
Quote by SteveHouse
minecraft

I'm hoping the AI for the dragon is very good. The animations and flying are very smooth and look great. I haven't played around with it though.
Quote by UntilISleep
You have excellent taste in literature, dear sir

Quote by Primus2112
You have excellent taste in video games, good sir.

Quote by GbAdimDb5m7
You have terrible taste in signatures, idiotic sir.

kkoo
Starcraft 2.

If I'm playing against very hard ai, and I try to play too greedy, they'll rush me. If I go big early, they will defend and expand.

Pretty sweet for such a complicated game.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.
SC2 AI is good in that it goes for an all round build instead of just one and rolling with that, means it can sort of counter you a little. It'd be a bit harder if it gated too.
Batman: Arkham Asylum. The way you could create fear in the AI and then they'd split up and the more frightened they get the easier to take out they'd be. That was pretty brilliant.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Dead space 2. I've been doing zealot difficulty all of today.
Current Stage Gear
Ibanez 1987 RG550 Road Flare Red(66th one ever made)
HD500 Pedal
Bugera Vintage 22

Quote by metaldood91
Hi. Can someone tell me which guitars are real 24 fret guitars and which are just 22 fret guitars with 2 extra frets added on?