Hey guys. I just got an acoustic electric for my birthday, but my dad thought it was just a normal acoustic. I have heard you can run an acoustic through a normal amp, but is it safe to do? Because I dont have the money for an amp for the acoustic. So what can I do? I perform a couple times a year. So what should I do? Thanks!
Quote by sgmoto
Hey guys. I just got an acoustic electric for my birthday, but my dad thought it was just a normal acoustic. I have heard you can run an acoustic through a normal amp, but is it safe to do? Because I dont have the money for an amp for the acoustic. So what can I do? I perform a couple times a year. So what should I do? Thanks!

This might be better answered in the electric guitar thread, but here goes:
You can run it through a regular amp, you'll just have horrible feedback.
Understand nothing, in order to learn everything.

Quote by liampje
I can write a coherent tune ... But 3/4? I play rock, not polka.
Quote by sgmoto

You can but it sounds like shit. You're best best is to run it directly into the PA
Quote by sgmoto
I hate to dispute what my esteemed colleagues have said, but.... They're correct, but only to a point.

Feedback can be controlled with sound hole inserts, and some A/E guitars have feedback suppression built into their preamps.

However, the high gain or "dirty" channel, will be of little or no use to you.

It also depends on the brand of the electric guitar amp you plan on using. For example, a Fender Twin Reverb, would likely sound amazing. (You have to start liking clean sound to really be able to access acoustic guitar). I use the Twin Reverb model on a small Peavey modeler, and it's a favorite with acoustic for me

You would have to do some careful stage layout to use a direct amped acoustic on a gig. But, at home, I almost never play my acoustics without some sort of SMALL amp. Chorus, reverb, and delay, all work very well with acoustic guitars, whether in a modeling amp or stompboxes. (What I use, I'm old fashioned).

Dedicated acoustic guitar amps are closer to the design philosophy of PA systems, than they are to electric guitar amps. The high frequency response is extended, and overall distortion numbers are, (or should be), much lower. That notwithstanding, you can stand some dirt in the signal with an acoustic, and too much high end gets a bit tiring. Just don't expect to be able to produce the ear splitting volumes you can with your electric, and you'll do fine.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Feb 1, 2014,
As long as it's an acoustic electric with a working plug-in don't worry, you won't have the greatest sound but you're fine.
The best options are:

1.Play straight into a PA.

2. Buy an acoustic guitar amp.

You can use electric guitar amps, and the clean channel is fine. The main issue is that it won't really sound like an acoustic guitar.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
If your guitar has a little dial labeled "Notch", it can be used to notch out feedback. As others have said, it's not going to be GREAT.

Personally?

I hook up my Acoustic-Electric through my mixer/preamp to my computer and play through my monitors.

If you have a decent sound system, maybe look into a cheap preamp and do it that way?

Just an option.
Quote by johnturner9
...[ ]...If you have a decent sound system, maybe look into a cheap preamp and do it that way?.. ]...
Most A/E guitar' preamps will drive a 1/4" line into a PA directly. You would only need a preamp for very long line runs.

In fact, my Ibanez (*), has XLR connectors to drive a mic or board input directly.

(*) I'm guessing many other brands' recent models, may have this feature as well.

Quote by AlanHB
...[ ]...You can use electric guitar amps, and the clean channel is fine. The main issue is that it won't really sound like an acoustic guitar.
As long as the guitar has an under saddle piezo pickup, it will still sound more like an acoustic than you might suspect.

You do need to use a clean channel, and, keep the pre-gain very low.

You don't really lose too much of the acoustic feel, until you start hanging one of those nasty sound hole humbuckers on it.

(You get a bunch of noise from the cords of those pickups too). Plus, the single coils are noisy, with no distortion to mask it.
I meant an audio interface* for the computer, DOH! That's my fault, hahah. It's 3 in the morning here, sorry!

As for PA systems, I have absolutely no experience with them, so I'm not sure what they'd require.
Quote by Captaincranky
As long as the guitar has an under saddle piezo pickup, it will still sound more like an acoustic than you might suspect.

Well, in the case of my guitars and amps, which have varying types of acoustic pickups, through my amps they sound a lot like a combination of an acoustic guitar and an electric guitar. I find that the sustain through the amp is choked, and the sound coloured. The colouring of the sound is kinda the point of an electric guitar amp - each has its own sound.

That said, acoustic guitars through bass amps sound great. I bought a Fender Rumble for that purpose.
Soundcloud
One Word.....well three really... "Sea sick Steve"

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=C3Iam7JELDM&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DC3Iam7JELDM

ingenuity is the key.....no you can't shred like metallica but with some warm tubes you can get a nice hum....feedback issues?....well then Google lut hole covers....and bingo your guitar just turned into a work of art too!!!
I believe in god, jesus and the holy ghost.....or as i call them Angus, Kirk and Lemmy
Last edited by Blackst4r at Feb 1, 2014,
Quote by AlanHB
Well, in the case of my guitars and amps, which have varying types of acoustic pickups, through my amps they sound a lot like a combination of an acoustic guitar and an electric guitar. I find that the sustain through the amp is choked, and the sound coloured. The colouring of the sound is kinda the point of an electric guitar amp - each has its own sound.
Firefox's spell checker isn't going to forgive all those "O-U-R", "flavourings", you guys give to words that are supposed to end in, "O-R" only...: (At least that's how we spell it here in the British colonies below Canada on the map. Lazy Americans, I know right)? No harm, no foul though, I misspelled, "Love's Labour's Lost", playing along with "Jeopardy" the other night. (FF didn't like "labour's" either).

I usually read these threads as, "this is what I have to use with this acoustic guitar, will it be OK"? Then answer based on that assumption. Since this guitar was accidentally received as a gift, not purchased by the TS, I"m also assuming there isn't a bunch of operating capital for equipment purchase in play.

So IMHO, better a response that highlights the best in what's available, rather than create despair.

Different electric amps color sound differently, which is why I mentioned the Fender Twin. It's clean, and used at times with pedal steel, and Teles, which aren't exactly grunge oriented. Although, I didn't / don't, expect TS to run right out this afternoon to buy one.

Quote by AlanHB
That said, acoustic guitars through bass amps sound great. I bought a Fender Rumble for that purpose.
Here's where taste comes into play, and it seems we agree that too much high end can be annoying. However, many acoustic guitar amps have tweeters in them. The operating theory being the average 12" guitar speaker doesn't go high enough to effectively reproduce the high end coloration of an acoustic. However, some people start bitching about, "piezo quack", when they get that high end..

And FWIW, Fender amps are usually endowed with a good amount of clean, bright headroom. Which is most likely why you like your "Rumble". Even models of Fender amps sound better with acoustics, than do other brands.
Quote by Captaincranky
Firefox's spell checker isn't going to forgive all those "O-U-R", "flavourings", you guys give to words that are supposed to end in, "O-R" only...: (At least that's how we spell it here in the British colonies below Canada on the map. Lazy Americans, I know right)? No harm, no foul though, I misspelled, "Love's Labour's Lost", playing along with "Jeopardy" the other night. (FF didn't like "labour's" either).

Correct, America does spell certain words ending with and "or" rather than the "our" employed by Australia, New Zealand and Britain.

I'm just not sure what this has to do with the thread.

And FWIW, Fender amps are usually endowed with a good amount of clean, bright headroom. Which is most likely why you like your "Rumble". Even models of Fender amps sound better with acoustics, than do other brands.

I think bass amps in general have a whole heap of headroom irrespective of the brand. My acoustics and my Fender Superchamp X2 are less buddy-buddy.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
Correct, America does spell certain words ending with and "or" rather than the "our" employed by Australia, New Zealand and Britain.

I'm just not sure what this has to do with the thread.
Granted, not a whole lot. But it is sort of comical the way it offends my, (Americanized), Firefox spellchecker. Wavy red lines under bunches of words. I sometimes spell out the o-u-r when posting with English-English speakers, out of respect, and Firefox be damned.

Quote by AlanHB
I think bass amps in general have a whole heap of headroom irrespective of the brand. My acoustics and my Fender Superchamp X2 are less buddy-buddy.
Well, you happen to have the one Fender tube amp without any headroom. That's why they are so popular, you can clip the shit out of them, without inflicting too much hearing damage on yourself. You would have far better results, (but not perfect, mind you), with a Deluxe or a Twin.

In any case, you're ascribing some attributes of of acoustic guitars, (perhaps failures (?)), to the amplifiers.

Acoustics don't really have the sustain of a solid body electric. In fact, the soundboard soaks the energy from the strings. The gain stages of high gain amps, regenerate some output back into the input of those stages, which contributes to what sort of amounts to, controlled, built in feedback. Using a clean channel therefore, will seem to,. "kill the amp's sustain", a perceived by someone who is used to having it on tap.

Part of a tube amp's sustain that wouldn't be too adversely affected by an acoustic, is because of the low damping factor provided by the transformer output. Transistors are hooked directly to the speaker, and have a much quicker clamping action on the cone after cessation of signal. It's why everybody hated, (and probably still do), transistor amps.

Les Paul couldn't find an "infinitely stiff and massive object", to mount his strings to, so he settled on 10+ pounds of maple and mahogany. Which, for all intents and purposes, gives about as much sustain as would the former.

But yeah, I can see where bass amps would need a great deal of headroom. Human hearing isn't "flat". Consequently, it takes about 30X the power, to produce a note @ 30Hz, that is perceived at the same volume @1000Hz, by the average human.
^^^ Let's just put that one to the side. I think we can at least agree that an acoustic through an electric is not the most desirable option.

What I think is a desirable option is to go straight into a PA, with a decent DI. I think a lot of people don't realise how much a crappy DI can ruin your tone. When I say crappy I mean those Behringer silver things that a lot of venues have, or no-name equivalents. The Art XPress DIs are OK but I've had two fail on me so I'm not a fan.

I am however a fan of the DBX DB12s for acoustics. I play in a band with two acoustic guitarists, and the other guitarist, who doesn't know that much about the tech side of sound, now insists that we take the DIs to every gig, which we do. It's quite amusing that the band has become such DI snobs.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
^^^ Let's just put that one to the side. I think we can at least agree that an acoustic through an electric is not the most desirable option.
Of course we can...

This thread has gone way too far afield, and I bear a great chunk of responsibility for it.

In any case, I still have the impression the TS just really wanted to know if he'd break anything be using an AE guitar, with an electric amp.

No, you won't! There I've said it.
Quote by AlanHB
I am however a fan of the DBX DB12s for acoustics. I play in a band with two acoustic guitarists, and the other guitarist, who doesn't know that much about the tech side of sound, now insists that we take the DIs to every gig, which we do. It's quite amusing that the band has become such DI snobs.
DI snobs huh? There's a lot of that going around. In fact, I think some of the dinosaur rock mega acts, are using modeling preamps, DI'ed to the PA, and pushing a couple of 100watt stacks out on the stage, just for show.

I ran into a great ad for this: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SSL2T in GP magazine. It made a great deal of sense to use one, (or more), of these as an acoustic amp(s) for the solo performer. I'll take two, I was about to say, when my revery was interrupted by the fact that I wouldn't be able to use, or have any need of, a 1600 watt stereo PA, in my humble row home...

(Then too, I wasn't sure if I had, "$2000.oo of 'clean headroom', on any of my credit cards, at least for the time being".... )
Last edited by Captaincranky at Feb 2, 2014,
^^^ Have you tried the AER amps? If I were to spend that much on an acoustic guitar amp I'd go for one of those.
Soundcloud