So I was talking with a luthier about a Kramer project I'm thinking of doing and we got on routing and OFRs... He said I could get flush mouth and recessed (obviously) but then he mentioned a top mounted (that could dive and pull up)... I watched a video from a guy at Dean's NAMM booth talk about them, but haven't heard much else...

So is this like a floating trem (up and down movement) but without digging into the wood as much to install? Does it have less/equal/more sustain than normal floating Floyds? And do I hae to buy or do anything different, like will a standard OFR work on it without having to buy anything more?

Thanks in advance guys
originally FR's were top mounted on Kramers and other guitars. they had only a bit of pull up which is why later the rear route was done. flush mounting helps with lower action and facilitates the rear route as well.
So if I get the top mounted rout instead of the recessed, what would the differences be?
Quote by IWasMaiden93
So if I get the top mounted rout instead of the recessed, what would the differences be?

Very little movement in pulling up (increasing pitch). Most top mounts are dive-only.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

Recess that shiz!
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
my wolfgang is dive only. its what i use mostly anyway, but i do have a full floating bridge too on a different guitar. they both have their uses.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
it's where it sits up at an angle on the guitar and has an angled neck pocket to compensate, if I'm thinking of the same thing he is.

they're a pain in the ass, go with flat mount or recessed.


that or it's the one where it's mounted like it would be if it were flat mount but a small bit of wood is routed out from underneath the bridge, in which case that's a pretty decent solution but you might as well just get full recessed if you want to go that route.
1978 Peavey T-40 -> Ampeg Micro-VR - > Ampeg SVT210AV + Ampeg SVT-15E
Last edited by CJ Noble at Oct 22, 2011,