Page 1 of 2
Can you be considered the best of the best in a sport if you have never won a championship in the sport?

There are a lot of great players in every sport that are considered top notch, but do they compare to other athletes that have won it all?

Inspired from hearing the tv in the other room...something to the effect of..."Until Lebron has won 6 championships, he doesn't come close to Jordan."
Yeah, they can.

He hasn't won a major tournament but a lot of people consider him to be up there.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Totally guessed this would be about little kids who think Lebron is better than Jordan.
R.I.P. M.C.A.
Tweet at me bro
lushacrous loves you
Quote by blake1221
Don't be ludicrous, lushacrous.
Quote by Gunpowder
that joke regarding your username was NOT originally posted by blake1221. That was a Gunpowder original.

I INVOKE SOPA TO SMITE YE FOR THIS FALSEHOOD.
"Until Lebron has won 6 championships, he doesn't come close to Jordan."

Lebron, like Jordan, is one person. Usually, in team sports, the team wins championships.

A player can be the best and never win anything.
Rex Grossman is considered the best QB of all time but he's never won a Super Bowl
It's just one of the issues that comes up in team sports.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Depends on the sport imo. The Lebron criticism is somewhat fair since a single player has such a tremendous impact on the success of the team, whereas it's ridiculous to make the same criticism of say, a football or baseball player since those sports are much more team oriented.
Quote by Waffleexplosion
Only in a vodka ad could Mexico win a war.
Sports are usually a team effort. It doesn't matter if you have the best player ever if the rest of the team sucks.
I think it's time for a change.

Sig v5.0 (approximate)
Hard to win championships if you aren't on a good team. Not every great player ends up getting the necessary support to have a successful team to play on.
Dan Marino was an incredible QB and a model teammate, he never won a super bowl.
Quote by BlackVoid
Every guitar and bass forum I've visited has some people chasing some magical tone that will shoot jizzing unicorns riding on a rainbow out of their amp.
Of course. Gilles Villeneuve and Stirling Moss are considered among the best, despite not winning F1 championships.
It's gonna be a blue day
Quote by devourke
A good team is infinitely better than 9 good players.

True story, case in point, the Manchester derby in 10 hours, United will destroy City due to their team mentality even though City have arguably equal players.

Phil Kessel is currently the best hockey player in the NHL, and thus the best hockey player in the world right now, but he hasn't won a championship.
Quote by Thrashtastic15
Phil Kessel is currently the best hockey player in the NHL, and thus the best hockey player in the world right now, but he hasn't won a championship.

Lol, this guy.

Just because Kessel has the most points doesn't mean he's the best hockey player in the league. Give it another two weeks and I guarantee you won't even be able to say that about him. Kessel is an above average forward, not an elite player.
Quote by RU Experienced?
Lol, this guy.

Just because Kessel has the most points doesn't mean he's the best hockey player in the league. Give it another two weeks and I guarantee you won't even be able to say that about him. Kessel is an above average forward, not an elite player.

Kessel is a guy who could score 50+ easily with the right supporting cast/right motivation. He's an incredibly young player who oozes talent. He can score 30 with ahl players on his line easily, that's saying something. He's continuing to drastically improve his game in all facets, he's become a 200 foot player who can be relied upon in your own defensive zone with the game on the line. He's a dynamic offensive player who can do it all by himself, but if you surrounded him with a few other elite players, would be simply unstoppable. He hasn't even come close to his prime yet, that's the terrifying thing.

Look what he's done so far with a pathetic crew of Bozak and Lupul. You're just mad that Phil Kessel is a better player than anyone on the Caps. He's the American Sidney Crosby, just without the tears.
Depends on how you rate "the best"?

Quote by Thrashtastic15
Kessel is a guy who could score 50+ easily with the right supporting cast/right motivation. He's an incredibly young player who oozes talent. He can score 30 with ahl players on his line easily, that's saying something. He's continuing to drastically improve his game in all facets, he's become a 200 foot player who can be relied upon in your own defensive zone with the game on the line. He's a dynamic offensive player who can do it all by himself, but if you surrounded him with a few other elite players, would be simply unstoppable. He hasn't even come close to his prime yet, that's the terrifying thing.

Look what he's done so far with a pathetic crew of Bozak and Lupul. You're just mad that Phil Kessel is a better player than anyone on the Caps. He's the American Sidney Crosby, just without the tears.

You run out of maple syrup or something?
Quote by Vornik
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to put it, along with your other advice, into a book, the pages of which I will then use to wipe my ass.
Quote by Thrashtastic15

He's off to a hot start, if he can sustain it I'd be very impressed. Honestly I haven't seen a Leafs game this season yet so I can't say for sure if he has improved as much as you say he has. With Bozak and Lupul on his line he's sort of forced into doing more, who's to say we wouldn't see a drop in offensive production if he's paired up with competent players

I'd still maintain that it's too early to say he's the best in the league, but I was admittedly being overly abrasive in my initial post. He's still young, so he may continue to improve, I hope for your sake that I will eat my words in the future.
Quote by RU Experienced?
He's off to a hot start, if he can sustain it I'd be very impressed. Honestly I haven't seen a Leafs game this season yet so I can't say for sure if he has improved as much as you say he has. With Bozak and Lupul on his line he's sort of forced into doing more, who's to say we wouldn't see a drop in offensive production if he's paired up with competent players

I'd still maintain that it's too early to say he's the best in the league, but I was admittedly being overly abrasive in my initial post. He's still young, so he may continue to improve, I hope for your sake that I will eat my words in the future.

You're already eating your words, Phil Kessel is, bar none, the best hockey player in the entire world right now.

As soon as Lupul got to Toronto Kessel started producing at over a ppg clip. It's obvious what he's producing at now. Kid is the real deal, he'll be scary once Colborne develops into a Canadian Sundin and Kadri puts everything together. Cup after Cup after Cup after Cup after Cup after Cup after Cup after Cup. Thank god I have so many different parade plans amassed.

I've already proven, through math, that Kessel will score at the very least 40 goals this year. As you've seen so far, math doesn't lie. Suck a **** OV dickrider
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COblVEDhIME&feature=related
Last edited by Thrashtastic15 at Oct 21, 2011,
Transcendence of self.
Encouragement of self sacrifice.
Assimilation of self into the collective goal
Make them pay for doubting your resolve.

There are no great individuals.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
I think winning a championship is more important in a retrospective, historical sense.
Quote by Thrashtastic15
You're already eating your words, Phil Kessel is, bar none, the best hockey player in the entire world right now.
You know as well as I do that players can go through streaks.

As soon as Lupul got to Toronto Kessel started producing at over a ppg clip. It's obvious what he's producing at now. Kid is the real deal, he'll be scary once Colborne develops into a Canadian Sundin and Kadri puts everything together. Cup after Cup after Cup after Cup after Cup after Cup after Cup after Cup. Thank god I have so many different parade plans amassed.

I've already proven, through math, that Kessel will score at the very least 40 goals this year. As you've seen so far, math doesn't lie. Suck a **** OV dickrider
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COblVEDhIME&feature=related

Let's start with baby steps and aim for a playoff berth first. Impressive job finishing top shelf with Butler breathing down his junk, but the stretch pass was pretty integral to that play too.
Kessel who? Everyone knows Bobby Silver Ryan is the best American hockey player playing now

Quote by FireHawk
Tell that to the Indianapolis Colts Nothing without Manning

Bad team?
I wish hockey was broadcast over here

To be fair Kessel was pretty great with the Bruins too.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish hockey was broadcast over here

I feel like trying to find somewhere that would stream it online, but I'd just feel weird watching sports on a computer. Something about it would be unnatural.
Quote by devourke
I feel like trying to find somewhere that would stream it online, but I'd just feel weird watching sports on a computer. Something about it would be unnatural.

Yeah, I don't do that every saturday afternoon cos I can't afford SkySports <.< That'd be weird.

Quote by oneblackened
To be fair Kessel was pretty great with the Bruins too.

Sure, but unless he keeps up this offensive production can you really say he was worth two first rounders and a second?
Quote by RU Experienced?
A PP one-timer and an assist against Winnipeg is the best you got?

No, but I'm trying to fap now so **** off.
Quote by darkcheef
Rex Grossman is considered the best QB of all time but he's never won a Super Bowl

Quote by darkcheef

Seriously? You've got to be joking.

Ryan Leaf was far and away a better qb.
Quote by me_llamo_juan
^You're awesome.

Quote by gtmustang2006
Listen to RageAgnstUrJaw.

"I've wronged you, and steal everything from the truth,
Can we find ourselves, walking through a field with no solitude,
The pain goes on."
Page 1 of 2