Hey guys. I just got an electric acoustic for my birthday, but my dad thought it was just a normal acoustic. I have heard you can run an acoustic through a normal amp, but is it safe to do? Because I dont have the money for an amp for the acoustic. So what can I do? I plan to use it for a performance but no money for a proper amp. So what should I do? Thanks!
It's fine, you won't hurt the amp. You need batteries, probably a 9volt for the onboard preamp.
Quote by Deathro
The amp should be fine. The difference between a regular amp and an acoustic amp is a set of tweeters. They pick up on the higher notes and produce an all around better sound.

Is there anything I can use to make the regular amp pick up the higher notes?
Quote by sgmoto
Is there anything I can use to make the regular amp pick up the higher notes?

it will pick them up fine.
Quote by Deathro
The amp should be fine. The difference between a regular amp and an acoustic amp is a set of tweeters. They pick up on the higher notes and produce an all around better sound.
Not entirely, there are several smaller acoustic amps around that don't come with tweeters.

A standard guitar amps today have pre and post gain settings to introduce distortion. So, as you know, sometimes you're listening to the coloration of the sound any given amp introduces, almost as much as the guitar.

Acoustic amps are set up more to provide a clean, uncolored signal path, so the sound you get, is the sound of the guitar itself. I've seen people play electrics through an acoustic amp so as to, "hear what the guitar sounds like, not the amp".

Electric amps work fine though, so long as you use the clean channel, and keep the pre gain setting low and clean also, to avoid over driving the preamp.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Oct 22, 2011,