how can a power chord have one string first off, and how do you know the name and the multiple string variation of the one string chord?
ESP LTD EC-1000 vintage black
sunburst fender MIM tele
Epiphone LP standard ebony
Mesa/boogie dual rectifier
Mesa/Boogie .50 caliber plus head
Marshall JCM900 Hi-gain MII 2500
Fender Hot rod Deluxe
it's technically a one finger chord, not a one string chord, so u get a fifth chord by barring the low 3 strings. you can make that 5th chord a minor chord by fretting the higher D string 3 frets up, or 4 for major, or just 2 for a sustained version. hope that helps
^that

its not a 1 string chord, its a 1 fret chord.

your barring the root note(E string), the 5th(A string), and the octave(D string).

it consists of the same notes that a normal power chord would in standard tuning.
The beauty of the dropped tuning power chords is that you can play them with one finger. Also, if you do the drones on the dropped string you can get some more ominous sounding melody lines.
Quote by rickyj
^that

its not a 1 string chord, its a 1 fret chord.

your barring the root note(E string), the 5th(A string), and the octave(D string).

it consists of the same notes that a normal power chord would in standard tuning.

The E string is the 1st string in Drop D tuning. The 6th string would be called the D string, making the power chord D A D.
E:-6
B:-0
G:-5
D:-6
A:-0
E:-3
Quote by NGguitarist
it's technically a one finger chord, not a one string chord, so u get a fifth chord by barring the low 3 strings. you can make that 5th chord a minor chord by fretting the higher D string 3 frets up, or 4 for major, or just 2 for a sustained version. hope that helps

This guys got it.

I haven't used drop D in sooooo long. I started getting into prog and jazz, and drop tunings aren't the best for those.
( one can argue " oooooh the tuning doesn't matter it's all what you play, but IMHO I think drop tunings suck.)

I used CADGBE (drop the lowest string down ANOTHER step from drop D and leave all the other strings at standard) quite a bit though. Awesome chord shapes.
I learned it from learning neon by John Mayer.
my 6 best friends:
Ibanez Artcore AF75
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
LTD H-207 7 string
Ibanez Acoustic