Does anyone else think we should get rid of it? Isn't the whole idea of every vote counting completely destroyed by the electoral college? To the best of my understanding, and I may very well be wrong, I have heard it was originally created so a bunch of backwoods people with no knowledge of topical issues could elect a president. But now everything politicians say is repeated across TV stations, albeit with media prejudice from both sides. That notwithstanding, wouldn't it make more sense to have a nationwide popular vote decide the victor of the election? Politicians wouldn't design their campaigns around getting the key states that give them more votes, and the victor would be the one that a majority of people voted for.

Anybody agree?
"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted."
Yup
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Yes! We also need a flat tax.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Quote by metal4all

this is true as well
"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted."
Quote by metal4all

Nope
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
The problem with that though is you wouldn't really eliminate the issue of key states. Presidential hopefuls would just campaign and try to win the most populated states.
It was a graveyard smash.
Nope, people still don't know enough about politics for it to work, just think about how many people have twisted political opinions thanks to the media
Quote by Swannie
Isn't the whole idea of every vote counting completely destroyed by the electoral college?

That idea is destroyed by (well, not that it ever existed) the economic elite's rule over state institutions.
"Blah blah blah blah" which will lead somebody to quote me and respond "blah blah blah blah blah" which will lead to roughly 150 or so posts and then the thread will die.

A couple of weeks from now someone will make this thread again, and the cycle will repeat.
Quote by Overlord
It's not hard to be nice, but it's nice to be hard
Quote by Carnivean
"Blah blah blah blah" which will lead somebody to quote me and respond "blah blah blah blah blah" which will lead to roughly 150 or so posts and then the thread will die.

A couple of weeks from now someone will make this thread again, and the cycle will repeat.

That is, usually, how forums work.
Quote by C. Limon
The problem with that though is you wouldn't really eliminate the issue of key states. Presidential hopefuls would just campaign and try to win the most populated states.

What this guy said. However, since I'm not a huge fan of state's rights, I'd still prefer a popular vote.
PM me for newts
In my opinion the electoral college still exists so that the people don't actually decide who the president is, he's already chosen...it just makes us feel like we have a say.

Oh and our current income tax is actually unconstitutional but still exists as well.
Quote by StewieSwan
What this guy said. However, since I'm not a huge fan of state's rights, I'd still prefer a popular vote.

Then you're a fan of absolute federal power.

Dissolution of the electoral college will place the power of executive election into the hands of the residents of 3 or 4 states. The US is not a democracy it's a representative republic. Dissolution of the electoral college is equal to the destruction of the US government.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
the electoral college isn't my favorite system, but it's worked for us for the greater majority of the time. there are pro's and con's to having this kind of system...both sides happen to bring up decent arguments on this case. if you were to get rid of it though, the more populous states would probably wind up holding complete dominance over elections.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electoral_College_(United_States)#Contemporary_conflict_over_the_Electoral_College

Quote by metal4all

no. with a flat tax, the middle and poorer classes would get screwed and the wealthy would be perfectly fine. a poor man's 30% is much more valuable to him than a billionaire's 30%
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
Last edited by Waterboy799 at Oct 21, 2011,
Quote by metal4all

lol nah.

The electoral college is still needed to weed out the politically ignorant. Imagine all of the individual votes Obama got solely because of his race. The system is still working in my opinion. It has failed very few times, which are subjective anyway.
██████████████████████████
████████████████████████
█████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████

LET'S GO BUCKS
Quote by Jackal58
Then you're a fan of absolute federal power.

Dissolution of the electoral college will place the power of executive election into the hands of the residents of 3 or 4 states. The US is not a democracy it's a representative republic. Dissolution of the electoral college is equal to the destruction of the US government.

I said I'm not a HUGE fan, that doesn't mean I want to abolish them. I recognize the need for checks against a centralized federal government, but I tend to support a more directly democratic approach. Financially, I think states should have their say for taxes, budgets, etc. However, I see no reason for the punishment for murder to be different in Texas than it is in Iowa.
PM me for newts
Last edited by StewieSwan at Oct 21, 2011,
Quote by Carnivean
"Bro bro bro bro" which will lead somebody to quote me and respond "bro bro bro bro bro" which will lead to roughly 150 or so bros and then the thread will die.

I put bros in your post so that there won't be any arguments in this thread. Remember to respect your fellow bros.

EDIT: Damn, last post on the page, now no-one will see this post and arguments will occur anyway.
Quote by Waterboy799
the electoral college isn't my favorite system, but it's worked for us for the greater majority of the time. there are pro's and con's to having this kind of system...both sides happen to bring up decent arguments on this case. if you were to get rid of it though, the more populous states would probably wind up holding complete dominance over elections.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electoral_College_(United_States)#Contemporary_conflict_over_the_Electoral_College

no. with a flat tax, the middle and poorer classes would get screwed and the wealthy would be perfectly fine. a poor man's 30% is much more valuable to him than a billionaire's 30%
Does it matter the state? It's up to the individual votes that show whether one or another likes them, no?

Also, why not? It seems fair to charge each person the same. 30% is 30%; it's relative.

Quote by devourke
I put bros in your post so that there won't be any arguments in this thread. Remember to respect your fellow bros.

EDIT: Damn, last post on the page, now no-one will see this post and arguments will occur anyway.
lol at '06er 20ppp n00b
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Last edited by metal4all at Oct 21, 2011,
Quote by metal4all

lol at '06er 20ppp n00b

It's not like people from 04 regularly start arguments.

You guys are too cool too even talk to the rest of us.
Quote by devourke
It's not like people from 04 regularly start arguments.

You guys are too cool too even talk to the rest of us.
nah uh

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Quote by metal4all
Does it matter the state? It's up to the individual votes that show whether one or another likes them, no?

Also, why not? It seems fair to charge each person the same. 30% is 30%; it's relative.

i'm not sure what you mean with that first statement.

and no, it's not fair. if i make 10,000 a year and get taxed 30%, i'm left with 7,000 for food, shelter, bills etc. if i make 1,000,000 a year i would be left with 700,000 for all of those same things. you can argue that, as a millionaire, i would be buying more expensive things or maybe my actual expenses would be greater...but really, how much greater? enough to justify having that kind of money? a person who makes a low income needs every penny while a person who's wealthy does not.

also, with a flat tax, government revenue would decrease and gone would be all those social programs we all love...or maybe one day hope to have.

but this thread isn't about taxes...
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

Quote by devourke
Bros?

Why, not?
Quote by Waterboy799
i'm not sure what you mean with that first statement.

and no, it's not fair. if i make 10,000 a year and get taxed 30%, i'm left with 7,000 for food, shelter, bills etc. if i make 1,000,000 a year i would be left with 700,000 for all of those same things. you can argue that, as a millionaire, i would be buying more expensive things or maybe my actual expenses would be greater...but really, how much greater? enough to justify having that kind of money? a person who makes a low income needs every penny while a person who's wealthy does not.

also, with a flat tax, government revenue would decrease and gone would be all those social programs we all love...or maybe one day hope to have.

but this thread isn't about taxes...
The person that makes $10,000 a year should have scammed a bunch of people to be a millionaire, then (or become a pro athlete).

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Quote by metal4all
Why, not? The person that makes $10,000 a year should have scammed a bunch of people to be a millionaire, then (or become a pro athlete).

...that's your argument? you're poor so it must be your fault?

once again, you're wrong...and even IF i give you that argument, a pure Capitalist economy implies that there is always a poorer class...so even then your argument makes no sense.

and you're not mentioning the middle class, who would also get screwed, or the decreased government revenue.
Quote by Scutchington

A Brain Malfunction

Last edited by Waterboy799 at Oct 22, 2011,