I play metal and despite trying, I can't get a good sound. I can always hear that 'fuzz' over my riffs. I want to try getting a better quality sound. I also tried messing with the 4-band EQ but no luck. Any tips or reg set ups you guys suggest?
Not really. Yet it's to the point where I can't get a decent gain for some riffs without hearing that fuzz in the background. I saw people use the EQ to balance it out but i'm new to that.
please record your signal unprocessed and upload it.

I had a Line6 GX and it took a shit after a year.
any samples that are below a DB were getting cut off and giving it a fuzz sound.

You might have a defective unit.
Are your riffs fuzzy or is it background noise?
Gear:
----------------------
Jack and Danny Brothers Ls-5
Ibanez Gsa 60
----------------------
Zoom g9.2tt (for sale (NL))
----------------------
Blackheart Little Giant
The riffs are fuzzy. I have the distortion sound I want but I can't get rid of the excess fuzz even with a noise gate
Gain no higher than 5/50%, notch out 3k and 4k with EQ and low pass at 8khz.
The gain bit I understand but I just started messing with the EQ So I don't really understand the second part
Use an Eq plugin for this part (the pod Eq isn't so great):
If you use Reaper, ReaEQ will do the trick. If not, most Eq plugs are similar. On the first band, set the mode to a low cut (same as a high pass) as set the value to 100 hz. On the second band, set the mode to a bell then the value to 3khz; set the Q value as high as possible and reduce the gain until you hear some of the fizz dicipating. Do the same for 4khz on the third band. On the fourth band set a high cut (same as a low pass) and set it between 8khz and 10khz. This low pass will get rid of all the high end junk.

Also, just incase you're using the Insane amp model... Don't.

Hope this helps.
I think it helped a bit. Yet I think I messed up somewhere because the fizz can still be heard when I record. Yet I tried my hand with the EQ in Audacity (which I think is totally different). Does Reaper cost anything? I'm trying to waste my money too often
Do you use Pod Farm?
because my set up is a noise gate (-19, 100%), Screamer (21, 44, 100), Spinal Puppet (50, 57, 25, 100, 100, 47), and I pretty much set up the 4-band EQ as you described
Won't play or me either. If there's not a hardware problem like Clayman's, I'm gonna go ahead and blame the Spinal Puppet amp. All of the line 6 model amps are pretty shit except the Big Bottom, in my opinion. You've also got some pretty wonky settings that are boosting the shit out of highs which is no doubt adding to the fizz. On the screamer, leave the drive all the way down, the gain at default and the tone at default. On the amp head set everything to 50% and see how that sounds.

This is the Cali Diamond Plate (Triple Rec) with everything at 50% and the EQing I described above: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/16210823/Tone%20Test%20Stems/Patch-CaliPlate.mp3

And the Mississippi Criminal (5150) with the same settings: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/16210823/Tone%20Test%20Stems/Patch-5150.mp3
Both clips had the Treadplate cab miked with the condenser and 0% room.
Last edited by Odirunn at Oct 22, 2011,
Is that This Or The Apocalypse? I believe its Subverse. But after messing with alot of the amps, I'm going to buy an add on pack to get better ones. Everyone tells me the ones you start off with are shit.

what add-on did you get those amps off of?
I highly recommend Metal Shop. You get an Engl model, two Diezel models, Mesa Triple Rec, etc...
Twitter
Soundcloud

ESP LTD EC-500
Krank Krankenstein
Krank Krankenstein 4x12 Cabinet
Alesis M-EQ 230
Ibanez TS-9 Tubescreamer
Jim Dunlop Cry Baby GC95
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Quote by LetoDestinatus
Is that This Or The Apocalypse? I believe its Subverse. But after messing with alot of the amps, I'm going to buy an add on pack to get better ones. Everyone tells me the ones you start off with are shit.

what add-on did you get those amps off of?

Yea, it's a TOTA riff. The amps are from the Metal Shop.
It's because it's digital solid state recording. It's standard for PodFarm especially to have horrible upper harmonic fuzz around the 4khz mark. You can try and EQ it out but it's not the easiest thing in the world to get right.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by LetoDestinatus
also should I upgrade to pod Farm 2.0?

Definitely. It lets you put your pedals anywhere you want in the chain with any amount of them. Which is handy, means you can compress on input and output and have multiple gates for super tightness
Quote by Cathbard
You don't need epic tone in the bedroom any more than you need mood lighting to masturbate.

OK. Thanks everyone!

Also if it isn't too much trouble, can someone let me see their set ups? I want something to base my own set up off of. Or if anyone can send me a link to a guide because when it comes to rigs and set ups, i'm as clueless as a virgin at a sex shop.
Also, should I stick with Ableton lite 7, Audacity, or Riffworks Line 6 Edition? Because I got those with Line 6 and Audacity's free. Or just save up for Reaper?
Reaper is free technically. But I would suggest buying it for the sake of not being an asshole.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
If I were you, I'd get Reaper, and then save up to buy it if you really want.
Quote by Cathbard
You don't need epic tone in the bedroom any more than you need mood lighting to masturbate.