Hi,

I have never played a guitar before, but would like to pick it up as a hobby. I'd like to mostly play metal music and my budget for a guitar is ~$250. My metal hero Jari Maenpaa plays an Ibanez so that's attractive, but other than that I have no preference and I'm not really tied to Ibanez anyway.

What would you guys recommend? I think used will probably get me a better value for a better guitar, but I'd basically someone to help pick one out for me (on Ebay or something) because I really have no idea what I'm looking for.

Any help?

I checked the FAQ and it had this link to a "beginner guitar" thread, but the link appears to go nowhere (https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=42965)
Some of the main metal guitar manufacturers are Ibanez, Jackson and ESP. At that price range I recommend you look into those (and other) brands and just select whichever you think is the prettiest looking.

EDIT: Just noticed you're also a donkey.
West Ham United
Last edited by King Donkey at Oct 22, 2011,
Jackson JS-1.

If you go by the 'prettiest' guitar like the guy above me said, then warlock bronze series, but its a waste of money pos and out of your budget.
Not a bad choice, just keep in mind that those pickups will need batteries.
Quote by phayzze
Not a bad choice, just keep in mind that those pickups will need batteries.

No they won't, those are passives.
My stuff

Gibson Les Paul Studio
Ibanez ADC120
Tanglewood TGRF VS
Blackstar HT20
Roland Micro Cube
The Ibby 321 would be good. One of my buddies was using that as his workhorse guitar until just recently.

When I started I was using a Dean MLx. Low-end Deans get alot of flak around here but for a starter guitar I have no complaints about it, I still bust it out ever now and then actually.
(Gear in profile)

Yes I do like metal, no I'm not a close minded idiot.
Quote by epiphone316
Thats a good choice.

+1, that'd work

for the amp, something like a roland cube 30/40x or maybe a peavey vypyr
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
My first guitar was a Fender Thinline Tele. Not the most budgeted guitar but it is one of the nicest guitars I've ever played. 5 years later, it still stays in tune, sounds great and plays great. My point is even if you're just looking for a hobby guitar, get something that will last a very long time. Don't just settle.
Quote by TheMetalRiffer
My first guitar was a Fender Thinline Tele. Not the most budgeted guitar but it is one of the nicest guitars I've ever played. 5 years later, it still stays in tune, sounds great and plays great. My point is even if you're just looking for a hobby guitar, get something that will last a very long time. Don't just settle.

Here we go again. Not many beginners will go for a $500 guitar because if they quit then thats $500 wasted. 250 is a pretty good budget for a beginner guitar, it won't hinder you like some of the cheaper $100 ones will. The quality of a guitar in that price range *should* be decent.

AKA no uneven frets, lack of shielding, stuff not inserted correctly etc.

Thats a good guitar for the price TS, most Ibanez gear is pretty good quality.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
The Jackson DXMG is great for beginners, but I think the cheapest you can go with one is 400$, unused. And if you do buy a used guitar, They are good if you're just starting cause the frets sometimes wear down, thus making it easier to pull off, hammer on, slide, etc. Just make sure its in shape, don't pay for a broken guitar cause they're a bitch to repair lol!
And @DeathByDestroyr: Schecters are ****ing amazing. They play great! I'm looking for one used too, but its no budget guitar haha. Its a Jeff Loomis 7 string black cherry finish Damien Hellraiser. Boom. Can you say, Godlines? haha.
OH AND! AND AND! Buying a beginner guitar, DON'T SHOP ONLINE! Buy it in a STORE with an EXPERIANCED guitar player/purchaser, and try out a couple different brands if you don't like what we reccomend. To each his own, we all have different styles and comfort zones, if you must. I also like Dean guitars, especially the rusty cooley sig.

Damn, I just read this over, and it's all over the ****in place ahaha. Try and put it together. I'm scatterbrained.... lol.
Quote by \m/Death\m/
The Jackson DXMG is great for beginners, but I think the cheapest you can go with one is 400$, unused. And if you do buy a used guitar, They are good if you're just starting cause the frets sometimes wear down, thus making it easier to pull off, hammer on, slide, etc. Just make sure its in shape, don't pay for a broken guitar cause they're a bitch to repair lol!
And @DeathByDestroyr: Schecters are ****ing amazing. They play great! I'm looking for one used too, but its no budget guitar haha. Its a Jeff Loomis 7 string black cherry finish Damien Hellraiser. Boom. Can you say, Godlines? haha.
OH AND! AND AND! Buying a beginner guitar, DON'T SHOP ONLINE! Buy it in a STORE with an EXPERIANCED guitar player/purchaser, and try out a couple different brands if you don't like what we reccomend. To each his own, we all have different styles and comfort zones, if you must. I also like Dean guitars, especially the rusty cooley sig.

Damn, I just read this over, and it's all over the ****in place ahaha. Try and put it together. I'm scatterbrained.... lol.

just ordered a scheceter hellraiser special fr