Ok, so I am in the market for a nice audio interface to start my recording journey. I've got about a $300 budget to spend on the audio interface and it has to be able to do these things efficiently:

1. Record at least Guitar, Bass, Vocal, and *Drums* at the same time.

2. It also needs a midi input/output because I plan on using my electric drumset to trigger a drumset software plugin thingy via midi which is why the interface needs to have a midi port

3. Low or no latency and maybe direct monitoring(if someone would like to let me know what that means), but basically I just want it to sound good and not sucky.

So yea, if you can help let me know. Me and my band are really wanting to record some of the songs we've written just for fun as well as doing some of my own solo adventures into the recording world.
Current/Main Gear
'06 MIA Fender Stratocaster
'97 Epiphone Les Paul Standard Lim. Ed.
'90s Peavey Classic 30
H&K Tubemeister 18
MXR 404 CAE Crybaby
Ibanez TS9
Ernie Ball Jr. Volume
Digitech Hardwire DL-8
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Last edited by EncoreBlade at Oct 22, 2011,
Pushed for a time for a proper reply, so no suggestions on interfaces here from me, but I just felt like letting you know:

Direct monitoring is when the interface allows you to monitor (usually through a headphone port) the incoming signal, before it leaves the interface and goes into the DAW you're using - in other words, it is the sound of whatever you're recording, after it has been through the unit's preamps and A/D converters, but before it goes to the computer and back. So if you're using amp sims for the guitars, all you'd hear is a clean guitar signal (the clean DI going into the DAW), and the same problem would happen for drums if you're using the elec. kit to trigger samples in drum programming software etc. except you wouldn't hear anything I believe (MIDI data is not audio, and therefore you would hear nothing unless the interface sends out an audible series of bleeps etc. like an old modem when you picked up a phone running on the same phone line... but I doubt this, as MIDI data would be transferred very quickly I'd imagine).
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
i dont know if you are gonna be able to get and interface on that budget that will do all those things.how many inputs are you looking for?
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
Unless you're using a very minimal amount of mics on the drums, finding an interface in that price range is going to be pretty non-existent.

You could pick up a B-Stock Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 for $360 on eBay (or less if you use the Best Offer feature). That's the absolute best interface you're going to get in that price range that can do what you want, unless you get some kind of insane deal on something else. However, you're limited to 8 tracks, so assuming you have 2 guitarists, with bass and 1 track of vocals, that eats up 4 tracks right there. You'll have enough left to mic the bass drum, snare and 2 overheads. You could expand it via ADAT for 8 more mic inputs, but that's going to be even more expensive.

If the drums you're planning on recording with the rest of the instruments are MIDI, though - You won't use up any of the 8 inputs.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Last edited by MatrixClaw at Oct 22, 2011,
Yea, see for now, I don't plan on mic'ing our drums just yet since we don't really have enough mics to do that with. However, I need at least four inputs, as one poster said, for tracking 2 guitars, bass and vocals. For now, drums will have to come through the electric drums triggering a drum software through midi which is why having midi ports on there is pretty important.

Also, if we do need need to mic the drums up, there's a guy we know who has a little mixer with I think four inputs in it so we're good for mic'ing up drums in the future
Current/Main Gear
'90s Peavey Classic 30
H&K Tubemeister 18
MXR 404 CAE Crybaby
Ibanez TS9
Ernie Ball Jr. Volume
Digitech Hardwire DL-8
^Even so, for $60 over your budget, the Saffire Pro 40 is the best interface for the price under ~$1300 and is well worth the extra cash.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
^Even so, for $60 over your budget, the Saffire Pro 40 is the best interface for the price under ~$1300 and is well worth the extra cash.

What about instead of the 40, the Saffire Pro 24. There's only two XLR/TRS inputs in the front, but the back has 2 ports (3 and 4) called line input which I'm assuming means I can plug in two more lines to record tracks with. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but would this seem like a good alternative? $300-$310 is absolute I can pay out due to bills and other financial reasons.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/focusrite-saffire-pro-24

I would do ebay, but I've had two bad problems with it about a while back so I'm not really trusting ebay with a buy of this magnitude and although I linked to musiciansfriend, I plan on buying it at a music store once I figure out which interface I should get.
Current/Main Gear
'90s Peavey Classic 30
H&K Tubemeister 18
MXR 404 CAE Crybaby
Ibanez TS9
Ernie Ball Jr. Volume
Digitech Hardwire DL-8
Yes but they need to be line level. Like a D.I input. So it gives you 2 mic pre and two line in mic inputs. (Bass and Rhythm guitar potentially) The pre-amps are pretty clean and focusrite is a solid company.

Sweetwater is great and does free shipping.