Im looking for some tips on what to look for, much appreciate the advice in advance.

Im looking at getting a boss me25. i had one of the vox boards (st). but i didnt really like the tone (it wasnt bad, just not for my taste).

I need an amp which is capable of sounding good at really low bedroom volumes. Im not a gigger so something below 5w if a tube and preferably able to be switched to sub 1w.

I also need something affordable.

Now would it be wrong to go for a something outside of a tube amp?

Basically Im looking for the best tone.

I was thinking blakstar ht-1?
Last edited by fiztech at Oct 22, 2011,
Well it depends on what kind of style/s you're looking to cover. 1w of headroom in a tube amp will make it very hard to get a pristine clean sound with little breakup at any "decent?" volume.
ESP Horizon NT-II
Schecter Hellraiser C-1
Peavey 6505
Orange PPC412
Maxon OD808
ISP Decimator G-String
Boss TU3
Quote by Mopy
Well it depends on what kind of style/s you're looking to cover. 1w of headroom in a tube amp will make it very hard to get a pristine clean sound with little breakup at any "decent?" volume.

yeah thats why i want the pedal, to make some tones at low volumes or with headphones. want good distortions and low volumes. so maybe something like a pathfinder would do just as good a job?

hendrx/heavy rock/metal/funk.

so yeah i guess thats a fair spread lol.
Well if you want to exclusively use headphones look at the Line 6 HD300 or 500 depending on your budget. They're a great unit and would be a better choice that the Boss ME-25 in my opinion. They simulate many great amps; ENGLs, Mesa's, Bogners, and a bunch of low gain amps too. As well as having all the effects a Boss ME unit would have.

As for an amp, look for a Roland JC60 to be paired along side the Line 6 HD. The Roland JC's are solid state and are good for great tones at low volumes, the JC's are also pristine clean so when you use whichever unit you choose for your effects/amp sims it will have a more clean base to build the tone off.
ESP Horizon NT-II
Schecter Hellraiser C-1
Peavey 6505
Orange PPC412
Maxon OD808
ISP Decimator G-String
Boss TU3
Last edited by Mopy at Oct 22, 2011,
thanks for that. the line 6 has an expression pedal built in?

i love the JC, but i should have added, i also need a portable smaller size. that and the price is well out of the league i can pay.

i thought the ht1 would be a good choice or maybe a pathfnder 10, or maybe even a bandit.
The tone of the ME isn't going to be a lot different than the ST. I do like the ME better because of features. A Epi Vjr combo is a decent bedroom amp that goes well with any pedals. You can add an ext cab later to improve the sound if you are trying to keep the budget low now.

What kind of music do you play. The songs in my link are from multifx and the second link explains which ones. I use an ME-25, Zoom G3, and an RP1000. In your price range the RP355 is a contender. The coolest thing about the ME-25 is the freeze effect, plus it has a 38 sec looper. The RP355 and the G3 each have advantages about them as well.
+ 1 to the rp355. Sounds great through headphones and through an amp as well. Check out my recordings for some clips.
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
I use a Digitech RP1000 for amp modeling and effects, and I wanted something very much like you describe. I ended up going for a Roland Micro Cube RX, a little bigger brother to the regular Micro Cube. Works very well for practice and finding sounds for recording. Plus it's very portable, if you want to get together with friends and jam. (I also have a 30-watt Vox for higher-volume situations.)

Cheers....