I currently own an ibanez Rg120, and it has a wizard II neck meaning it is very thin and flat. Yesterday, I played a Fender American standard Stratocaster and the neck felt huge in my hands, and I wasn't used to it. But I did like the feel of having more wood in your fingers, and the strat sounded great.
Will I get used to necks that are thicker than my Ibanez, or am I stuck with the thin necked shredder guitars?
I'm asking this because I'm really broke right now and this Ibanez will be the guitar I will be playing for the next 3+ years, and I really don't want to have to be limited to only being able to play thin necked guitars. (I also have average sized fingers)
Nope, you said yourself you liked the feel of more wood on your fingers. You'll get used to it with a bit of time.
West Ham United
Getting used to thicker necks takes no time at all. Like a week maybe (of noodling around.) Just make sure you don't go back to the ibanez in that time.

I'm a Ibanez Prestige man myself so maybe I'm not the best to take advice from
No, I'd say you could still get used to a thicker neck, it'd just feel a bit.. 'awkward' at first. I went from a rather thin neck to a PRS-like neck ( a bit rounder and thicker than what I had ) and although it did take a week or so to fully adapt to the new neck, I started liking thicker necks better than thin necks.
Current gear:
Carvin CT6M
TC Electronics Dark Matter distortion
Harley Benton 2x12, with Celestion V30s
Laney Ironheart 60w tube amp
thicker necks for the most part also get better tone, and you will get used to it, you just gotta do it
I go from a fat gibson neck to the thinnest ibby neck all the time.

its not as big a deal as some people make out.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Tom 1.0

This.

I have 12 guitars all with very different necks and don't find switching between them causes any issues whatsoever.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
you get used to different necks. on top of that, different necks will highlight different elements of your playing (as an example, I play faster and more precisely on my ESP but I do alot of comping and melodic playing on my tele)

the more often you switch around, the easier it gets. ultimately though, if the neck has some immediate appeal, you'll probably get used to it.
it's really very personal... some people get used to it really quickly, others don't. So no-one can really give you a definitive answer...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I had the same situation, literally the same. I went from an ibanez with a wizard II to an American Standard fender. Switching necks was not hard, and I'm happier with the Fender neck now.
It doesn't bother me at all and none of my guitars have the same neck profiles
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
i think you can get used to any neck profile - naturally you will have your preferences as to how you want things to be, but that doesn't mean you'll never get used to something different.

it's always good to be able to adapt to different guitars.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
Oh that's a relief- Thanks for the input.

Also, what guitar/s would have a regular sized guitar neck profile? I'm guessing Fender Strats?
Last edited by MetalMeltd0wn at Oct 23, 2011,
Quote by MetalMeltd0wn
what guitar/s would have a regular sized guitar neck profile? I'm guessing Fender Strats?

Regular size? The whole point of the rest of this thread was that they're al different, so I'm not sure there is a 'regular' size.

If you mean you're after something easy to play then a Fender Strat would be a good choice.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
I have a Les Paul, Strat and Ibanez Prestige. All have very different necks and they all feel great to me because I've played each extensively. You'll get used to them. You'll still have a preference, but the other necks will still feel fine after a while.

The only necks I haven't been able to get used to are the wide necks on high-end Martin acoustics. Strings are spaced so far apart that it messes me up. But even with those, I'm sure I could get used to them with time.
Music Man JPX 6
Ibanez RGT220H
Fender 50th Anniversary Deluxe Strat
93 Jackson Std Professional (Japan)
03 Gibson LP Special
Alvarez AD60SC

Mesa Single Rectifier/Mesa 4x12 cab
Mesa Transatlantic TA-15
Hughes & Kettner Triplex
Quote by Tom 1.0

this is what i do as well. its not really a big deal . i forget the neck shape if m enjoying a guitar's feel and tone.