Page 1 of 2
To give a little back story, I am primarily a gamer and self-taught drummer who's always wanted to play guitar. Nothing serious though just played around on the drums when I went to church and sometimes filled in if the usual drummer was there. But what brings me here is I'm looking for some very bad advice. When I heard Rocksmith was coming out I was immediately interested and I was tempted to buy the bundle. But in my experience when I hear the word 'bundle' it translates to "stuff we can't sell as a stand alone so we'll just attach it to this crap and call it a 'deal'"

So instead of getting the bundle I decided I save a few dollars and just get the game and guitar separately. So with the game costing 80 bucks and the bundle costing 200, that sets my budget at 120 dollars. And I'm pretty confident I can find more guitar for the money than I would getting the Epiphone Les Paul Jr. And that is one guitar I KNOW I'll get bored of simply because of the fact that it only has one pick up.

Now I KNOW what the good advice is. Some would say if I really want to learn guitar then don't spend 80 dollars on a game and just spend the 200 on getting a better guitar. And more would say save that 200 until I can drop 50-100 dollars more on something even better as the more I like my guitar the more I will want to learn how to play it. All very reasonable approaches to my dilemma and all the entire opposite of the reason of this post.

Now in my twisted logic just because something is a bad idea doesn't necessarily mean you can't be smart about it. So I've put in a bit of effort and research on the guitars in that price range but still a week of abusing google and one visit Guitar Center doesn't mean much in the grand scheme of things. So this is where you fine and helpful people come in. The goal is simple, I want the most guitar for the lowest price under 120 bucks. To help get things started here are my top two so far:

Now what was at the top of my list was a Dean Vendetta XM but there has since been a bit of a dark horse thrown into the race that I ordered on pure impulse and that is the Oscar Schmidt OI14.

I found the OI14 completely by accident after someone recommended the Washburn WI14 to me and I was looking stuff up about it and I liked what I was finding so I started doing some window shopping and then I found an Oscar Schmidt version of it listed on Amazon for.... 78 dollars new and to put the icing on the cake there was only 1 left in stock. My first thought was dismissive, probably just some knock off company but digging in I found they were essential within the same company. More digging around the guitar is selling in the 130-150 range. My original plan was to wait a day and if it was still for sale I'd buy it.... it didn't work out that way.. woke up late that night and bought it convincing myself if its not all its cracked up to be I can send it back.

Happy ending right? No.

Well I jump back on the research horse and start looking up stuff about the OI14 and after diving through oh... 20 pages of google links and looking at links on those links, the amount of actual reviews on the OI14 I can probably count on both my hands. Which worries me cause if something sucks usually people post about it. And if something is awesome... people post about it. So finding so little worries me a bit. And the reviews I can find are split. A couple give it severely high praise and a couple give it the POS stamp of disapproval. So I've resorted to comparing the OI14 to the WI14. And from what I can expect of those reviews Washburn is kind of a hit or miss company when it comes to their lower end products. You have a bit of a higher chance of getting lucky but there is also a very real chance you could get stuck with a lemon.

My main concern is that the majority of the Washburn complaints are related to the neck/high action set up that comes stock with it. Now I don't know poop about any of that stuff but from my understanding of it the Dean VN XM has a Tune-o-Matic Bridge that you can raise and lower to adjust the action of the guitar easily. If that is right ,is that a mechanic unique to Tune-o-Matic bridges or is adjusting the action on a guitar really not that big of a deal?

I really do like both guitars.

I like the pattern of the string through body of the XM, the fact that is has 24 frets, I like the wood grain finish even if its just a decal. Though not sure how I feel about the Paulownia wood body. But don't really think that matters in comparison to the 'hardwood' body of the OI14. And the volume control looks a little close to the bridge pick-up for my tastes.

With the OI14 I like the body and the color is growing on me (the 78 dollar deal was only on the red one, I joke that I'm going to name it Eve because she 'tempted' me to act against my better judgment and her red color and maple neck remind me of an apple... that and she will technically be my first guitar) But while not necessary I like that each pick up has its own volume and tone controls. Its only 22 frets though but as a noob I don't think I'll be making THAT much use of the extra 2 frets for it to really matter. Still I'm a man who likes options.

So that's about it. Any thoughts, opinions, suggestions, or concerns for my sanity will be much appreciated. If you have had experience with another guitar outside the two I listed in the under or around 120 dollar range, please do share.

Thank you.
Wow...um, that was long.

No way anyone's going to read all that, just buy something that feels nice to get you into it. It's your first guitar not meant to be anything brilliant.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
At that price range no guitar is going to be exceptional. Just get whichever one you think is the nicest looking and upgrade to a better guitar when you want to get serious.
West Ham United
Quote by King Donkey
At that price range no guitar is going to be exceptional. Just get whichever one you think is the nicest looking and upgrade to a better guitar when you want to get serious.

basically this.

or look on ebay for a used squier or something.

a squier will be better than a POS first act or low end washburn
Quote by Eppicurt
Wow...um, that was long.

No way anyone's going to read all that, just buy something that feels nice to get you into it. It's your first guitar not meant to be anything brilliant.

Well you never know someone online might be as bored as me and find it a decent read lol. But here is an attempt at a super condensed version.

On a budget of 120 dollars which guitar would you pick and why?

Oscar Schmidt OI14
Dean Vendetta M
or
Other

And does anyone have any experience at all with the OI14. I can't find a single youtube clip of what it sounds like, or solid amount of reviews to give any real insight on what to expect. For the moment I'm treating it like a Washburn WI14 clone and going off of those reviews.

And how easy is it to raise and lower the action on a guitar? From my understanding the Tune-o-Matic Bridge can be raised and lowered to adjust the height of the strings. Is that a mechanic unique to Tune-o-Matics or can any bridge do that? If not how much of an advatange does a Tune-o-Matic bridge give?

Better?

Yeah I know the guitar is not going to be great or maybe even not good in that price range. But I still want the best I can get for the money. And yeah, right now I'm prioritizing frame and multiple pick ups. So when/if I do get serious I can use it as a project guitar and mod it to my liking... once I figure out what 'my likings' actually are after playing a while.

So yeah I know any guitar in that price range will have similar quality and sound but just asking what if faced with the same choice what would other people choose.

Edit: Yeah for my first guitar I really don't want to go used. I am not confident enough in my knowledge or feel to know when I'm getting ripped off or not. And besides if something goes wrong with the guitar I'd like to know that its something I did or some company mess up rather than the work of something the seller convieniently forgot to tell me about or doesn't know about themselves.
Last edited by Doomhappy at Oct 22, 2011,
Have you even tried the game? I think playing Guitar without a game will make you much happier, because you can spend the money you save on a better guitar. Also the system which Rocksmith uses looks like it is more or less regular tabs. The game doesnt have a whole bunch of songs, so i think youd have to spend more money to buy those for the game.

So to your wall of text:
A guitar with one pickup is not going to automatically be boring. The neck Pickup on most cheap guitar is crap anyway, so the selector will stay on the bridge pickup most of the time. Also its a matter of what youre playing.

The Action on a guitar can be easily changed, so people complaining about the stock setup can just set it up or have someone set it up the way they want.

And you dont need 24 frets to be happy. Seeing as you are just starting out, you wont even need 22 in the near future, as most of the higher frets only come in for soloing, which you are not going to do when youre just starting.
well, it was an interesting read. you know a fair bit about guitars for someone who's never played?

dunno about the two guitars you listed, but like Ich 666 said, action on any guitar can be changed easily - im one to think that with patience and enough effort you can make any guitar sound decent and feel decent, so dont be too fussed about the action when you dont even have a guitar yet.
Well, ive had a Dean XMT, (the one with a tremolo) for about more than a year... and i must say , its actually quite good., infact when i played it thru a peavey vypyr(30) it didnt sound bad.
Now apart from the fact that its a beginner's guitar(so u dont get to hear all the harmonics when u play a note), the part that sucks is the tremolo.. so dont one with a cheap trem system, and if possible test the guitar at a local shop.
I honestly like squier bullets. I may be a freak of nature, but I think they're pretty darn good guitars for the money. I would get one of those if I were you. I think Washburn is generally crap. That Oscar Schmidt says solid hardwood body. That means plywood.
what amp were you looking at?

and any $100 guitar needs to be tried at the store.

check the tuners, check for it's ability to be set up
relatively buzz free.

that's all you'll get for that, unless you look used.

in this price range, at this level, your tone will be from your amp and

your guitar should be something that stays in tune, and is most playable.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
1. Don't by Rocksmith
2. Buy a guitar
3. Learn to play it

Sounds much better to me.
To the OP, did you buy Rocksmith yet? If not, I would highly suggest that you either take some beginner lessons, get a beginner book, take beginner online courses (i.e. justinguitar/youtube, and/or learn all the solid basics first.

I actually bought Rocksmith, but I've think I'm closer to an early intermediate level of guitar playing. From my experimenting this week, I've found that Rocksmith doesn't really teach you properly. I will guarantee you that any beginner who tries to learn on Rocksmith is going to develop very poor technique and form that will be very difficult to overcome in the future.

Honestly, I would suggest that someone that is interested in Rocksmith practice for at least 3-6 months before trying out the game.

I actually like the game. I'm not in a band or anything; guitar is more of a hobby, so it's fun for me to play along. However, I know enough to use proper technique while engaging the game. Rocksmith will not replace learning, but I think of it more of a supplement after you get down the basics.

Let me know if you have any specific questions regarding Rocksmith or whatnot.
Matt-
Black Gibson SG - Gibson Dirty Fingers Coil Split/ Seymour Duncan 59' HB
Brown Satin Gibson SG - Seymour Duncan Invader
Squier 60's Classic Vibe Strat
Epiphone Electric Accoustic
Marshall Valvestate
Fender Mustang II
Boss DS-1
Vox Wah
Here's $0.02 from an old picker...

Fender Bullet. Have the guy in the store demonstrate it for you, if you don't know how to play it. (just because you don't know how to play doesn't mean your ears are broke) that way you know that it at least is playable.

There are more methods of learning to play the guitar than one person has the time to count, and they all teach you how to play the guitar... I was intrigued with Rocksmith when I read about it, mainly because you use an actual guitar to play it. It can't help but teach you how to play. If it works for you great.. It's not going to teach you everything you need or will want to know, but it may just get you interested enough to learn more after mastering the game...

Go for the cheap guitar.. that way if you don't like it, you're not out a bunch... and keep learning about all the techincal aspects that you've been researching for future knowledge to have when you will actually be able to tell the difference. fact of the matter is, you don't know what you like at this point...

I'll be interested to hear how it works out for you... we all learn things differently and for some reason it just makes sense to me for a gamer to learn guitar through a game..

Good Luck...
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
Your way over thinking this. Its your first guitar and you going to love it because you wont know the difference between your guitar and any other guitar. After you play for a while and learn some stuff, then worry about upgrading guitars. And dont get the game.
If you didn't buy the game yet, I'd consider a Squire of some sort. I bought mine as my first about 2 1/2 years ago, and it's still one of my favorites. For the price, you usually can't go wrong with them.
Really long for us kids here, lol, but I read it.

I say skip and epi and re washburn. Get a cort or an agile. A friend of mine spent $130 on a Douglas, and although it was obviously a low cost guitar, it was made well. Basically, I paid $250 for the js30rr in my sig, and that Douglas felt better than it.

http://www.rondomusic.com/electricguitar-ss3.html

Things to avoid at this price range:

1.whammy bar (floyd rose bridge)
2.starter packs (you hit the nail on the head, bundle stuff and call it a deal)
3.don't buy any amps from rondo. I've never used them, but there are ALOT of good, cheap, name brand amos out there.

Good luck!
Guitars:
LTD Alexi-600 White & Black
LTD Alexi-200 Black(Death Adder pickup & Gold OFR)
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 7-string
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Bugera 6262 212 loaded with WGS veteran 30's
@ Ich 666
Yeah I had a bit of a derp moment there. Soon after posting I realized... hey I can look up adjusting a guitar's action on youtube. And low and behold all my answers were answered. But as for the pick ups. Yeah, I'm a gamer. I like pushing buttons and flipping switches. It could make the guitar sound like a series of armpit farts and I would still be entertained because I flipped a little clicky thing to make it happen. I'm simple like that... I'm over 25 and I still can't walk down the toys aisle of a store without hitting the 'try me' button a few dozen times.

@ruletheneck
Man if you asked last week how a guitar worked I've probably have listed out
Step one: You strum the string
Step two: Mysterious magic stuff happens
Step three: ???
Step four: You get noise.
Optional Step five: Surrender soul to satan for actual musics.

Now when I talk to my friends and loved ones about them and start talking about preferring duall humbuckers over an HSS set up or the pro's and con's of having a tremolo over hardtail or any of that stuff they just look at me as if I was talking french and abort the topic of conversation as quickly as possible.

@nitarsh
Yeah the Dean XMT was actually one of the first guitars I looked at. But for a first guitar I think a whammy bar would cause more problems than fun. As fun as it would be to completely suck at guitar and then start flailing the whammy bar to suck even more at the guitar... but in a more stylish fashion. I heard they are a bit more difficult to string and can be harder to keep in tune with frequent use. I read something about locking tuners helping to alleviate that problem but that would be getting ahead of myself for the moment. So I'm just avoid Tremolo's for the moment.

@Chad11491
Yeah that was what I'm afraid of. But like a young novice adult film 'star' at this point in my guitar career... wood is wood. I was kinda hoping it would be basswood but I can deal. Kinda interested in the Paulownia wood but I'm afraid that it just might feel too light as I do like to have some weight on my hands though that might change once I start pouring hours and hours into playing. Still haven't held the OI14 yet so I at least want to do that before I make any concrete choice.

@jj1565
Yeah that's the beauty of Rocksmith. It turns TV into an amp via my gaming system. So I'm essentially getting a virtual 'amp' with a bunch of edutainment tacked on. But yeah I've held an XM and its smooth and light but did hold it long enough to get a real feel for it. And I was a bit too intimidated to actually strum it and show my noobness in a store full of strangers. Just waiting on the OI14 to get here so I can compare myself.

@thetalonguy/mnf50
I'm really getting Rocksmith for four reasons. One, I'm a gamer. Two, it turns my TV into an amp. Three, I see it more as a practicing aid than a teaching aid. And four, I'm a gamer.

The way I see it, anyone can LEARN guitar. Learning is actually the easy part. Learning is the calm leisurely walk through flowery meadows where there is only the horizon and pure untapped potential ahead of you. And then you come to realize the big giant thing off in the horizon wasn't the sky... it was a big ginormous mountain. And standing at the foot of that mountain is a sign that reads "To get better and play that sound you always wanted to play. Please start climbing here." And you climb and climb. Until eventually you feel you can't climb any more and you look back towards the meadows but the optimism of the floral landscape is no longer in sight and you look up to see how close you are to playing that song you've always want to play and see complete and utter nothingness. And in your despair you simply let go of the mountain and let life pull back down into it's monotony.

Or at least that has been my experience with learning so far. And the name of that dreaded mountain is called "Practice". Its boring, repetitive, and boring. That's why they call it practice and not playing. But yeah, I'm not buying Rocksmith to teach me guitar. I'm going to get books and look up lessons and all the stuff I can. Learn to do it the right way and use the game like an express tunnel to cut through the boringness of the Mountain that calls itself Practice.

@Papabear505
I'm definitely keeping up with the research because I've already settled on the fact that whatever guitar I settle on is going to be my project guitar. And I'm going to do everything I can to customize it to be just right... after I buy a second guitar that is if/when I decide to get serious about really getting better.

But I agree anyone who buys Rocksmith thinking its going to be a standalone format to teaching them how to play guitar is going to be very disappointed or disappointing.

@epiphone316
Yeah I know I'm overthinking it but I also know me. I'm a sentimental person and even if the guitar I decide to learn on sucks monkey balls if dropping 500 dollars worth of gear into a 100 dollar guitar is going to make it exactly the way I want it... I'm going to do it. Even if the end result is that it sounds like a 300 dollar guitar, I'd do it just on the principle that it was my first guitar and I want it to be the very best it can be.

@ChamsRock
Yeah I was tempted to try out the Squier Affinity Telecaster and a non-trem Bullet would be neat as well. But the main goal at the moment is just to get as much guitar per dollar as I can under the 120 dollar mark. As much as I'd like to splurge I still have Christmas shopping to do, etc. So the less I can manage to spend now the better it'll help me out until the end of the hear. Then after that it should only be a few months until I can afford something in the 200-300 dollar range baring any unexpected expenses. And by then I can find out with the cheap guitar if dropping several hundred dollars on one instrument would be worth it for me or not at that point.

@Gundamnitpete
Hmm and another contender joins the mix. I'll definitely have to do some research on the Douglass. I've already bookmarked a couple of Agile Guitars when I'm ready to make the dive into the 200-300 dollar market, so that is definitely worth a serious look before I settle.
First off, has anyone here actually played rocksmith? granted I only tested it so it might be different. However, when I played it. the likeness to real guitar extended as far as when there wasn't notes on the screen I could screw around, it basically was another guitar hero, with the added 3 dimensional chord, and they're drop tune chords, while you play in standard.

While fun, I really feel like for learning it will spin you randomly in a direction until you give up.

I wouldn't say you can't use it, I found guitar hero a fun way to build up finger strength with out boring and repetitious practices on guitar. Using Rocksmith Solely as a platform to play guitar is a bad idea, play it to have fun, and give you an idea of a slight way to play, but learn more so on your own.

Any guitar for around 120 new will be rather the same. even more so though that game. it made a EBMM sound worse than a cardboard squire.
You belong in a museum.

Do you Enjoy Forza, and wish to be in an in game Club?! Look no further! Please, join.. there is no one else!
OP:
200 dollars:
>used 30watt-line 6 spider, peavey vypyr, or vox valvetronix
should be about 80-120 used if you look around and wait; if not 15watt should be like 50bucks

>used guitar for ~100 - squier, epiphones, ibanez...anything really. they get a bad rap but theyre really not bad guitars; begginer guitars that is..

i dont recommend getting the game cus of the fundemetal flaws that it has. music is meant to be played by feel, and listening to it; not a game throwing notes at you.

although if you wont practice if its not a video game, go ahead and get it, it probably teach you the basics without making it boring.
Quote by davem27
OP:
200 dollars:
>used/new fender mustang, roland cube, orange crush, peavey vypyr, or vox valvetronix
should be about 80-150 for the 15 and 30 (or so) watts respectively used if you look around and wait.

FIXED ^^^

I was considering getting the game until I saw videos of it and realized its easier using tabs to learn something.

Definitely get an amp. No way you're going to turn on your xbox and launch the game every time you want to play something. And for the price range, any guitar will be as bad as the next so go first by what pickup config you want and then try playing them to see which one is the most comfy. Soon, you're going to want to upgrade.

My suggestion would be to increase your budget because then, you wont get pissed at a bad guitar and give up.

BTW, I am (was) a gamer but stopped because cod, forza, halo w/e got boring after awhile. From a guitarist/gamer perspective, the gamer in me says it'll be kinda fun but will get boring soon. The guitarist says its not practical and a waste of money because it'll just take longer to learn anything. And....honestly...how good do you think the amp models/effects in the game will be? Especially through tv speakers...
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Quote by Eppicurt
Wow...um, that was long.

No way anyone's going to read all that.

I did cause im cool like that.

Try looking on craigslist, sometimes you can some nice stuff dirt cheap on there.

Otherwise look here.
http://www.rondomusic.com/electricguitar.html
Douglas makes some nice gear for the prices but in my experience SX is a little better.
Trust me when I say that these guitars are probably the best you can find at this price thats brand new. Of course if you save up a little you could buy a Douglas Spad which are great guitars and if you save a little more you could get a Agile Al-2000 which in my opinion are better than epiphones.

And its not a bad idea what you have, I fully intend to buy the game for PS3. Why any guitarist that likes games would not want a copy of the game is beyond me. And if you are just starting out that makes it an even better idea as you are still learning to play the songs, one feature the game has is the Master Mode which displays NOTHING on screen so when you are playing you have no visual aid so you have to play the song purely by memory and feeling while using the games backing trick as a guide.

People will appose the idea, but if it makes playing the guitar more fun then do it. I have played JamGuru which admittedly is a pile of crap and that alone made playing the guitar even more fun just due to the fact that every time I started the game up I would see the high score and I would immediately want to beat there score and after only 2 days of playing I was able to beat a high score and just after the first hour of playing I was able to play the song without the game or a backing track. This is an achievement for me cause usually it takes me up to a week at least to learn a song with just tabs alone. Weather people want to believe it or not it is a very affective way to learn.
Last edited by Darkdevil725 at Oct 22, 2011,
Doomhappy,

First off, please try to sum things up much faster. If you can say something in a sentence rather than a paragraph, it would probably be much appreciated, and you'd likely get more replies because people don't want to read a ton of text to get to the gist of something.

Also, you confused me when you said you were going to save a few dollars by buying the game and guitar separate, but you wish to spend the same amount in the end.

My advice, your budget is really low. $120 is ridiculously cheap for a guitar, and you won't get anything new better than a starter guitar. The best starter guitar you will find is a Squier(not the Bullet line though). You should be able to get a Squier used for around $100 at the most if you watch craigslist and hit up pawn shops.

Also, Pawn shops can be a gold mine if you are willing to haggle and don't care if the guitar is beat up but still functional. I got an Ibanez SR800 bass at a pawnshop with only cosmetic damages for around $100. It's a Japanese bass and costs about $800 new. It's quite beat up, but still looks cool and plays fine.

If you can find a Samick at a pawn shop and talk them down to $120, that may be your best bet.
Last edited by W4RP1G at Oct 22, 2011,
I'd buy a used Yamaha Pacifica.
LTD Viper 1000 Deluxe
Simon & Patrick CW GT Vintageburst
Egnater Vengeance
ISP Technologies Theta (for sale)
ISP Technologies Vector (for sale)
Randall RG75DG2
Maxon OD808
Boss Super Shifter PS-5
Boss Chromatic Tuner TU-3
Quote by W4RP1G
Doomhappy,

Also, Pawn shops can be a gold mine if you are willing to haggle and don't care if the guitar is beat up but still functional. I got an Ibanez SR800 bass at a pawnshop with only cosmetic damages for around $100. It's a Japanese bass and costs about $800 new. It's quite beat up, but still looks cool and plays fine.

If you can find a Samick at a pawn shop and talk them down to $120, that may be your best bet.

This, I found a nice Kona in literally brand new condition with EMG pickups, mahogany neck, mahogany body, set neck. With a nice maple cap and green stain. It had literally no fretbuzz with lower action than my ibanez RG and it was only $150, then theres an ESP I found a couple weeks ago it was just a LTD F-50 but it was in good shape and had good fretwork for $80 so I would consider that a steal.
I think you should wait a little bit like around christmas time so that you have a little bit more money to spend
Quote by barden1069
A "tubescreamer" is a person paid by a guitarist to stand behind the amp and scream at the tubes. This terrifies the tubes into overdriving and delivers a thick, harmonic-rich tone.
Actually read it all, took me a good while but in general I think you're overthinking it far too much. Like it was said before, go for something that feels good in your hands and that can stay in tune. Screw tone, get a nice practice amp to start with instead. With 120 bucks, that's going to be reeeeally tight. I would reserve ~250 at the least for starter (that's including amp, cable, tuner and a strap). Less if you don't mind going used. You need to learn how to play first. If you learn some songs and like guitar playing in general, then you can look into a bit better guitar, something that is more defined in tone. The reason you're not finding reviews on guitars like this is probably because ..well it sounds harsh but 'no one cares' about these guitars enough to review them.
PRS SE Custom 22 <3
Fender Stratocaster '57 RI
Fender Super Champ XD
Tanglewood TW115 CW
Last edited by Azunaii at Oct 22, 2011,
Quote by thetalonguy
get a beginner book, take beginner online courses (i.e. justinguitar/youtube, and/or learn all the solid basics first.

+1. This is exactly what I would do, and wish I had done, if I were to start over. Get a guitar that you feel comfortable with, and know will stay in tune long enough for me to play a song. Check the tuners. If you find that some are really easy to turn and some super hard on the same headstock, I would recommend trying another guitar. Make sure you hold the guitar in your hands so that you're comfortable with it. It doesn't matter if you can't play anything, the store clerk will understand if you say you're just starting.

Definitely get an amp. No way you're going to turn on your xbox and launch the game every time you want to play something.

Eh, I see where this guy is coming from. But really, an amp isn't necessary. You'll be fine practicing unplugged, and can always get an amp later on. I don't see the big deal about practicing with an amp until you can get something that isn't a 15watt POS.

I've found that Rocksmith doesn't really teach you properly. I will guarantee you that any beginner who tries to learn on Rocksmith is going to develop very poor technique and form that will be very difficult to overcome in the future.

But any "self taught" guitar player will do exactly the same. They won't magically get better technique because they're using an amp and learning from tabs instead of using rocksmith.

1. Don't by Rocksmith
2. Buy a guitar
3. Learn to play it

Sounds much better to me.

Don't listen to people like this. Having something like rocksmith will almost definitely only improve your learning. You'll have a ton of songs to work towards and be able to play with proper backing tracks to help improve timing. You'll have access to amp tones and effects that you wouldn't other wise have. Oh and you'll actually be learning the right notes, instead of some half wrong tab.

Speaking from experience, you'll almost definitely want some form of motivation. This is what stopped me from playing for a long time, I couldn't think of any songs, I have nobody to jam with because I wasn't good enough, and guitar just became boring. Sitting down practicing scales is not what a beginner should be doing. They should be playing fun, easy songs to get them engaged and able to see guitar for what it is. A fun hobby.

I don't understand how people can't see how powerful of a tool rocksmith is. It's like they want people to not play guitar so they can be part of some super secret club.

Tl;dr get a guitar that you're comfortable with, an amp isn't necessary, self taught players generally have sloppy technique so get a book and watch youtube lessons, and rocksmith is an intensely powerful tool that will help not hinder you.

ps;
I think you should wait a little bit like around christmas time so that you have a little bit more money to spend

if you find a guitar that you really like but it's a little out of your budget, I would strongly recommend doing this.
Quote by CodeMonk
One of the first of many Rosksmith gamers that will show up here looking for help/advice.

And that is a bad thing? If it gets people interested in playing then that is all the matters. And if Rocksmith lets them enjoy there playing even more then that is a bonus.
from the looks of the rocksmith videos, i feel like it would be confusing as hell following the numbers on screen and all that jazz especially if you're new to guitar. that might just be me though.

the main thing you'll want to focus on for a first guitar will be feel though. go to guitar center or a local music shop where they sell guitars and just try everything in your budget out. dont rush it as well, if you're like 'eh i think i like this one...' it's better to take your time than buy something you dont like that much
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
My first guitar was (is ) something called a cruzer crafter. If you haven't heard of it, don't worry, you can consider yourself lucky that it didn't enter your life.

My point is that all first guitars are a little bit rubishy, but you just need something to get you through the first two or three years that won't make you feel sick to look at. Getting a squier is probably your best bet, good value and easy to play.
@chadreed32
One of the most important things we forget when becoming an adult and putting our child ways aside is to always challenge your limitations no matter how big or little they may be. Forums are no exception, lol.

@Sinister Waffle
As someone who has been teaching themselves the drums every chance I have gotten the opportunity to sit behind an actual set every since I was in elementary school. I can't say enough the vast improvement in my playing after playing Rockband. And at the same time I have friends who play and are excellent RB drummers but I can't help but notice there are things they make infinitely harder for themselves because of lack of any formal technique.

I see Rocksmith more like guitar trainer rather than guitar teacher.

@davem27
The thing is, just cause someone learns from a video game doesn't mean they can ONLY learn from a video game. It doesn't have to be either or and just cause there are notes on the screen doesn't mean you HAVE to play them exactly as you see them. Much to the dismay of my friends on RB, there have been many times I stopped playing by what I see and just going off of what I hear.

@JKHC
There is a difference between (was) a gamer and still a gamer. And I have to say my interest is waning a bit but not for lack of desire but I find games are catering more and more to people who favor graphics, instant gratification, and easy mode rather than people who play because they like to challenge themselves. But that said my PS3 still sees a lot of use but you never know, I might really take to guitar and make it my main hobby. And should that happen I can just sell my PS3 and my games for an easy 200-350 bucks and get me a real guitar.

@Darkdevil725
Yeah I was looking the SX's and have actually settled on seriously getting this one as my next guitar. Not really that big of a fan of the set neck or stoptails though as I like string through bodies more but that thing is just pretty. Honestly if my budget was just a little bit better I'd seriously consider getting it now but even then I think going with something cheaper as my first guitar would be better for me. Every time I look at it I want to be 100% sure I can take care of it properly. Reading and doing are two different things and I don't want to be learning to do something on it... mess up and damage the appearance or performance of it. And I definitely don't want to learn that the spot that I 'thought' a guitar would be fine actually was too humid or dry and ends up warping it.

And I get where people are coming from with Rocksmith. It happened with Rockband when people were throwing around stuff, if you can play expert drums on RB you can play the drums. Which while partially true was a big exaggeration but a lot of people see games like this and see it as a stand alone teaching apparatus. So their concern is warranted. For every sensible person like me there are at least 50-100 people who think by just getting some cheap guitar and this game that's all they'll need to be the next Hendrix or Jimmy Page.

@W4RP1G
Yeah, I do write a lot. But it is a safety mechanic I use on forums most of the time without thinking. The sad fact is, for the most part, the dumber a person is the less they like to read. So by making long posts it is my own little 'dummy filter'. They'll come in... see all the words and their feeble little minds will shout MISSION ABORT. And I'm get one less stupid reply. I also repeat a lot of my points because people like to skim so making a point once is sometimes not enough if people are only reading the first and last sentences.

As for going used. Right now I have a 4 stage process in mind. First is to get a new cheapo to learn on. Second stage I upgrade from a new cheapo to a new intermediate level guitar. Third stage is my mod stage where I start dumping money into my first guitar its also when I'll be going around the most and playing everything I can get my hands on to test those parts to find out what I really want. Fourth stage, if I get that far, I'll hopefully have a tight grasp on my playing style and preferred feel and take the kid gloves off and start looking for the one I want and the only opinion I really need is my own.

@Pattrcik/Darkdevil - Look Above

@RealGuitarHero
The thing is. I can do that. I can wait 2 months and come X-mas or New years get the game and a 200-250 dollar guitar. OR..... I can get a cheap guitar and the game now, and wait 1-3 months after the holidays and THEN get a 200-250 dollar guitar with the knowledge of knowing how to play it some, how to take care of it, and what I want in sound, quality, and feel.

@Azunaii
That is the disturbing part but also what makes me so morbidly curious. If a product sucks.. there are going to be reviews about how much it sucks. If its good there are gonna be reviews of how good it is. But either way there ARE going to be reviews. So the fact that there are hardly ANY reviews at all makes it a wild card. It is an unknown... its just not popular. Now with games I have found a lot of GREAT unpopular games and the reason they have so few reviews is because the few people playing it are too busy having fun with the game to be bothered to stop long enough to share their opinions with the internet. And then there are those games that are unpopular for a reason. So it can go either way. Which kinda makes me excited... I could be an absolute gem or and absolute POS still 78 dollars is not that bad of a gamble. I spend that much when I go out on a date. So at most even if it sucks it'll cost me about the same as a bad date and lord knows I've wasted enough money on those.

@Aleene
Yeah I don't get it entirely either myself. But I guess some people think that if you NEED a video game to stay interested in guitar than you are more into the game than the instrument and once the game gets old the guitar is going to get old. So you're going to have a lot of fairweather/bandwagon guitarist but for some people, hopefully like me, this game might just give my motivation to keep at it the push it needs to take off on its own. And thanks for the advice on the tuners. I'll definitely keep that in mind and put it to use before I settle on a guitar.

@CodeMonk/Darkdevil
It can be a bad thing. If the saying "One person can be smart but people will always be stupid" holds true. Then the more people involved in any activity or community the higher the potential of stupidity becomes.

@JAHellraiser/AzzaScar/everyone else
Yeah that is good advice from you both. But it just needs to hold me over till maybe February-March but might hold out till April. But yeah the more and more I think about it the more I might just stick with the $78 OI14. Everything I like in the 120 dollar price range is between 110-120 dollars with tax. So money wise spending an extra 35-45 dollars might not be worth it. If the OI14 is not a complete and utter POS and functions properly I think I will just keep it. It does accomplish my goal in getting the most guitar per dollar I think and I can take the extra 35-45 dollars I WOULD have spent on a 100-120 dollar guitar and put it in a jar and use it as a start towards saving up for something in the 200-300 dollar range.
Quote by Doomhappy
@W4RP1G
Yeah, I do write a lot. But it is a safety mechanic I use on forums most of the time without thinking. The sad fact is, for the most part, the dumber a person is the less they like to read. So by making long posts it is my own little 'dummy filter'. They'll come in... see all the words and their feeble little minds will shout MISSION ABORT. And I'm get one less stupid reply. I also repeat a lot of my points because people like to skim so making a point once is sometimes not enough if people are only reading the first and last sentences.

As for going used. Right now I have a 4 stage process in mind. First is to get a new cheapo to learn on. Second stage I upgrade from a new cheapo to a new intermediate level guitar. Third stage is my mod stage where I start dumping money into my first guitar its also when I'll be going around the most and playing everything I can get my hands on to test those parts to find out wh
at I really want. Fourth stage, if I get that far, I'll hopefully have a tight grasp on my playing style and preferred feel and take the kid gloves off and start looking for the one I want and the only opinion I really need is my own.

Ok I see your point about the long post.

I've been playing for over 12 years and have owned about 15 guitars, and other instruments as well. I'll tell you from experience that buying used is the best way to get a better guitar for on a smaller budget. If you insist on getting a new guitar, your options are going to be terrible, but if you go used, you can get something decent. It's all fine and well to say you'll get something just to play right now and something better later, but i you learn on a cheap guitar with poor fret work, bad tuning stability, and horrid electronics, it's going to be a rough road.

You'll be surprised at how soon you'll be ready for that "4th stage" guitar. If you get something good now and watch and learn on these forums(there's some great advice here), your whole experience will be better, you'll save money, and you'll be ready for that pro level guitar sooner than you thing.

Basically, if you can avoid the junk throw-away starter guitar, do it, you don't need it.
Quote by Doomhappy
@chadreed32
@JKHC
There is a difference between (was) a gamer and still a gamer. And I have to say my interest is waning a bit but not for lack of desire but I find games are catering more and more to people who favor graphics, instant gratification, and easy mode rather than people who play because they like to challenge themselves. But that said my PS3 still sees a lot of use but you never know, I might really take to guitar and make it my main hobby. And should that happen I can just sell my PS3 and my games for an easy 200-350 bucks and get me a real guitar.

Don't even think about selling your PS3, never never . I still have my 360 because I'll probably use it when a bad-ass game comes out eventually.
But honestly, I think that reading tabs and looking up covers/lessons on youtube would be easier than using Rocksmith to learn.
Its just another option I'm throwing out there, and I know alot of people will disagree with me (I'm not sure if I believe in it either) but you could go find the cheapest electric guitar out there. Like a used Squier Bullet for around $40-$50. And at christmas when you get money just sell that (or keep it) and get a better one.

God....now I'mma play some Black Ops.....this topic gave me the sudden urge to...
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
@W4GP1G
Yeah you are probably right about the 4th stage bit. I'm already doing random checks on craigslist just to see what is there in my area but just to see what is out there mostly. The only guitar I find myself really wanting new under the 300 dollar price so far is the SX Callisto CUS CS Well not the ONLY but the others I have in mind I wouldn't be too heart broken if I got it used. But yeah if I don't get that one I just might go diving in the used guitars bin and see what I come up with. I can see now the kind of gems you can find buying use because some guitars just have a unique tone and quality that it can only get from being used for a long period of time. It is very very tempting... and something I'm already seriously considering for my second guitar.

@JKHC
Honestly at this point I think I know enough mechanically about how guitars work to get a decent used one but I'd only get one if a warranty was included. But yeah, 78 dollar OI14 is not too far from 50 bucks. So 28 bucks more for something new is not that bad. When I go out do play pool or do the dinner and the movie thing I usually pay 40-60 bucks. So all its costing me is spending one night in and an extra 18 bucks. So I think I might stick with it if its not a total piece of junk and at the very least I like the fact that its unique so even when I get a new guitar it can still be a nice conversation piece when people go "What kind of guitar is this?" when they see its not a Fender/Squier, Gibson/Epiphone, Yamaha, or any of the other popular brands.
If I didn't own a guitar I would just buy the pack with the Epi LP junior. It's really not that bad of a guitar. What in your mind is the benefit of a neck pickup? Especially if you don't plan on getting a real amp.

Ha ^ I love that you used the term "mechanically" when talking about guitars. They are not exactly combustion engines. Its wood and the most basic electronics.
Last edited by MonkeysHamlet at Oct 23, 2011,
Quote by MonkeysHamlet

Ha ^ I love that you used the term "mechanically" when talking about guitars. They are not exactly combustion engines. Its wood and the most basic electronics.

And an expert on combustion engines might think pickups are mechanical.......
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
@MonkeysHamlet
There are a number of reasons why I want a dual pick up over a single humbucker at the bridge.

The first is. I'm simple. Even if the neck pick up his horrible or the quality of tone is not even noticeable, the fact remains I like having dials, buttons, and switches to play with. So the simple act of pausing reaching down and hitting something that goes click will make me giggle inside.

If the difference in sound is noticeable then multiply my enjoyment times 100. Even if it sounds like poop, I like control, so I can make it sound funny or I can play it normally. That little difference can be the difference between me playing for 1-2 hours that day before I get bored and playing for 2-4 hours. And the more you play the faster you get better.

Secondly I've already said this guitar will be my project guitar once I get a more suitable one. So even though a LP JR will be suitable for me to learn on once I get to the stage of modding, it would be just THAT much more work cutting into the body to set up a pick up at the neck. Though I can't play a guitar there is nothing wrong with my ears and by listening to a lot of them I know that I want a dual humbucker sound. And just because I'm not getting an amp now doesn't mean I'm never going to get one.

Thirdly, did I mention I like buttons and toggles and stuff?

Fourthly, I like standing out. And I know about half the people who get this game will be getting the bundle. And that is going to be a lot of people with LP JR's. So I figured if the guitar costs 120 in the bundle, why settle for getting what everyone else is getting when I can spend the money to get something that fits my tastes and personality better. Even if I settle on a LP JR I can at least get it in a color I want rather than being stuck to the sunburst look.

Fifthly, I think that the people who get the bundle and are relying entirely on the game to make them into a superstar will realize its not going to happen that way... get tired of it and move on. So come say around... March, give or take a month, there is going to be A LOT of LP JR's for sale and if it gets flooded enough... for dirt cheap. So if I really want to own one I think then would be the best time to get one.

Sixthly, no seriously... I really really like buttons especially when they do stuff. I think that is why I type so much when I post. Cause it goes clickity clickity clickity .... Come to think about it, it might be in my best interest to see a therapist about my love for buttons and things of the electric/mechanical manipulation nature.

Seventhly..... Ooo a button. Clickity clickity clickity clackity tap tap tap push push... Oh what was I saying? Oh right buttons, dials ,and switches....I like them.

Seriously though on to the next topic.
I only used mechanically in its most loose form. Just saying now I have a better idea of what makes a good guitar good and a bad guitar bad. So I'm less likely to buy a cheap used guitar only to find it'll cost more than I paid for it to have it fixed or set up properly.

EDIT: Oh and currently I am more a fan of hardtail/string through bodies than I am of stoptails.
Last edited by Doomhappy at Oct 24, 2011,
I suggested Samick earlier because they are made in Korea, a pretty decent quality, and the resell is low because Samick is a less known name, even though they make many of the Korean guitars. I see them all the time at pawn shops for dirt cheap.
Page 1 of 2