hey, i wonder what happen if i put electric guitar strings and an electric guitar pickup in my acoustic... May i know what will happen to that. thnx. and pls don't flame me
I think it will sound kind of awful and will feedback horribly if you play with any kind of distortion
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Actually, the first "electric" guitars were simply acoustic guitars with a pickup added. Electric pickups became available in the 30s, as I recall. Charlie Christian played an electrically-amplified guitar with Benny Goodman's band.

Anyway... Sure, you can do it, and you likely wouldn't even have to resort to electric strings. Regular steel strings should excite the magnetic field of a typical pickup just fine.

If you think about it, the installation would be very similar to a soundhole-mounted magnetic pickup.
I wouldn't recommend carving a hole in your vintage Martin... But what the hey...

Things to watch out for.... The pickup mounting hole must be precisely cut, and you have to make sure there is enough travel for the adjusting screws to get the pole pieces close to the strings.
You would want to solder up your wiring harness before hand, as you'll be working "blind" inside the guitar body. Best to use an endpin-jack for the output plug.
why not use an acoustic guitar pickup? it'll sound better as it's made specifically for an acoustic. you can either use a removable soundhole pickup like this one http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/seymour-duncan-woody-xl-adjustable-pole-pieces-soundhole-pickup/300958000000000

or a permanent one like this one
http://www.maurysmusic.com/inc/sdetail/k_k_mini_pure_western/217/174
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Quote by patticake
why not use an acoustic guitar pickup? it'll sound better as it's made specifically for an acoustic. you can either use a removable soundhole pickup like this one http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/seymour-duncan-woody-xl-adjustable-pole-pieces-soundhole-pickup/300958000000000
I think the "Woody XL" is what he's looking for, he just doesn't know it yet. That's essentially "an electric guitar pickup".
Quote by Bikewer

Anyway... Sure, you can do it, and you likely wouldn't even have to resort to electric strings. Regular steel strings should excite the magnetic field of a typical pickup just fine.
Electric guitar strings are generally called, "nickel wound". To the best of my knowledge, nickel is not a magnetic element. Point being, electric strings are probably activating the pickups mostly off the cores anyway. That said, I'm taking their word for it that the windings are all, or mostly nickel, and that the material in the windings is chosen mostly for its sonic coloration.

Anyways, get back to us if you have anything to add to this.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Oct 22, 2011,
can i just put electric guitar strings in my accoustic and an electric guitar pickup?
You can put electric strings on an acoustic, but it will sound VERY bright.

You can also put an electric pup in you acoustic. It will take some mods but it can be done. Its not recommended (poor sound and feedback are the main two issues).

The question is... why do you want too?
--- Joe ---
77 Bradley LPC || 07 PRS CE22 || 11 PRS MC58 Artist || 95/02 Fender Strat || 99 Gibson LP DC Std Lite
06 Ovation Elite-T || 12 Martin GPCPA4
Boss GT100 || Peavey Stereo Chorus 400 || Peavey Bandit 75 || Roland JC77
Electric guitar pickups are made for electric guitars.
Electric guitar strings are made for electric guitars.
Acoustic guitar pickups are made for acoustic guitars.
Acoustic guitar strings are made for acoustic guitars.
Get an acoustic guitar pickup and stick with the acoustic guitar strings.
Much simpler.
Quote by Auriemma
You can put electric strings on an acoustic, but it will sound VERY bright.

You can also put an electric pup in you acoustic. It will take some mods but it can be done. Its not recommended (poor sound and feedback are the main two issues).

The question is... why do you want too?

Because, electric guitars are expensive. Are you sure it can be done? Why is it others are saying it can't be done?
Believe it or not, there was a time where there wasn't the plethora of strings and materials we have today. All the strings were steel. And where do you think electric guitars came from... by putting pickups in acoustics.

No one says you CANNOT put steel strings and an electric pup in your acoustic. You can. For the most part, we all agree you shouldn't because it will sound bad.

To be on the safe side, look at the acoustic strings you currently use and set one ot two steps up (which your guitar should be able to handle). Check the tension pressures listed. Then look at the steel strings and their tension ratings that you plan on trying. I'll bet the steels aren't that much higher than their equivalent acoustic counterparts.

Why not just pick up a CHEAP electric and save yourself the time, modding cost, and trouble... and save your acoustic the extra holes?
--- Joe ---
77 Bradley LPC || 07 PRS CE22 || 11 PRS MC58 Artist || 95/02 Fender Strat || 99 Gibson LP DC Std Lite
06 Ovation Elite-T || 12 Martin GPCPA4
Boss GT100 || Peavey Stereo Chorus 400 || Peavey Bandit 75 || Roland JC77
Last edited by Auriemma at Oct 28, 2011,
in the u.s. you can get an electric guitar new for around a hundred bucks, and used for less. an acoustic guitar with a pickup will not sound or play like an electric guitar - which are you trying to achieve; an acoustic electric that sounds like an acoustic guitar with a pickup, or a sound like an electric - or do you just want to have a guitar you can plug in, and don't care about the sound?
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Last edited by patticake at Oct 28, 2011,
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by GaryBillington
Remembered about this thread when I saw this on eBay:
I think you have discovered the quintessential ......?

Perhaps, "WTF" should be the headstock emblem on that jewel.....