Hi all,

I broke my left arm before I ever started playing guitar, when I was 8. This limited my range of motion in my left arm a little bit. For example, if I hold my arms out with palms facing the sky, I can twist my right forearm further so that the palm faces away from me a little bit, whereas my left palm is facing straight up or even a little bit towards me.

For right-handed guitar playing, it is necessary to be able to rotate the forearm pretty far away from the body for playing certain chords and long intervals on the fret board.

I played guitar for a long time with this limitation...barre chords are still a problem sometimes because of the range of motion. I felt really crappy because I realized I was physically unable to be a great player because of this, even though my right hand technique is good.

Then the idea popped into my head of switching to lefty. Feels stupid to do so after all these years (decades?) of playing righty, but I am hoping that the knowledge I have in my left hand can be transferred to my right hand without taking another decade.

Has anyone had experience switching from their dominant side to their non-dominant? Or, are there certain recurring weaknesses/downsides to left-handed people who learned righty guitar? For example - is the picking hand never as dextrous as for a natural righty, or does that even out over time?

Thanks guys. Just looking for some ideas and info on this since I would be starting from scratch and I want to make sure the commitment could potentially be worth it in the long run.

-BG99
Ideas?

Wait for your arm to heal then start playing. You're only making it worse, regardless of with which arm you're playing.
Quote by Zeletros
Ideas?

Wait for your arm to heal then start playing. You're only making it worse, regardless of with which arm you're playing.

I broke my arm when I was 8. I am now 27. It's probably as healed as it's going to get.
Quote by BillyGoat99
I broke my arm when I was 8. I am now 27. It's probably as healed as it's going to get.

Then you shouldn't have any troubles playing guitar as you were, considering you did just "break" an arm.
Quote by Zeletros
Then you shouldn't have any troubles playing guitar as you were, considering you did just "break" an arm.

Your helpful comments are much appreciated.

Anyone else that can actually respond to the original post? Thanks.
It's a real nuisance to switch sides. You have to retrain your hands to do everything and it takes a lot of time and perseverance. I'd say just angle your guitar up a bit. Then you won't have to turn your arm as much and you should be able to play without a problem.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.